PDA

View Full Version : Applewhite to Texas???

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Applewhite contacted by Texas

By Suzanne Halliburton and Kirk Bohls | Monday, January 14, 2008, 05:34 PM

Major Applewhite, one of the most popular Longhorn football players in school history, has been contacted by coach Mack Brown for an opening on the UT staff.

Applewhite, 29, currently is the offensive coordinator for Alabama.

The opening on Brown’s staff is for a running backs coach. Ken Rucker, who had been in charge of UT running backs for the past three seasons, was moved last week to a newly created post, directing high school relations and player development.

“I think it’s a done deal,” said a source close to Applewhite. “They wouldn’t have contacted him if they weren’t close to hiring him.”

Applewhite played for Texas from 1998-2001. He still owns the school record for most passing yardage in a season. He served two years as a graduate assistant at Texas, working with the offensive line, before leaving in 2005 to serve as an assistant at Syracuse. He then became the youngest offensive coordinator in the country when he served a one-year stint with Rice in 2006.

Nick Saban hired him at Alabama for 2007. Applewhite is earning $250,000 as offensive coordinator for the Crimson Tide, although offensive line coach Joe Pendry, Saban’s assistant head coach, also is in charge of game plans.

Diocletian
01-14-2008, 09:30 PM
wow i'm surprised he's making all that dough, good to see a decent player getting what's deserved, if not from the NFL

coach
01-14-2008, 09:42 PM
im going to go out on a limb here and say applewhite is texas' next head coach

charlesrixey
01-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by coach
im going to go out on a limb here and say applewhite is texas' next head coach

it's either him or todd dodge

Aesculus gilmus
01-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah, Todd Dodge really turned that UNT program around.

SLC "culture" and that of UT (or any university) are so alien to one another that it was amazing anyone thought he could make that transition to begin with.

Old Tiger
01-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
it's either him or todd dodge I don't think so. Most fans think that

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Yeah, Todd Dodge really turned that UNT program around.

SLC "culture" and that of UT (or any university) are so alien to one another that it was amazing anyone thought he could make that transition to begin with.

Before we throw Dodge under the bus lets see how he does with a couple of his own recruiting classes, he basically was using his Spread offense with a team built towards the power running game

charlesrixey
01-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Before we throw Dodge under the bus lets see how he does with a couple of his own recruiting classes, he basically was using his Spread offense with a team built towards the power running game

my thoughts exactly

so dodge didn't win 8 games and a bowl in his first year-so what?

some people may have thought he would, but this is a guy who took over a 2-9 team (a couple of years of it, in fact)

in 3 years, we'll know if Todd Dodge has and can do it at this level

Heck, i think Phil Bennett could be great somewhere, just not SMU

Aesculus gilmus
01-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Dodge perhaps would have been a good fit at a more 'whitebread' campus.

SMU comes to mind. I'm not saying he'd be able to turn them into a winner. But he'd be more comfortable in his surroundings and wouldn't have to deal with those from middle class or lower economic circumstances (aside from some of his players, of course; I'm thinking more of the students and alumni here).

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Dodge perhaps would have been a good fit at a more 'whitebread' campus.

SMU comes to mind. I'm not saying he'd be able to turn them into a winner. But he'd be more comfortable in his surroundings and wouldn't have to deal with those from middle class or lower economic circumstances.

Sorry but I dont buy that...It is not like Dodge has spent his whole coaching and playing career in a "white bread" atmosphere

He basically IMO had to deal with some problem players that were looking for any reason to be a problem

Aesculus gilmus
01-15-2008, 09:23 AM
As a matter of full disclosure and also as an apology for hijacking Applewhite's thread, I have to admit I have NEVER been a fan of Mr. Todd Dodge (when he was a mediocre QB at UT while I was a student there, I was always rooting for his competitor and for him to be benched).

I have also NEVER been a fan of anything related to the Carroll Dragons and that goes back to the late 1980s and the beatings they put on the Buckeyes when both were 3A.

At any rate, even if Major Applewhite is hired at UT, I think he will have a LONG wait before Brown's job comes open. I can easily see Brown being the UT version of Paterno. Vince Young has made him "coach for life" if he wants to be.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
As a matter of full disclosure and also as an apology for hijacking Applewhite's thread, I have to admit I have NEVER been a fan of Mr. Todd Dodge (when he was a mediocre QB at UT while I was a student there, I was always rooting for his competitor and for him to be benched).

I have also NEVER been a fan of anything related to the Carroll Dragons and that goes back to the late 1980s and the beatings they put on the Buckeyes when both were 3A.

At any rate, even if Major Applewhite is hired at UT, I think he will have a LONG wait before Brown's job comes open. I can easily see Brown being the UT version of Paterno. Vince Young has made him "coach for life" if he wants to be.

I dont think so..Brown has said MANY times he is not going to coach as long as people think he is. I really think he was closer to hanging it up after this past year than people realize

Would not shock me to see him slide up into AD role in a few years

Daddy D 11
01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
i love major applewhite, Mack has said on occasions that he wants to keep the job long enough for Major to get alot of experience under his belt and then hand it over to him:clap:

great idea IMO

crzyjournalist03
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
i love major applewhite, Mack has said on occasions that he wants to keep the job long enough for Major to get alot of experience under his belt and then hand it over to him:clap:

great idea IMO

Why would that matter to Mack? Trying to make up for the Chris Simms debacle?

Phil C
01-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't forget that SMU was voted by several polls as the National Champions in 1935.

JasperDog94
01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
“I think it’s a done deal,” said a source close to Applewhite. “They wouldn’t have contacted him if they weren’t close to hiring him.” I love this line. How in the world does this make any sense at all. You have to contact somebody to see if they are even interested in the position. Just because you contact someone doesn't mean that you are already "close to hiring him".:crazy1:

Old Tiger
01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
there were some articles posted on the AAS and the Houston Chronicle with the same reports.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I love this line. How in the world does this make any sense at all. You have to contact somebody to see if they are even interested in the position. Just because you contact someone doesn't mean that you are already "close to hiring him".:crazy1:

Well..What takes place is unoffical talk first..then the offical "contact"...So that means the unoffical talk went well, now time to be offical

Do you really think they talked to their new DC with offical contact only?

kaorder1999
01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think so..Brown has said MANY times he is not going to coach as long as people think he is. I really think he was closer to hanging it up after this past year than people realize

Would not shock me to see him slide up into AD role in a few years

as soon as the AD spot opens, Brown will be the next AD. Could happen fairly soon.

NastySlot
01-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
as soon as the AD spot opens, Brown will be the next AD. Could happen fairly soon.

what makes you think Brown could be an AD.

this is a question...not with a sarcastic tone...just wondering.

KTJ
01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
1. No, most people don't assume that Major or Todd Dodge will be the next HC at Texas. Texas has an unwritten rule that you must be a HC somewhere else for a certain number of years before even being considered to be the HC at UT, in any sport. (well, the major sports as I think we hired our women's golf coach after she was an asst on the Vanderbilt team.) However, with that said, if anyone was being groomed to be the HC, it will be Muschamp with Major being the OC. I think this hire, should it be true, is telling us that Greg Davis won't be around much longer....and I really don't see Mack coaching that much longer either.

2. Yes, Mack can be an Athletic Director. Hell, every person who gets hired at UT speaks with Mack for hours and they all say how his convo usually helps them with their decision. It's not that hard to transition into the AD position after being a HC at a major university. Barry Alvarez is doing just fine. The problem would be Mack a.) actually wanting the position, which I've heard is the real issue and/or b.) Mack, should he be contemplating it, taking a pay-cut to be the AD. (Which money isn't really an issue to Mack and Sally.)

3. I like this hire should Major be groomed to take over as OC here in a few years, which all indications are pointing to yes.

4. ou sucks.

injuredinmelee
01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Don't forget that SMU was voted by several polls as the National Champions in 1935.

dont forget that they have been a joke for over 20 years now.

Bigworm
01-15-2008, 01:04 PM
We gon National CHampionship!!!

injuredinmelee
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bigworm
We gon National CHampionship!!!

HUh?