PDA

View Full Version : Individual Players To Look Out For in 2008

TexanFan4Life
01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Who are some potential breakout players in 2008 that you are watching out for? I don't want to hear names like Dexter Pratt, or any guys we already know are good players, I want to hear guys that we may not have heard of before that will do great things.

I'm going to start the conversation by mentioning RB Dexter Downey from Sealy. He'll be a Junior in 2008 and at 5'11" 190, I expect great things from him. Harrison's graduating, so the stage is his next season.

navscanmaster
01-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Gaston Lamascus, WR Navasota. He will be a senior and can play anywhere on the field and make plays. Brandall Jackson will in all likelyhood outshine him statistic wise, but the kid makes sound tackles on special teams, catches anything that touches his hands, throws touchdown passes and runs well out of the reverse. Good run blocker and route runner as well. Known from hence forth as "Gator":D

VWG
01-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Gaston Lamascus, WR Navasota. He will be a senior and can play anywhere on the field and make plays. Brandall Jackson will in all likelyhood outshine him statistic wise, but the kid makes sound tackles on special teams, catches anything that touches his hands, throws touchdown passes and runs well out of the reverse. Good run blocker and route runner as well. Known from hence forth as "Gator":D

Gaston Lamascus... makes my all name team for 2008!

Old Tiger
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Chris Whaley - Madisonville
Dextar Pratt - Navasota
Cody Lattimore - Liberty Hill

navscanmaster
01-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Chris Whaley - Madisonville
Dextar Pratt - Navasota
Cody Lattimore - Liberty Hill

I think he meant people we didn't already know about. Any studs from the Rock, Blue?

bandera7
01-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Cole Hicks, Bandera. Fast and great hands, watch out for him in 7 on 7 this year. Also a good safety.

Cole Hubble, Bandera. Freakish athlete, strong, great arm. Started as a sophomore and ran for some good yards, didnt get to throw much. Look for more throwing out of him and possibly some defense, as he hits like a tank.

Old Tiger
01-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Mike Hicks - China Spring

coach
01-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Willie Tatum-Fairfield

trojan37
01-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Who are some potential breakout players in 2008 that you are watching out for? I don't want to hear names like Dexter Pratt, or any guys we already know are good players, I want to hear guys that we may not have heard of before that will do great things.

I'm going to start the conversation by mentioning RB Dexter Downey from Sealy. He'll be a Junior in 2008 and at 5'11" 190, I expect great things from him. Harrison's graduating, so the stage is his next season.

GoBlue, I believe that Mike Hicks is a person everyone should have heard of by now.

Snydertigersrul
01-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Snyder sophomore running back Xavier Malone. He will break all of Will Clay's records

dogdad
01-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Royse City has 4 jrs that were all-state 1st or 2nd team
they will be D1 recruits
Richard Morrison QB
Brock Wempa OL
Justin Rogers CB
Oscar Hernandez ILB
and I will add one more D1 recruit to this list:
Colin Padon OLB and K

PurplePride2006
01-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Spencer Church QB- Canyon

NastySlot
01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
Cole Hicks, Bandera. Fast and great hands, watch out for him in 7 on 7 this year. Also a good safety.

Cole Hubble, Bandera. Freakish athlete, strong, great arm. Started as a sophomore and ran for some good yards, didnt get to throw much. Look for more throwing out of him and possibly some defense, as he hits like a tank.

there's a bandrea name Hicks.......will they ever run out Hicks........I was at b-ball not to long ago and there were two or three Hicks on the wall..........are they father/son...uncles ...brothers????

bandera7
04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Sorry I just checked this post out...its all one family. One holds school record in the open quarter, one was all state football and basketball. Another had a horrible team around him but was a stud on there, and yet another played college ball but also didnt have too good of a team surrounding. There are currently two hicks boys playing sports now, and two that have graduated recently, one now playing at West Texas A&M. Another graduated in 2002 and was the QB on our state championship team. There are a whole lot more on the way up, some of them looking like they will make the rest of the clan proud. The one that comes back next year is an animal also, Cole. Watch for him in the Region 4 track meet, open quarter, 4x100 second leg and anchor for the 4x4.

buff4life
04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
they will be D1 recruits
Richard Morrison QB
Brock Wempa OL
Justin Rogers CB
Oscar Hernandez ILB
Colin Padon OLB and K

politics maybe....4 all-staters and not much of a state title run?

PHS Wildcats
04-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Olin Terry QB/Palestine

nobogey72
04-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by PurplePride2006
Spencer Church QB- Canyon

4A ......thank goodness!!!:)

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2008, 09:17 PM
they will be D1 recruits
Richard Morrison QB

I saw him last summer at a combine. From what I saw, he looked like a very good athlete!

Emerson1
04-15-2008, 09:21 PM
they will be D1 recruits
Richard Morrison QB
Brock Wempa OL
Justin Rogers CB
Oscar Hernandez ILB
Colin Padon OLB and K
Good luck in the new district. I will have to catch a game in the new stadium

Necks_Fan
04-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I think Dexter Downey from Sealy is a great pick. He should do well.

I look for Dylan Johnican from Columbia to have a big year running and tackling. He will probably be our best player next year.

Matthew328
04-15-2008, 09:22 PM
new district is a beast....HP, Rockwall and watch out for Rockwall Heath they were gonna be real good and they add a Div 1 LB to the mix now....

Emerson1
04-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
new district is a beast....HP, Rockwall and watch out for Rockwall Heath they were gonna be real good and they add a Div 1 LB to the mix now....
I was being partly sarcastic.

Any news on where Boyd wants to go coach next?

cshscougar08
04-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
GoBlue, I believe that Mike Hicks is a person everyone should have heard of by now.

You would be surprised. Mike doesn't get as much attention as you would think he would get. Ryan Boutwell is another person to watch out for.

orange machine
04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Caleb Lavey- Celina Middle Linebacker 6'3 230 Junior
D1 prospect
Could be the best Defensive player Celina has ever had.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I can probably say that 3-4 kids of ours that will have "break out" years will be ones that most people have not heard of, and after the season, most will still not have heard of them, other than post-season honors. :)

Fotbol
04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
J.J. Stewart Marlin

48minutes
04-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Quinn Taylor #30 Played LB and RB for the buffs last year, expect him to breakout on the offensive side of the ball next year.

Defensively Rush Plumbee #26 LB

Black_Magic
04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Snyder sophomore running back Xavier Malone. He will break all of Will Clay's records He plays WR. I would look for Chase Arendale to go for 2000+ this year. He is moving back to TB after playing FB and blocking for Will Clay last year. He rushed averaged 9 ypc last year and rushed for right at a thousand yards.

State_In_08
04-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Our recieving core is pretty solid all the way around, of course led by Brandal Jackson (thats the name some people already know), Antron Harris, and Gator Lamascus were pretty solid. And Thomas Sweed is a pretty good 4th option there, although he starts on defense.

Also, Eugene Castillo is gonna rack up a lot of tackles, and Malcolm Spriggs is going to be a lockdown corner.

trojan37
04-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
You would be surprised. Mike doesn't get as much attention as you would think he would get. Ryan Boutwell is another person to watch out for.

Everybody in our area knows who Mike Hicks is, and after the playoffs last year a lot more people know. All you hear from China Spring is Mike Hicks, since he's been a freshman. It's not a bad thing, the kid is good. People know who he is.

Mike Hicks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfWKKQw63c)

Buffgal
04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 48minutes
Quinn Taylor #30 Played LB and RB for the buffs last year, expect him to breakout on the offensive side of the ball next year.

Defensively Rush Plumbee #26 LB

Crazy man Quinn, for sure. I would also be on the lookout for Eric Rimes and David Bradshaw. Strong, strong and fast.
Heard you might look for Rush on the offensive side too. I need to Add his name to the other thread about cool names.

CheerMom
04-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Rice--Ziggy Foster

Bull's-eye
04-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Rice--Ziggy Foster

You could also post that under great names.

CheerMom, did your daughter get a small part in brad Pitt's new movie?

Silverback 04
04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Any Liberty Hill RB that will replace Doug Allman, Dustin Gonzales, and Clint Gavin. As yet un-named.

Texasfootball2
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Abilene Wylie LB, Jesse Jennings. He is worth the price of admission to watch. Also plays some FB, but is one of the most entertaining defensive players I've seen in High School in a long time.

Texasfootball2
04-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Any Liberty Hill RB that will replace Doug Allman, Dustin Gonzales, and Clint Gavin. As yet un-named.

Second game of the year, these ole' boys will get to meet my man Jesse:thumbsup: :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Here's a few of our kids that aren't well known, at least on here. I'm not positive on positions on some, so I'll just mention names if I don't know. Of course, Cody Lattimore has already been mentioned...for the last five years, so that goes without saying. ;)

Dusty Turner & Tyler Cole (secondary) {and maybe add Matt McCain}
Dusty Boyd, Jimmy Johnson, Tyler Lawhorn and/or Brent Whitbeck (RB spots)
Keenon Deary (maybe DE)
Brad Esch (LB)

Like I said a few weeks ago, I have no "real" inside info on who might be where, at least for a few of the kids. I do think at least one *cough the beast cough* of our OL may get some good PT on DL. If he does, :eek: :eek: :eek: , watch out!

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Second game of the year, these ole' boys will get to meet my man Jesse:thumbsup: :rolleyes:
I hope "your man" doesn't get too disappointed trying to get around our small, slow, but mean as hell OL. :devil:

Silverback 04
04-16-2008, 11:25 AM

I'm sure your man Jesse is a monster. But the problem with that is: He can only tackle 1 guy at a time. After he tackles that guy, he'll stand up and realize that the ball went the other way. Oops, 6 points!

Texasfootball2
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
I'm sure your man Jesse is a monster. But the problem with that is: He can only tackle 1 guy at a time. After he tackles that guy, he'll stand up and realize that the ball went the other way. Oops, 6 points!

Thats why Jesse has my man Chance, and my man Andy, and my man Matt, and my man Austin, and my man..........well I could go on but I won't, but he's got plenty of ole' boys covering his back.

It's about time we got to some real football smack talk around here:thumbsup:

buffbaseball
04-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Thats why Jesse has my man Chance, and my man Andy, and my man Matt, and my man Austin, and my man..........well I could go on but I won't, but he's got plenty of ole' boys covering his back.

It's about time we got to some real football smack talk around here:thumbsup:

wow you have a lot of men

Sweetwater Red
04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
He plays WR. I would look for Chase Arendale to go for 2000+ this year. He is moving back to TB after playing FB and blocking for Will Clay last year. He rushed averaged 9 ypc last year and rushed for right at a thousand yards.

Are Lance Day and Clay Hirt going to be back for their seventh
year of eligibilty?:thinking:

buffbaseball
04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal
Crazy man Quinn, for sure. I would also be on the lookout for Eric Rimes and David Bradshaw. Strong, strong and fast.
Heard you might look for Rush on the offensive side too. I need to Add his name to the other thread about cool names.

Quinn Taylor will definitely bust out next year. Fast as hell and strong as a bull. Bradshaw and Rimes will probably break out, depending on which side of the ball they see more PT at. as for rush, i doubt he'll see the offensive side. he's a good linebacker for his size. the coaches will probably try to keep his attention there. people underestimate his strength when they come through the hole. i think he will break out this year, too.

Buffgal
04-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by buffbaseball
Quinn Taylor will definitely bust out next year. Fast as hell and strong as a bull. Bradshaw and Rimes will probably break out, depending on which side of the ball they see more PT at. as for rush, i doubt he'll see the offensive side. he's a good linebacker for his size. the coaches will probably try to keep his attention there. people underestimate his strength when they come through the hole. i think he will break out this year, too.
I think Rush's ability to stay in position has been his greatest asset to the team. Doesn't have the size to really be a LB but plays smart, uses great form and hustle getting to the ball. Same as Castillo from Navasota. Rush just gets to the ball, holds on and waits for the rest of the team to help him. So far it has worked. I don't know why you think some have underestimated his strength (because of his height I guess???) Cuz have you seen the kids arms and thighs? Coach Z has commented many times that Quinn and Rush are two of the most hard headed kids he has every coached. I take that as a great compliment coming from Coach Z.

Hope they all break out this year. I'm also seeing more size and hopefully they will help out on defensive line since we lost so many.
What's the word on a QB, big shoes to fill........is it possible JV QB is not playing??? Who was JV backup?
Hard for someone to come in w/no experience

icu812
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Another great East Texas RB - Matthew Tucker from Tyler Chapel Hill. I bet he will be one of top RB recruits in the state. Reminds me of Justin Johnson from Gilmer (maybe even better).

buffbaseball
04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I think Rush's ability to stay in position has been his greatest asset to the team. Doesn't have the size to really be a LB but plays smart, uses great form and hustle getting to the ball. Same as Castillo from Navasota. Rush just gets to the ball, holds on and waits for the rest of the team to help him. So far it has worked. I don't know why you think some have underestimated his strength (because of his height I guess???) Cuz have you seen the kids arms and thighs? Coach Z has commented many times that Quinn and Rush are two of the most hard headed kids he has every coached. I take that as a great compliment coming from Coach Z.

Hope they all break out this year. I'm also seeing more size and hopefully they will help out on defensive line since we lost so many.
What's the word on a QB, big shoes to fill........is it possible JV QB is not playing??? Who was JV backup?
Hard for someone to come in w/no experience

hard headed as in ability to hit head against brick wall and not hurt, or stubbornness to stick their nose in a 300 lb OT? im assuming number 2 is right...as for the JV QB, i talked to him about a week or two ago, and he is pumped and ready to play. from what he told me he wants the job pretty bad.

Bull19
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
im expecting colton smith from bellville to have a big year. he's 6'7 or so 220 pounds and can really crash the boards. i expect him to put up some big #'s next year for coach collier's team next year.

buffbaseball
04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
im expecting colton smith from bellville to have a big year. he's 6'7 or so 220 pounds and can really crash the boards. i expect him to put up some big #'s next year for coach collier's team next year.

b19, dont know if you noticed or not, but this is a football thread:clap:

Bull19
04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
b19, dont know if you noticed or not, but this is a football thread:clap:

doesnt say it is in the thread title, or by the 1st post by the person who started it.

buffbaseball
04-16-2008, 01:44 PM

i think if the thread starter starts off by mentioning a RB, it means that it is a football thread;)

Buffgal
04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
hard headed as in ability to hit head against brick wall and not hurt, or stubbornness to stick their nose in a 300 lb OT? im assuming number 2 is right...as for the JV QB, i talked to him about a week or two ago, and he is pumped and ready to play. from what he told me he wants the job pretty bad.

hard head thing, I think both kinds help in football
Very relieved to hear the news about JV QB, we need him and the great attitude of being pumped and ready to play.

CheerMom
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
You could also post that under great names.

CheerMom, did your daughter get a small part in brad Pitt's new movie?

His name is there, and no she's still waiting for her phone to ring...:D

87 TIGER
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Cois Walker RB
Joe Sanders WR
Logan David DT
Greg Shelf RB

ProudHornetMom
04-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Well...from Caldwell...no wait, silly me...if I dare mention Caldwell..I'll either PO my Bellville and Giddings friends who will scream their declared hate for all things Caldwell...or be forced to mention pro scouts...;)

Actually just wanted to be a part of some thread on the boards and couldn't find one to join in.;)

SUPERMANN5107
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Abilene Wylie LB, Jesse Jennings. He is worth the price of admission to watch. Also plays some FB, but is one of the most entertaining defensive players I've seen in High School in a long time.

Is that Josh Jennings brother by any chance? I played against him in the FCA game last year. Great guy to go up against and even better guy off the field.

orange machine
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I dont know the kids name, but the QB from Pittsburg was a very solid player.

CueroDad08
04-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Tyler Arndt Cuero soph. QB had a great season,And will look to lead the way for the Gobblers in his Jr. season

crabman
04-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Alex Buckley from Palacios. Aaron Buckley's younger brother. Linebacker. Different body than Aaron. Alex is short and stocky. State qualifier in powerlifting. Rumored to be moving from offensive guard to fullback. Watch out if that is true. Really good linebacker. Excellent pursuit and loves contact.

bandera7
04-16-2008, 11:32 PM
When we played Giddings in 7 on 7, we knew you would be fast. However, we didnt have any problems with your speed...except one kid...and we heard the players calling him freshman. The kid blew by my linebacker and before I even had a chance to see him past me but Brock threw a crappy ball and I almost picked it. Any idea what kid im talking about?

navscanmaster
04-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Well...from Caldwell...no wait, silly me...if I dare mention Caldwell..I'll either PO my Bellville and Giddings friends who will scream their declared hate for all things Caldwell...or be forced to mention pro scouts...;)

Actually just wanted to be a part of some thread on the boards and couldn't find one to join in.;)

You guys have a pretty good defense returning, right? Isn't Ofszarczak, or whatever his name is, coming back too?

48minutes
04-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
When we played Giddings in 7 on 7, we knew you would be fast. However, we didnt have any problems with your speed...except one kid...and we heard the players calling him freshman. The kid blew by my linebacker and before I even had a chance to see him past me but Brock threw a crappy ball and I almost picked it. Any idea what kid im talking about?

David Bradshaw or Eric Rhimes(spelling)

Both are freshman who were on varsity last year. Expect them both to have alot better year this year with a little experience.

Buffgal
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
don't know if he even played 7x7 last summer but
could have been Cory Brite too. Different body build than David & Eric but still has than tremendous speed. Heard he is playing this summer.

If Giddings can get a QB that can throw the ball, watch out for this group and a few others. WOW, they can fly!!!!!

ProudHornetMom
04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
You guys have a pretty good defense returning, right? Isn't Ofszarczak, or whatever his name is, coming back too?

Thanks Navscanmaster. We lost quite a few seniors including Ofczarak who was a strong team leader. The younger ones are working hard, I think we'll be OK.

48minutes
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
don't know if he even played 7x7 last summer but
could have been Cory Brite too. Different body build than David & Eric but still has than tremendous speed. Heard he is playing this summer.

If Giddings can get a QB that can throw the ball, watch out for this group and a few others. WOW, they can fly!!!!!

Corey can fly, you are correct. But corey was a soph. at the time, not a freshman. :)