PDA

View Full Version : Class 4A to add 4th playoff team!

trojan37
01-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry, but this is getting absolutely ridiculous. You might as well let the whole district go. I know teams with losing records have gone two and three rounds deep in the playoffs, but there will be a bunch of teams that will be absolutely pummeled, being that helpless 4th place team that squeaked into the playoffs. The superintendents voted on it, but it still has to be approved by the commissioner of education. Since when do supes have any sayso on this matter?

We suck and get to go to the playoffs (http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/011108dnspouil.2ca8ac7.html)

Blitzkrieg
01-12-2008, 03:21 AM
whats going to happen with the districts with 5 teams? In the bigger stronger districts it doesnt matter but what bout the smaller weaker districts. thats my question.

3afan
01-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
.... let the whole district go. ...

yay - more playoff games!

zebrablue2
01-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
yay - more playoff games!

for us to work. hoooooooooray.................

King_LeYoeNidas
01-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I remember the good old days of 2 teams going.

I swear...anyone who supports this stupid decision only does so because their team SUCKS on a normal basis and this gets them in for their 15 seconds of glory before getting squashed by a team that deserves to be there.

trojan37
01-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
I remember the good old days of 2 teams going.

I swear...anyone who supports this stupid decision only does so because their team SUCKS on a normal basis and this gets them in for their 15 seconds of glory before getting squashed by a team that deserves to be there.

I remember the good old days when only 1 team went to the playoffs. Year after year you would see 9-1 teams sitting at home.

3afan
01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
.... Year after year you would see 9-1 teams sitting at home.

and why is that good? :confused:

Matthew328
01-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I'd rather have 4 teams than 3 teams in....at least the breackets are even.......2 is still the best # IMO

trojan37
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
and why is that good? :confused:

I didn't say it was good. You just had to be the best if you wanted in the playoffs. When we were 2A, we had a coach by the name of Darrell Carlisle, who was here for twenty years. West was district champs 10 out of the twenty years he was here. That was how I grew up watching high school football. If you weren't at the top, you didn't go, plain and simple. I don't have a problem with 2 teams going, but 4 is just stupid.

Adidas410s
01-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I'd rather have 4 teams than 3 teams in....at least the breackets are even.......2 is still the best # IMO
I agree. One bracket...one champion!!! Everything else beyond that is done for revenue purposes. If it wasn't profitable to add additional games...they wouldn't do it.

88bobcats
01-12-2008, 11:37 AM
It's becoming reminiscent of the NHL.....

I think it should only be the top two teams and there should only be one 64-team bracket. It's hard to tell a 9-1 team to stay home; and letting 2nd place teams go to the playoffs can account for the idiosyncratic upsets and weak districts.

Three or four teams with separate state champs with separate state champs is ludicrous. The U.I.L. should just change to ten separate classifications (1A - 10A) and make their apologies for the increase in driving distances.

I remember the 1-team and 2-team days from the 70's and 80's.....at least then we knew who the real state champ was!

Just my two cents.....