PDA

View Full Version : Panhandler wanting quarter found with $3,426.78

Maroon87
01-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Panhandler wanting quarter found with $3,426.78

05:50 PM CST on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

By Jason Whitely / 11 News

Mention panhandlers to most METRO riders and you hear the same thing.

"It's bad,” explained rider Laura Garrett, “They have little children coming up to you asking 'Ma'am do you have a quarter, a dime, a dollar?'"

Metro Police says it's one of the biggest complaints they get, too.

But panhandlers, especially the aggressive ones, are hard to catch in the act like the one undercover officers ran across in downtown Houston Monday afternoon.

"He asked the lady for money and she refused,” said METRO Police Capt. Mike Raney. “He continued the request for more money. The officer was standing just a few feet from the panhandler at the time."

Police stepped in and questioned 42-year-old James Dillon but were not expecting what they were about to find on him.

When Dillon did not have any ID, plain clothes police officers searched him. Looking down in one pocket they found a wad of $1,700 in cash. Looking in the other pocket they found even more money and another citation for panhandling issued last month.

The homeless man’s cash added up to $3,426.78.

And he was caught asking for another quarter.

"They sometimes will have a fair sum of money but not that large a sum of money,” Raney added. “That's more than some of us have in our savings account."

Three months ago, METRO Police started placing undercover officers on city buses and light rail trains trying to eliminate the nuisance of panhandling for riders.

Cops caught one but police admit the problem persists.

Dillon told officers he had been saving his money but could not deposit it in a bank since he had no identification.

He got to keep the cash but was written a new ticket for panhandling.

Emerson1
01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't blame him. In vegas a panhandler can make $20 an hour. People need to help them out less, it's not that hard for them to find jobs, they just don't want to do it.

piratebg
01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't blame him. In vegas a panhandler can make $20 an hour. People need to help them out less, it's not that hard for them to find jobs, they just don't want to do it.

$20 an hour??? I'm definitely in the wrong business.

LH Panther Mom
01-16-2008, 09:46 PM
I've got a nice piece of cardboard that I'm thinking of painting with "will work for food" after the 31st. ;)

When we lived in Lubbock, there was a corner I passed every day on the way home from work where the same man stood with a sign. One of the TV stations did a story on panhandling and interviewed the same guy. He said on a "good" day, he could get as much as $800, but the "normal" days were around $200-$300. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Adidas410s
01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
when we lived in Corpus...there was a corner by my dad's office that was a regular spot. If you watched at lunchtime...they would walk around the back of the Wal-Mart and drive off in a Mercedes...come back about an hour later and put back on their "work clothes."

eagles_victory
01-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
when we lived in Corpus...there was a corner by my dad's office that was a regular spot. If you watched at lunchtime...they would walk around the back of the Wal-Mart and drive off in a Mercedes...come back about an hour later and put back on their "work clothes." that reminds me of a scene from the movie "Dont Be a Meance to the South Central While Drinking Your Juice In the Hood"

JasperDog94
01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
All they need to do is to go outside a Rockets game. I've had the same guy asking for money 3 times this year....and I've only been to 4 games. He hit me up last year at least 8 times.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
amazing!

Emerson1
01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
All they need to do is to go outside a Rockets game. I've had the same guy asking for money 3 times this year....and I've only been to 4 games. He hit me up last year at least 8 times.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
After mavericks games you usually pass atleast 3.

Maroon87
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

When I first moved to Houston (1996), downtown was no place to be, especially after dark. But it's undergone a real change since then and is at least a lot nicer to look at.

Unfortunately, the same "element" is still there.

Sweetwater Red
01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
The worst town in Texas that I've experienced panhandler's
is Temple. I had some friends that lived there. I would go down
to visit them from time to time. It seemed like everytime I went
anywhere there was someone asking me for spare change.:(

SWMustang
01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Seeing Pan handlers was culture shock for me when I moved to Houston from Sweetwater via San Angelo. Now I don't even blink when I see them. They're just part of the landscape. That's what the city does to ya. I sure don't give 'em any money either. It may sound cruel, but you wouldn't go buy them crack or heroine and that's prolly where that money's going.

pirate4state
01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
spare some change? :cool: :D

Maroon87
01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Seeing Pan handlers was culture shock for me when I moved to Houston from Sweetwater via San Angelo. Now I don't even blink when I see them. They're just part of the landscape. That's what the city does to ya. I sure don't give 'em any money either. It may sound cruel, but you wouldn't go buy them crack or heroine and that's prolly where that money's going.

I've seen one before at 59 & Chimney Rock with this sign:

KEEP THE MONEY...JUST BUY ME A BEER.

At least he's honest.;)