PDA

View Full Version : Hidalgo #11 on US News & WR's list of top high schools

big daddy russ
01-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Was flipping through a US News and World Report today and saw their pic in the table of contents. Wonder if any of the Hidalgo natives saw this.

Congratulations Hidalgo. What an amazing honor.

link (http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2007/11/29/gold-medal-schools.html)

PS: If anyone out there has an account on the RGV website, would you post it over there for me? I'm having trouble with my account login.

BullFrog Dad
01-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Hidalgo Co. has another one at #23! BDR have you got any info about that area? That's pretty impressive for them to land two in the Top 25!

STANG RED
01-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Hidalgo Co. has another one at #23! BDR have you got any info about that area? That's pretty impressive for them to land two in the Top 25!

Look a little closer and you'll see another in Hidalgo Co. a little further down the list.
Frankley I'm a little shocked, but it goes to show that you cant use a high % hispanic or underprevilaged population as an excuse for poor performance. Maybe other schools around the state should go take a look at what their doing down there to get those results. They must be doing lots of things right!

big daddy russ
01-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Not really, but I was reading a little in the rankings and it looks like they factor in the poverty rate and adjust the numbers based on opportunities afforded by having more money. My fiance was saying that culturally, Mexican households (by that, I mean households that came from Mexico, not so much native Hispanics) tend to value education more than many other cultures. The parents may not have the resources or education themselves to help their kids in school, but they're very supportive of the teacher and the autority within the classroom.

That may be a contributing factor, but I'll bet the district also contributes to it a lot. There are tons of schools in the Rio Grande Valley and all over the Southwest US with similar demographics, but these are the ones that made the list.