PDA

View Full Version : UFO Sighting Reported Over Stephenville (merged)

ILS1
01-14-2008, 09:29 PM
STEPHENVILLE, Texas - In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO.

Several dozen people — including a pilot, county constable and business owners — insist they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "It was positively, absolutely nothing from these parts."

While federal officials insist there's a logical explanation, locals swear that it was larger, quieter, faster and lower to the ground than an airplane. They also said the object's lights changed configuration, unlike those of a plane. People in several towns who reported seeing it over several weeks have offered similar descriptions of the object.

Machinist Ricky Sorrells said friends made fun of him when he told them he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Dublin home. But he decided to come forward after reading similar accounts in the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.

"You hear about big bass or big buck in the area, but this is a different deal," Sorrells said. "It feels good to hear that other people saw something, because that means I'm not crazy."

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of Jan. 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Lewis said the object may have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and may appear orange from the setting sun.

"I'm 90 percent sure this was an airliner," Lewis said. "With the sun's angle, it can play tricks on you."

Officials at the region's two Air Force bases — Dyess in Abilene and Sheppard in Wichita Falls — also said none of their aircraft were in the area last week. The Air Force no longer investigates UFOs.

One man has offered a reward for a photograph or videotape of the mysterious object.

About 200 UFO sightings are reported each month, mostly in California, Colorado and Texas, according to the Mutual UFO Network, which plans to go to the 17,000-resident town of Stephenville to investigate.

Fourteen percent of Americans polled last year by The Associated Press and Ipsos say they have seen a UFO.

Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan said that he first saw red glowing lights and then white flashing lights moving fast, but that even with binoculars could not see the object to which the lights were attached.

"I didn't see a flying saucer and I don't know what it was, but it wasn't an airplane, and I've never seen anything like it," Gaitan said. "I think it must be some kind of military craft — at least I hope it was."

Story Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080114/ap_on_fe_st/odd_ufo_sightings)

Emerson1
01-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Emerson1
01-14-2008, 10:07 PM
WTH, me and jason saw this after we ate this weekend

Chopblock
01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Sounds like they had been at dollar longneck night at BOSTOCKS I know i have seen several UFO's after a night at Bostocks

Antec
01-14-2008, 10:59 PM
There were some UFO sightings between Wharton and Bay City, near Magnet--Hwy 60 way back in the late 60s.-

Drew some attention and had a couple of stories written

charlesrixey
01-15-2008, 07:27 AM
please take me home!

:D

BullFrog Dad
01-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Isn't Marfa the town that has the lights on the horizon that can't be explained?

jason
01-15-2008, 08:29 AM
LINK (http://www.yahoo.com/s/783367)

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/14/ufo.sightings.ap/index.html)

STEPHENVILLE, Texas (AP) -- In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO.

Ricky Sorrells says he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Texas home.

Several dozen people -- including a pilot, county constable and business owners -- say they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

"People wonder what in the world it is because this is the Bible Belt, and everyone is afraid it's the end of times," said Steve Allen, a freight company owner and pilot who said the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "It was positively, absolutely nothing from these parts."

While federal officials say there's a logical explanation, locals swear that it was larger, quieter, faster and lower to the ground than an airplane. They also said the object's lights changed configuration, unlike those of a plane. People in several towns who reported seeing it over several weeks have offered similar descriptions of the object.

Machinist Ricky Sorrells said friends made fun of him when he told them he saw a flat, metallic object hovering about 300 feet over a pasture behind his Dublin, Texas, home. But he decided to come forward after reading similar accounts in the Stephenville Empire-Tribune.

"You hear about big bass or big buck in the area, but this is a different deal," Sorrells said. "It feels good to hear that other people saw something, because that means I'm not crazy."

Sorrells said he has seen the object several times. He said he watched it through his rifle's telescopic lens and described it as very large and without seams, nuts or bolts.

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of January 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Lewis said the object may have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and may appear orange from the setting sun.

"I'm 90 percent sure this was an airliner," Lewis said. "With the sun's angle, it can play tricks on you."

Officials at the region's two Air Force bases -- Dyess in Abilene and Sheppard in Wichita Falls -- also said none of their aircraft were in the area last week. The Air Force no longer investigates UFOs.

One man has offered a reward for a photograph or videotape of the mysterious object.

About 200 UFO sightings are reported each month, mostly in California, Colorado and Texas, according to the Mutual UFO Network, which plans to go to the 17,000-resident town of Stephenville to investigate.

Fourteen percent of Americans polled last year by The Associated Press and Ipsos say they have seen a UFO.

Erath County Constable Lee Roy Gaitan said he first saw red glowing lights and then white flashing lights moving fast, but that even with binoculars could not see the object to which the lights were attached.

"I didn't see a flying saucer and I don't know what it was, but it wasn't an airplane, and I've never seen anything like it," Gaitan said. "I think it must be some kind of military craft -- at least I hope it was."

eagles_victory
01-15-2008, 08:39 AM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77357

jason
01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
blah...i live here so i have 'first post' rights...

:D :D

Daddy D 11
01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
just watched the news interview, and still dont know what to think haha

but there are a small handful here in LH that claim they saw the same bright lights coming from the north:thinking:

BwdLion_80
01-15-2008, 09:57 AM
You don't suppose that this is more move ins for football? They seem to get some from every year and no one seems to know where they come from!:D

BwdLion_80
01-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Have they been recruiting again?:p

Daddy D 11
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80

no, thats Celina;)

crzyjournalist03
01-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
WTH, me and jason saw this after we ate this weekend

where?

icu812
01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
This story made fox news this morning.

Black_Magic
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
They were at the meet and greets last game held at the tarlton state stadium for play off games. Here is one of the Meet and Greet photos that was edited out. Its a Cover up. They just now left back home. the ship blew its altenator.
http://cabfst28.cnea.gov.ar/~abramson/fotos/usa2004/Carlsbad/slides/ET%20y%20Gabi.JPG

stangGirl2007
01-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80

No, it was just RM's mother ship coming to take her home.

Phil C
01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
OMG!!!!! :eek:

Bigworm
01-15-2008, 12:20 PM
From my house in Liberty Hill my stepdad and my brother and me were looking north towards fort hood and saw 5 orange bright lights in the sky on the same day as all the other sightings. this is something we have never seen before. at first we thought it was a fire because of the glow but then they would just disappear. a couple minutes later they would come back up in the sky. this happened for about 2 hours. We even called the police to see if they have had any reports.

crzyjournalist03
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
OMG!!!!! :eek:

Phil, I admire God. :)

Ranger Mom
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
No, it was just RM's mother ship coming to take her home.

In Stephenville??:thinking:

jason
01-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In Stephenville??:thinking: guess the secret is out...

stangGirl2007
01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In Stephenville??:thinking: Well after you moved here from your planet you promised that you would reside in Stephenville until your fellow aliens came back for you. However, I discovered that in all reality.. you changed your name, moved to another town, and started a new family. It was a good cover but maybe you should try contacting them so they will know where to find you. :p

They need their president back!!!

pero chato
01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
And yet, no one took photos (?!)

MHSvarsity2007
01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
stephenville is like a magnet for weird stuff that ends up in the news...UFOs, klan rallies, pride parades, MLK parties...

Panther One
01-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by pero chato
And yet, no one took photos (?!)
I may not always have my camera with me, but I do always have my cell phone, complete with built-in camera. If I see some crazy sheet like this, I'm taking a picture.

jason
01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
i took these yesterday evening, around 5:45, at city park in stephenville...

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4426/pic0075gg1.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8617/pic0076ji8.jpg

:thinking: :thinking:

44 Magnum
01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
In January or February of 1979 while I was driving back home from Austin, between Walnut Spring and Glen Rose just south of the "Seven Knobs" area, I saw a huge oval object out my driver's side window. We were in a valley. I stopped in the middle of the road. It was late at night and there was no traffic on Hwy 144. The lights of the object moved around the perimeter with 8-10 lights on at any given moment. The object appeared to be only 200-400 feet above the ground. It was huge, larger than a football field. The object did not make a sound. My first thought was it might be a blimp, but even a blimp makes noise. I got scared and took off. I didn't report it at the time because I didn't want people to think I was crazy. Now everybody knows I'm crazy!

No I wasn't Drunk or High or Stoned!!!

Daddy D 11
01-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 44 Magnum
In January or February of 1979 while I was driving back home from Austin, between Walnut Spring and Glen Rose just south of the "Seven Knobs" area, I saw a huge oval object out my driver's side window. We were in a valley. I stopped in the middle of the road. It was late at night and there was no traffic on Hwy 144. The lights of the object moved around the perimeter with 8-10 lights on at any given moment. The object appeared to be only 200-400 feet above the ground. It was huge, larger than a football field. The object did not make a sound. My first thought was it might be a blimp, but even a blimp makes noise. I got scared and took off. I didn't report it at the time because I didn't want people to think I was crazy. Now everybody knows I'm crazy!

No I wasn't Drunk or High or Stoned!!!

thats interesting, haha

Maroon87
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
This was on the "Today" show this morning.

Blitzkrieg
01-17-2008, 06:55 AM
a mile long craft and no one managed to take pictures?:thinking: