PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett is heading to...

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Arkansas according to reports from various recruiting services.

kaorder1999
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
woul dbe a good pickup for Arkansas...anywhere he goes in Division 1 will force him to sit out a year right?

charlesrixey
01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
woul dbe a good pickup for Arkansas...anywhere he goes in Division 1 will force him to sit out a year right?

i don't know for sure

i thought they were going to change the rule if a coach leaves

kaorder1999
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i don't know for sure

i thought they were going to change the rule if a coach leaves

i dont believe so. I hadnt heard that.

Macarthur
01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
No, he still has to sit one year.

kaorder1999
I also do not believe he red shirted either...he can sit out this next year and that would be his red shirt year.

charlesrixey
i dont believe so. I hadnt heard that.

yeah, i think that may apply to the commitments, instead

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
He'll have to sit out a year unless the NCAA gives him a waiver. I do believe that they can appeal the ruling...but it's only been granted under "special circumstances"(ie - recruiting scandal @ OU, player death @ Baylor, post-grad student transferring to pursue a masters degree) so expect him to redshirt this season ala Jevan Snead.

Daddy D 11
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
i love watching that kid throw the football, wish he would go to tech:D that way when harrell graduates mallett could step in.

kaorder1999
01-14-2008, 02:09 PM
He's HUGE! 6-7, 260 or so

Daddy D 11
01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
rumors have it that he can throw a ball 80 yards?? dont know if this is true or not?:eek:

txkmom
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
He's a great kid from a great family. Fiercely competitive. I'm not sure just how far he can throw the ball, but at times his passes seemed to eat up most of the field. I wish him the best and hope he plays somewhere where I can watch him again!

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
i love watching that kid throw the football, wish he would go to tech:D that way when harrell graduates mallett could step in.
He wasn't accurate enough for Tech's offense. He had a 56% completion rate in 3 years of HS with his highest only being 60%. By comparison, Harrell completed 67% of his passes in HS. Leach isn't concerned with how strong your arm is...he's concerned with your ability to run his offense and complete enough passes to win games.

Sweetwater Red
01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Hmmmm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3196148

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Hmmmm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3196148
That was written last week...they just updated it today w/ a quote about him visiting Arkie...

kaorder1999
01-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He wasn't accurate enough for Tech's offense. He had a 56% completion rate in 3 years of HS with his highest only being 60%. By comparison, Harrell completed 67% of his passes in HS. Leach isn't concerned with how strong your arm is...he's concerned with your ability to run his offense and complete enough passes to win games.

T-High and Ennis had two TOTALLY different offenses. THigh would run, run, run, throw deep. At least they did against us. T-High's offense wasnt based around high percentage throws as Ennis and Tech's is.

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
T-High and Ennis had two TOTALLY different offenses. THigh would run, run, run, throw deep. At least they did against us. T-High's offense wasnt based around high percentage throws as Ennis and Tech's is.
Exactly. Mallett averaged a higher yds/att and yds/completion because of the style of offense he came from. Even still, his "body of work" doesn't show a high level of success running a spread offense that requires lots of high percentage throws. Tech doesn't go after QB's who aren't already exposed to that type of offense in HS. Thus the reason they'll likely never go after a dual-threat QB...even if it would add another dimension to their offense. Not a running QB...but just a QB with the ability to roll to both sides of the field and scramble if necessary.

kaorder1999
01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Exactly. Mallett averaged a higher yds/att and yds/completion because of the style of offense he came from. Even still, his "body of work" doesn't show a high level of success running a spread offense that requires lots of high percentage throws. Tech doesn't go after QB's who aren't already exposed to that type of offense in HS. Thus the reason they'll likely never go after a dual-threat QB...even if it would add another dimension to their offense. Not a running QB...but just a QB with the ability to roll to both sides of the field and scramble if necessary.

i see what you mean

big daddy russ
01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
rumors have it that he can throw a ball 80 yards?? dont know if this is true or not?:eek:
Wouldn't surprise me. Probably has the strongest gun since Jamarcus Russell bolted for the NFL.

injuredinmelee
01-14-2008, 03:42 PM

so he can go 8-4 every year and have no shot at a conference or national title?

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
so he can go 8-4 every year and have no shot at a conference or national title?
better than being coached by Greg Davis...

ScoutsOut
01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Wouldn't surprise me. Probably has the strongest gun since Jamarcus Russell bolted for the NFL.

They talked about that in the Army All American game that he played in. Said he threw 80yrds in the ellite 11 competition/camp he went to in Cali. I think he went twice. He was there the same year Claussin went...He threw one in the game about 60yrds on a bullet line in that game. Wouldnt surprise me if he threw 80yrds. Would like to see him do it from his knees at the 50 like Russel can?

injuredinmelee
01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
better than being coached by Greg Davis...

I guess since Tech fans are comfortable with the playstation play calling and lack of a defense in Lubbock they think all the good qbs will want to be a part of it. IT would help if there was a tech QB that could make a NFL roster and see playing time. Of course Greg Davis' qbs havent fared much better at all.

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I guess since Tech fans are comfortable with the playstation play calling and lack of a defense in Lubbock they think all the good qbs will want to be a part of it. IT would help if there was a tech QB that could make a NFL roster and see playing time. Of course Greg Davis' qbs havent fared much better at all.

Texas Tech Defense ypg - 367.1 (ranked 51)
Texas Defense ypg - 374.8 (ranked 54)

Texas Tech Pass Defense ypg - 181 (ranked 18)
Texas Pass Defense ypg - 275 (ranked 101)

Texas Tech Run Defense ypg - 186 (ranked 71)
Texas Run Defense ypg - 100 ypg (ranked T-10)

Texas Tech Scoring Defense - 25.8 ppg
Texas Scoring Defense - 24.6 ppg

And scheme-wise...give me an offense with an identity any day of the week. Greg Davis has no idea what he wants to do. It doesn't help that they keep recruiting different QB types either. First you get the QB's that are too small (Applewhite) but just make plays. Then you get the pro-style (Simms). Then you get a running QB (Young). Then you're stuck with a QB who can run a high percantage passing offense like Tech's but you try to make him learn the spread option instead and overlook his abilities (McCoy). Now they're recruiting Gilbert from Lake Travis who is the prototypical QB for a scheme like Texas Tech.

And if you read what I said about Mallett...I said that Tech DOESN'T want a top QB. They want a QB that fits their offensive system. That said, the full press is on to get Gilbert to Lubbock if he doesn't commit to Texas. They're going as far as bringing the Lake Travis coaching staff to Lubbock in the spring to speak at coaching clinics.

Rocket Dad
01-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Kid enrolls at Michigan to play football. Gets treated like a King. $80,000.00 worth of free tuition, meals, books, etc. What a great deal for a young kid in U.S. What ?? you want to transfer ? How selfish is that ? You are getting everything for free ... T.V. , flying all over the country, first class hotels .... transfer ... why ? because I am looking for a better fit for ME.. give me a break.. O.K. .. new rule.. transfer because I am selfisfish..... O.K. ...at your new school you have to pay your own tuition, books, etc. like other regular students. How many would transfer then? HUH?
Wake up Amereica ... this stuff is really funny ...

LH Panther Mom
01-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Kid enrolls at Michigan to play football. Gets treated like a King. $80,000.00 worth of free tuition, meals, books, etc. What a great deal for a young kid in U.S. What ?? you want to transfer ? How selfish is that ? You are getting everything for free ... T.V. , flying all over the country, first class hotels .... transfer ... why ? because I am looking for a better fit for ME.. give me a break.. O.K. .. new rule.. transfer because I am selfisfish..... O.K. ...at your new school you have to pay your own tuition, books, etc. like other regular students. How many would transfer then? HUH?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Big Papa
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM

maybe he signed on to get exposure to play at the next level...and a new offense that doesnt fit his skill set that well wont get him the necessary time...

sure it maybe selfish..but seriously why cant he think of himself so he can maybe provide for his future

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 10:44 PM

He made a commitment to Michigan to play football. Michigan made a commitment to him with a scholarship. Michigan hires a coach that will sit him on the bench because his talents are no longer of any use to Michigan. Instead, he goes somewhere where his talents CAN be used. This doesn't waste Michigan's money and instead Arkansas will provide him with a full scholarship in exchange for his playing football for their school. The NCAA is already penalizing him by making him sit out a year when he did nothing but hold up his end of the bargain.

Could your idea possibly be any dumber??? Geez...:rolleyes:

Daddy D 11
01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
He made a commitment to Michigan to play football. Michigan made a commitment to him with a scholarship. Michigan hires a coach that will sit him on the bench because his talents are no longer of any use to Michigan. Instead, he goes somewhere where his talents CAN be used. This doesn't waste Michigan's money and instead Arkansas will provide him with a full scholarship in exchange for his playing football for their school. The NCAA is already penalizing him by making him sit out a year when he did nothing but hold up his end of the bargain.

Could your idea possibly be any dumber??? Geez...:rolleyes:

agreed adidas

Phil C
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Mallett = Another victim of society. :(

jason
01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Wake up Amereica ... this stuff is really funny ... thats might be one of the dumbest things ive ever read on here - and ive been around a while...

he is going to play at the next level, he has the ability, and the size - he will be useless in the new coache's offense - it is better for michigan and for him to move on to a school he can develop the skills needed to play at the next level...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

very burnet44ish :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Old Tiger
01-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Wake up Amereica ... this stuff is really funny ... I nominate this for idiotic post of the week.

Old Tiger
01-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by jason

very burnet44ish :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: I concur....:cool:

but without the
typing like this
so he can't give it
away if he is
in fact burnet44.

Rocket Dad
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Post makes sense to those who understand concepts .. sorry that it is over the head of some ... the point is the change in our society over time toward the ME concept. You young-uns don't know any better, it is not your fault that you are part of this type of thinking.

jason
01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Post makes sense to those who understand concepts .. sorry that it is over the head of some ... the point is the change in our society over time toward the ME concept. You young-uns don't know any better, it is not your fault that you are part of this type of thinking. nn

Adidas410s
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Post makes sense to those who understand concepts .. sorry that it is over the head of some ... the point is the change in our society over time toward the ME concept. You young-uns don't know any better, it is not your fault that you are part of this type of thinking.

Try this...read what I wrote and tell me who is getting screwed? Start making points and stop playing the old guy card. Age does NOT automatically give you wisdom and knowledge. Age is merely the opportunity to gain wisdom and knowledge.

Adidas410s
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by jason
nn
+1

eagles_victory
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Post makes sense to those who understand concepts .. sorry that it is over the head of some ... the point is the change in our society over time toward the ME concept. You young-uns don't know any better, it is not your fault that you are part of this type of thinking. Mallet has worked his arse off to be a good enough Quarterback to get a college scholarship. It didnt come free and it didnt come easy. He made a decision to go to Michigan to play for LLoyd Carr and the system Carr had put in place. Carr drove off the lot and a whole new option system is coming in that Mallet isnt right for at all. So are you saying he should just sit around in Ann Arbor and say well my darn luck there goes the NFL there goes my life as a football player and all I worked for oh well at least I tried. While Michigan has no use for him but has to keep his scholarship and he is taking a scholarship away from someone who could use it.

coach
01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Mallet has worked his arse off to be a good enough Quarterback to get a college scholarship. It didnt come free and it didnt come easy. He made a decision to go to Michigan to play for LLoyd Carr and the system Carr had put in place. Carr drove off the lot and a whole new option system is coming in that Mallet isnt right for at all. So are you saying he should just sit around in Ann Arbor and say well my darn luck there goes the NFL there goes my life as a football player and all I worked for oh well at least I tried. While Michigan has no use for him but has to keep his scholarship and he is taking a scholarship away from someone who could use it.

nice post but what ever happened to the usless fact of the day?

Daddy D 11
01-15-2008, 04:17 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :crazy: