PDA

View Full Version : 3A realignment numbers

old warrior
01-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I copied this off of another message board on a post about 3A numbers. I didn't type it, it has been copied and pasted. Interesting though...........

News Flash - At the baseball clinic, the UIL report explained that 3A will have what they call open districts. This means that, for example, district 7-3A will have 7 or 8 teams and district 8-3A will have 0 which creates a bi-district bye. The reason for doing this is that they do not want 3A to have too much more than a 2:1 ratio, but do not want to have to worry about the problem with the overall number of schools. So my point is, after listening to him speak, I truly believe we are looking at 2.1: 1 ratio (you can quote the UIL rep.) 460 - 966 range and be damned with the number of teams. This improves on the previous 2.3: 1. The focus for the UIL is creating a more even playing field and not having any more 4 or even 5 team districts. Lastly, the other thing that makes it easier to raise the bottom number and not the top so much is the recent approval of 4 playoff teams in 4A. They can afford to have 250 schools.

JR2004
01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Well that should mean Region 1 will have just 5 districts, possibly 6.

Adidas410s
01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Well that should mean Region 1 will have just 5 districts, possibly 6.

A far west Texas district...

A panhandle district...

Maybe an I-20 district...

A Wichita Falls district...

A North Central area district...

Depending on the I-20 district you could have an Abilene going east 70 miles to the NE or SE district...

NastySlot
01-13-2008, 08:59 PM
just throwing this one out....ran into an old retired football coach the other night and we were talking about realignment....he was tellling me he wouldn't be suprised to see a district like this......Llano, Brady, Ingram, Fredericksburg, Brownwood and Early formed and placed in region I..........I thought you know that could be possible...he remembered a year in which Fred, and Llano were in a district with Sonora and placed in region I...........I guess anything could be possible.

Old Dog
01-13-2008, 09:45 PM
The central Texas teams can get shipped in almost any direction. Over the years in different classifications, Burnet has been in 3 various regions; 1, 3 and 4. Gotta do what you gotta do!

WOS87
01-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Taylor won a district championship in all 4 regions in just the 11 seasons between 1984 and 1994.

Before anyone asks, District 6 was region II in 1984 because there were only 16 districts in 4A thru 1987. So District 1-4 was Region I, 5-8 was Region II, 9-12 was Region III and 13-16 was Region IV.

1984 - Region II - District 6-4A Champs
1988 - Region I - District 8-4A Champs
1990 - Region III - District 18-4A Champs
1994 - Region IV - District 25-4A Champs

3afan
01-14-2008, 07:22 AM
is that better than 4 team districts?

Old Tiger
01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
just scrap the whole west texas football teams except Wylie :p

^
Joke

charlesrixey
01-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
is that better than 4 team districts?

well,honestly, given the level of competition a four-team district could possibly give to the playoffs (a 1-9 team is actually possible), it might be better if they just had bigger districts

that would certainly make the district races much more meaningful in west texas and south central texas, where four team districts meant a team could only win once in their district and make the playoffs

i'd rather have a system that rewards teams for better district play than one that lets some teams barely have to work to make it, while other districts haev 8 teams with six possible playoff contenders, three of which sit at home while a 3-7 team that went 1-2 in their district makes it

Texasfootball2
01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Cut and pasted this post off the Old Coach site. Just thought it was interesting.

Originally posted by jasonchlapek
The UIL web site has a copy of the policies they will be following in realignment. Important notes:

Item 4: 5A school count should be between 220 and 245. 2A-4A should have at least 200 schools each with a 2:1 ratio between largest and smallest (I assume this excludes the elevated schools' enrollments).

Breithaupt has said that they will do "everything we can to have at least six schools in a district" (though for scheduling purposes, a 5-team district is much better than a 4-team district, because you can play week 0 through week 5, then have your bye in district play). That means that 3A will have to come close to that 200 count, which means that the 2:1 ratio will have to be stretched a little for 3A. Add to that the fact that there are at least 13 new 4A/5A schools (La Joya Carter, La Joya Juarez-Lincoln, Pearland Dawson,
Houston Cypress Woods, League City Clear Springs, Humble Kingwood Park, San Antonio Ladybird Johnson, San Antonio Brandeis, Frisco Liberty
Spring Dekaney, Mansfield Legacy, Fort Bend Travis, and Dallas Conrad), plus at least two 3A schools that are all but guaranteed to move to 4A (Frisco Wakeland and Royse City), and my guess is that the 3A/4A cutoff will move the most, to around 1050, and the 2A/3A cutoff will be around 450, which is a 2.333:1 ratio. The 4A/5A cutoff should be around 2025.

Item 6: Requests to be elevated for travel hardship or to remain with other district schools (minimum 8 schools) will be allowed.

This means that the Laredo and Eagle Pass schools can stay in 5A, and Anthony and Tornillo can stay in 3A. If the 3A/4A cutoff is around 1050, then it's very possible that Clint Horizon, Clint Mountain View and Fabens can stay in 3A and make a six-team district 1, and eliminate the bye in district 2 (3A-2 could be Fort Stockton, Monahans, Pecos, Midland Greenwood, Seminole, and possibly Lamesa, with Presidio for basketball).

Just my ramblings.....

Dude, Uvalde isn't far from Eagle Pass or Laredo. The two Eagle Pass schools and three of the Laredo schools which have 4A numbers could easily form a district of six with Uvalde.
The remaining 5A schools in Laredo could join Del Rio (which NEEDS TO OPEN A SECOND HIGH SCHOOL), SA Southwest and South San in a nice, little district of seven.

charlesrixey
01-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Cut and pasted this post off the Old Coach site. Just thought it was interesting.

Originally posted by jasonchlapek
The UIL web site has a copy of the policies they will be following in realignment. Important notes:

Item 4: 5A school count should be between 220 and 245. 2A-4A should have at least 200 schools each with a 2:1 ratio between largest and smallest (I assume this excludes the elevated schools' enrollments).

Breithaupt has said that they will do "everything we can to have at least six schools in a district" (though for scheduling purposes, a 5-team district is much better than a 4-team district, because you can play week 0 through week 5, then have your bye in district play). That means that 3A will have to come close to that 200 count, which means that the 2:1 ratio will have to be stretched a little for 3A. Add to that the fact that there are at least 13 new 4A/5A schools (La Joya Carter, La Joya Juarez-Lincoln, Pearland Dawson,
Houston Cypress Woods, League City Clear Springs, Humble Kingwood Park, San Antonio Ladybird Johnson, San Antonio Brandeis, Frisco Liberty
Spring Dekaney, Mansfield Legacy, Fort Bend Travis, and Dallas Conrad), plus at least two 3A schools that are all but guaranteed to move to 4A (Frisco Wakeland and Royse City), and my guess is that the 3A/4A cutoff will move the most, to around 1050, and the 2A/3A cutoff will be around 450, which is a 2.333:1 ratio. The 4A/5A cutoff should be around 2025.

Item 6: Requests to be elevated for travel hardship or to remain with other district schools (minimum 8 schools) will be allowed.

This means that the Laredo and Eagle Pass schools can stay in 5A, and Anthony and Tornillo can stay in 3A. If the 3A/4A cutoff is around 1050, then it's very possible that Clint Horizon, Clint Mountain View and Fabens can stay in 3A and make a six-team district 1, and eliminate the bye in district 2 (3A-2 could be Fort Stockton, Monahans, Pecos, Midland Greenwood, Seminole, and possibly Lamesa, with Presidio for basketball).

Just my ramblings.....

Dude, Uvalde isn't far from Eagle Pass or Laredo. The two Eagle Pass schools and three of the Laredo schools which have 4A numbers could easily form a district of six with Uvalde.
The remaining 5A schools in Laredo could join Del Rio (which NEEDS TO OPEN A SECOND HIGH SCHOOL), SA Southwest and South San in a nice, little district of seven.

I've heard this, don't know why i keep listening to the other crap

if this is the official stance how can we argue against it? i like the idea of more teams in 3A, regardless of the ratio

BwdLion_80
01-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
just scrap the whole west texas football teams except Wylie :p

^
Joke

Yeah! After all, Wylie is west of Brownwood! :D