PDA

View Full Version : 1925 Silent Movie Chess Fever available on internet!

Phil C
01-11-2008, 09:53 PM
This movie was made in 1925 in Moscow when there was a big chess tournament with many of the great chess masters of the time there including Jose Capablanca who appears in the movie at about the 16th minute. I have shown you that clip before but now you can see the movie which is only about 20 minutes long. Go to the link below and scroll down. It gives the English translation of the movie so you may want to copy it and then at the bottom click where it says Watch the movie here. You are in for a treat. Enjoy

http://www.chessbase.com/newsroom2.asp?id=3559

coach
01-11-2008, 10:03 PM
what grade were you in when the made this phil?

Phil C
01-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by coach
what grade were you in when the made this phil?

Well I think my father was in the 7th grade. :)

Phil C
01-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Besides Jose Capablanca other great chess masters appearing in the movie include Ernest Grunfeld, Frank Marshall, Richard Reti, Rudolph Spielmann, Carlos Torre and F.D. Yates. I will review their photos and identify them where they appear in the movie. A treat indeed to see these great players of 1925.

Phil C
01-12-2008, 04:11 PM
In 1925 the USSR was a young country renamed for Russia. Chess had been popular for years in Russia but the USSR adopted it even farther as a national game because of this movie and the great Moscow tournament in 1925 and the increasing popularity of chess in that country. Eventually the USSR was to have the majority of the world's best chess players and chess world champions. Even though the USSR is no more Russia still is very strong in chess to this day.