PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's list of Greatest College Football Players!

Phil C
01-14-2008, 12:29 PM
This is there list. I don't agree with everyone on it or even with No. 1 even though it was no surprise. Red Grange was a great player and football in college was going strong when he played and he helped make it stronger. What he really did was start the NFL league. He was great in college but I don't know about No. 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3086827

Phil C
01-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Tommy Nobis was one of the greatest linebackers to ever play college football and he isn't on the list. In fact I don't think any great defensive players made it and there were many. And what about the Offensive linemen? Not one!

Sweetwater Red
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Barry Sanders should've been #1 and Sammy Baugh should've
been #2. That is only my totally unbiased opinion though.:D

NastySlot
01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
i was making a trip a few weeks ago and was listening to espn radio....and one of the talk show guys was ripping the list ....said that it was a joke that vince made the top ten.......i have to disagree with him.........i thought that vince was one of the greatest in my lifetime......without him texas loses two-three games a year more...and doesn't even sniff the championship........this guy did have a point...about red grange....he said that anyone that played before intergration you'd have to question their greatness cause the game changed with the caliber of athletes....along with before wt. training etc......it's just a list and people will always have differing opinions..........i think regardless of time jim thorpe was the great athlete ever...........i think herschel walker was the greatest college player........he truely changed the game.

Adidas410s
01-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Tommy Nobis was one of the greatest linebackers to ever play college football and he isn't on the list. In fact I don't think any great defensive players made it and there were many. And what about the Offensive linemen? Not one!
Hugh Green - DE #14
Bronko Nagurski - FB/DT #17
Dick Butkus - LB #19

themsu97
01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
the whole thing is subjective and why I do not like lists... people knock Barry because it was only one grreat year, same could be said for Vince... how is the only two time winner of the Heisman, back when it meant something, not even in the top 5?

as for Grange, hard to compare eras... he also played in a time where clothes lines were legal...

NastySlot
01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
grange and a few others also played in a time when players went both ways....and if you were sub..ed for you were done for the game.

charlesrixey
01-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
the whole thing is subjective and why I do not like lists... people knock Barry because it was only one grreat year, same could be said for Vince... how is the only two time winner of the Heisman, back when it meant something, not even in the top 5?

as for Grange, hard to compare eras... he also played in a time where clothes lines were legal...

vince had a darn good year in 2004, too

themsu97
01-14-2008, 02:44 PM
sorry, I said that wrong... problem with VY is that he is mentioned alot but,his main sparring partner during that era would be Matt Leinart who did not even get a sniff... won one national championship ( outright), one shared national title, and then led his team to play for another, won the Heisman as well... that alone is better than what VY did in his career...
the problem is not VY, it is how they go with different people for different reasons...
does that make sense