PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton Entering 2008 NFL Draft

TexanFan4Life
01-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Todd McShay has him as a 2nd/3rd Rounder. What do you guys think of his NFL future?

Has Derrick Williams made a decision yet? I haven't heard/seen anything.

charlesrixey
01-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Slaton reminds me a little of priest holmes, although probably not that good

he would be a great compliment for Marion Barber if Julius Jones left, IMO

and a great pickup if he lasted until the end of the second round or into the 3rd

Sweetwater Red
01-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Todd McShay has him as a 2nd/3rd Rounder. What do you guys think of his NFL future?

Has Derrick Williams made a decision yet? I haven't heard/seen anything.

What does that make, like 20 RB's going in the first 4 rounds?:thinking:

charlesrixey
01-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
What does that make, like 20 RB's going in the first 4 rounds?:thinking:

yeah, slaton would get more money if he waited another year

of course, he also has Noel Devine ready and waiting behind him, already taking his carries

Daddy D 11
01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
slaton has the potential to be one of the best backs in the league, i just wonder about his durability, he seemed to get knocked around in the lowely big east this year.

Old Tiger
01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
less explosive REggie bush IMO.

coach
01-14-2008, 09:32 AM
i say the boys try and draft felix jones

Daddy D 11
01-14-2008, 09:33 AM
he has a better body than bush, a little more heavy. but definitly not as fast. i think he could run between the tackles a whole heck of a lot better than bush. and after all thats all the nfl is

coach
01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
felix is used to a two back system and would work well for the boys

TexanFan4Life
01-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by coach
felix is used to a two back system and would work well for the boys

One site I looked at yesterday had my Texans taking Mendenhall at #18 and the Cowboys taking Jonathan Stewart at #31.

Emerson1
01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I've never been that impressed with him. He was in a good system with a great running qb. Didn't have a single 200 yard game all season

big daddy russ
01-14-2008, 03:36 PM
One site I looked at yesterday had my Texans taking Mendenhall at #18 and the Cowboys taking Jonathan Stewart at #31.
Stewart's a better fit in the ZBS than Mendenhall.

TexanFan4Life
01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Stewart's a better fit in the ZBS than Mendenhall.

Definitely. I like both backs, but prefer James Davis in the 3rd Round. That would allow us to focus on CB in Round 1. Alex Gibbs can take 5th and 6th Round OL and turn them into stars. I don't think we'll be taking a Chris Williams or Sam Baker in this draft. More like John Greco, Heath Benedict, or Mike Fladell. Agree?

big daddy russ
01-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Definitely. I like both backs, but prefer James Davis in the 3rd Round. That would allow us to focus on CB in Round 1. Alex Gibbs can take 5th and 6th Round OL and turn them into stars. I don't think we'll be taking a Chris Williams or Sam Baker in this draft. More like John Greco, Heath Benedict, or Mike Fladell. Agree?
I actually think that Stewart may be the best RB in the draft for Houston just because of his cutback ability. He's a downhill runner who doesn't cost as much as DMC. He's great at finding a hole against the grain, has great vision, and is one of those guys who will probably make a better pro than college player. He's a little bowling ball with great acceleration and a good top end.

Ideally, if Ryan Clady were to fall to Houston, I'd love to see us take him. I still think there's a huge hole at LT that's just been overlooked ever since Tony Boselli's career hit the skids. Clady's quick enough that he would be a great fit in the Denver WCO, but I honestly think his draft stock will continue to rise between now and the draft.

You made a great point in taking a RB later on. If everyone stays in (heck, even if a few drop out), this will be the deepest class of RBs in years. A quality first-year starter can be found in the second or third round, so we'd be well-served to look for our next RB towards the end of the first day and address other needs early on.

These are the biggest team needs of the Texans, IMO.

1. LT
2. DB (How Dunta's knee responds will determine which position should be addressed first, but the secondary is the achilles heel of the defense. If Dunta recovers early and CB gets moved to the back burner, a rangy FS would be a great pickup.)
3. RB (Move this to #2 if Dunta's recovery moves quicker and stronger than expected.)

I'd also like to see them upgrade at OLB, but that's only if the value is there.