PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Texas Rangers

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
After playing well after the All-Star break last year could this be the year the Rangers break through and make the playoffs?

Here is the projected starting lineup from Texasrangers.com with all the offseason moves

C. Gerald Laird (I think it will be Saltys job after spring training if he doesnt play first.)
DH: Catalanotto (pretty much open for the taking I think)
1B. Ben Broussard (Shelton and Catalanoto are listed as backups not sure what will happen with first.)
2B. Ian Kinsler
3B. Hank Blalock
SS. Mike Young
RF. Milton Bradley (Scrabble according to JR)
CF. J Hamilton (Former number 1 overrall pick acquired from Reds)
LF. Marlon Byrd (had a strong 2007 season for the Rangers)

Starters:
Millwood
Padilla
Gabbard
McCarthy
Loe

Bullpen:
Wilson
Guardado
Benoit
Fransisco
Littleton
Fukumori
Feldman
Rupe

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
They signed Jason Jennings for the rotation ysterday

And no they will nomake the play-offs..record wise IMO they will take a step back this year

Emerson1
01-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Hicks still hasn't sold them yet? The league should put in a rule, if a franchise doesn't make the playoffs for a certain period, the owner has to sell the team because they are cheap

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Hicks still hasn't sold them yet? The league should put in a rule, if a franchise doesn't make the playoffs for a certain period, the owner has to sell the team because they are cheap

One of the biggest misconceptions.I am not a Hicks fan, but when he bought the team he emptied the bank, and it failed...terribly..So now they ae trying to build the team thru the minor leaguesd develop talent...He is not cheap,just trying to do it the right way and that takes time

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
After playing well after the All-Star break last year could this be the year the Rangers break through and make the playoffs?

Here is the projected starting lineup from Texasrangers.com with all the offseason moves

C. Gerald Laird (I think it will be Saltys job after spring training if he doesnt play first.)
1B. Ben Broussard (Shelton and Catalanoto are listed as backups not sure what will happen with first.)
2B. Ian Kinsler
3B. Hank Blalock
SS. Mike Young

Starters:
Millwood
Padilla
Gabbard
McCarthy
Loe

Bullpen:
Wilson
Guardado
Benoit
Fransisco
Littleton
Fukumori
Feldman
Rupe

Texasrangers.com is off their rocker with some of those statements...either that or they haven't updated in a while.

Here's my projection for the roster:

C-Jarrod Saltalamacchia
1B-Ben Broussard (Shelton was DFA'd, so he's already gone
2B-Ian Kinsler
3B-Hank Blalock
SS-Michael Young
LF-David Murphy
CF-Josh Hamilton
RF-Marlon Byrd
DH-Milton Bradley (I imagine Texas will take their time getting him back into the OF after his injury last year.)

SP-Kevin Millwood
SP-Vicente Padilla
SP-Jason Jennings
SP-Brandon McCarthy
SP-Kason Gabbard

Pen:
Jamey Wright
Kameron Loe
Frank Fransisco
Kazuo Fukimori
Joaquin Benoit
Eddie Guardado
C.J. Wilson

Bench:
Frank Catalanotto (will play close to every day subbing around the field and at DH)
Ramon Vazquez
Jason Botts (last chance for him with the Rangers)
Gerald Laird (will split time with Salty and allow Salty to DH on occassion)

I think they'll win about 75 games this year, but they should set themselves up to be serious contenders by 2009. They have some of the deepest talent in the minors in all of baseball right now, and guys like Eric Hurley, Taylor Teagarden, Chris Davis, and German Duran are very close to pushing for spots this year.

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I am thinking more like 2010/2011 before they can be really considered a threat, alot of minor league talent, but that talent IMO will need a year in the Majors..IF even half turn out to be Major leaguers that is

Sweetwater Red
01-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
One of the biggest misconceptions.I am not a Hicks fan, but when he bought the team he emptied the bank, and it failed...terribly..So now they ae trying to build the team thru the minor leaguesd develop talent...He is not cheap,just trying to do it the right way and that takes time

True. Look at the Tigers. They would have been sold six times
in the last 20 years if that was a rule. They started getting the
right pieces in place about three or four years ago with the
signing of Pudge. This year some of their games are going to
look like they're having batting peactice. Winning takes time.
Unless you're Wayne Huz-whatever(?) and bring in six or seven high
priced free agents, win a WS, and then blow up the team.

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I am thinking more like 2010/2011 before they can be really considered a threat, alot of minor league talent, but that talent IMO will need a year in the Majors..IF even half turn out to be Major leaguers that is

See, I think that a lot of that talent is already here.

Kinsler, Saltalamacchia, Wilson, Gabbard, McCarthy and Hamilton are all very young with huge upside. All of them began showing that they were learning the curve last year, and I think this will be a big year of growing for many of them again, setting them in prime position next year to at least contend for a playoff berth. Oakland is in demolition mode, and Seattle is looking like a team in transition. The Angels keep adding veterans, but for the most part, their core keeps getting older (with the obvious exceptions of Kendrick, Weaver and Santana). I don't expect the Rangers to go out and dominate next year, but I think they'll at least be in the hunt for a berth, and the last decade has shown us that once you get in, anything is possible.

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
True. Look at the Tigers. They would have been sold six times
in the last 20 years if that was a rule. They started getting the
right pieces in place about three or four years ago with the
signing of Pudge. This year some of their games are going to
look like they're having batting peactice. Winning takes time.
Unless you're Wayne Huz-whatever(?) and bring in six or seven high
priced free agents, win a WS, and then blow up the team.

:mad: you can thank John Hart for determining that Pudge was on the downswing of his career five years ago....he was one of those guys that should have been a lifelong Ranger.

I'm happy to see he got his ring in Florida and plays for a contender in Detroit.

Adidas410s
01-17-2008, 11:34 AM
agree...2008 is a year where we hope to see progress from young players...and consistency from the starting rotation. 09 should be a very fun year! :) If it's not...then JD will be shown the door!

jimmyceatworld
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM

Was that a serious question? Hopefully the Rangers will prove me wrong, but I don't see them going too far ... this year anyway

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

C-Jarrod Saltalamacchia
1B-Ben Broussard (Shelton was DFA'd, so he's already gone
I dont see why they traded for Shelton and then Designated him for Assignment that doesnt make sense to me

jason
01-17-2008, 12:01 PM
baseball = yaaaaawn

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by jason
baseball = yaaaaawn

:clap:

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I dont see why they traded for Shelton and then Designated him for Assignment that doesnt make sense to me

At the time, the Rangers didn't have anybody to play first base. They wanted Broussard, but he was under contract with Seattle and the Mariners were hesitant to deal him within the division. So the Rangers covered their butts by trading for Shelton, giving up a minor league OF who wouldn't have ever made it to the Rangers. When the Mariners ultimately decided to get rid of Broussard and trade him within the division, the need for Shelton decreased, and by keeping him, they essentially would have had to let both Botts and Cruz go...now they can keep one of the two and let the other go.

Astrosdawg07
01-17-2008, 04:46 PM

2B. Ian Kinsler
3B. Hank Blalock
SS. Mike Young

Starters:
Millwood
Padilla
Gabbard
McCarthy
Loe

Bullpen:
Wilson
Guardado
Benoit
Fransisco
Littleton
Fukumori
Feldman
Rupe
Whenever Kevin Millwood is your #1 starter, you are in big trouble!

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Whenever Kevin Millwood is your #1 starter, you are in big trouble!

a team full of number 2 and 3 starters is way better than a team with an ace and a bunch of 4 or 5s any day. Heck, look at the Astros rotation...I'd take the Rangers over the Astros heads up right now without thinking twice.

Astrosdawg07
01-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
a team full of number 2 and 3 starters is way better than a team with an ace and a bunch of 4 or 5s any day. Heck, look at the Astros rotation...I'd take the Rangers over the Astros heads up right now without thinking twice.

Ya you do that and let's see who finishes with the better record. The Astros will be much better then what people think. If Backe comes back strong this could be a scary good team.

crzyjournalist03
01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Ya you do that and let's see who finishes with the better record. The Astros will be much better then what people think. If Backe comes back strong this could be a scary good team.

considering that the Rangers finished two games better than Houston last year and were a mess of a team for more than half the season, I'll take those odds.

Astrosdawg07
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Ok...

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Ya you do that and let's see who finishes with the better record. The Astros will be much better then what people think. If Backe comes back strong this could be a scary good team. Your putting your hopes on Brandon Backe :doh:

Astrosdawg07
01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Your putting your hopes on Brandon Backe :doh:

Hey the guy knows how to win the big games...You know Roy will be solid, and all you need is another 10 - 15 game winner and they will be in good shape...

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey the guy knows how to win the big games...You know Roy will be solid, and all you need is another 10 - 15 game winner and they will be in good shape... Backe has only won 22 career games in what at least 4 years what makes you think he is going to get 15 this year?

Astrosdawg07
01-17-2008, 07:24 PM
He really hasn't pitched a full season yet, and I just hoping for 10.

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
He really hasn't pitched a full season yet, and I just hoping for 10. i love Millwood hes a quality pitcher he won the Era title not too long ago too bad he only went 9-11 the year he won it with the Indians.:doh:

iknoweverything
01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/kryten1/posterEAP21.jpg

injuredinmelee
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
more than 80 losses

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
more than 80 losses ill take 81-81

SintonFan_inAustin
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM

2B. Ian Kinsler
3B. Hank Blalock
SS. Mike Young

Starters:
Millwood
Padilla
Gabbard
McCarthy
Loe

Bullpen:
Wilson
Guardado
Benoit
Fransisco
Littleton
Fukumori
Feldman
Rupe :D Now thats a Championship roster ;) or at least Texas Champions.:)

crzyjournalist03
01-18-2008, 10:39 AM
He really hasn't pitched a full season yet, and I just hoping for 10.

Ok...so you get around 17 wins from Oswalt, 10 from Backe, and a 13 game-winner (midway between 10-15) and you think that makes for a great team???

That's 40 wins...so unless you want your other two starters and bullpen to win a combined 50 games, you're looking at trouble.

Astrosdawg07
01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Let's see what some of the young kids can do, Sampson will surprise some people this year. And if that Hernandez kid can get back to what he was a few years ago, it will be a good rotation..