PDA

View Full Version : Houston Rockets Discussing Possible Tracy McGrady Trades

TexanFan4Life
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
There are a few, according to Rockets GM Daryl Morey.

T-Mac to Denver for Allen Iverson.

T-Mac, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks to Sacramento for Mike Bibby, Ron Artest, Kenny Thomas

T-Mac and Carl Landry to Minnesota for (I can't remember). It was a horrible return package though.

I'd be all over getting A.I. in Houston. I'm not too excited about giving Aaron Brooks up in his rookie season. He is very exciting to watch and has tons of potential.

Phil C
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
:(

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I just dont see why Denver would trade AI..They are 22-13 he leads them in scoring, assists, shooting %, steals, FT% and pretty much has carried them to this point

eagles_victory
01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I just dont see why Denver would trade AI..They are 22-13 he leads them in scoring, assists, shooting %, steals, FT% and pretty much has carried them to this point plus T-Mac and Melo on the same team just isnt a good fit IMO. When you have two superstars they cant be the same type player which Mcgrady and Anthony are. I think this is just Houston blowing smoke no way they make that trade with Denver.

big daddy russ
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't like any of those trades. Sacramento would make the most sense, but it also makes the Rockets a lot older. If I were trading someone as important to the franchise as T-Mac, it'd have to be for a legit superstar. Someone who could realistically take the team to the next level.

I also wouldn't want a 32-year-old, 5'10," 155 lb. two-guard (and I've met him, he's really that small) who's made a career out of getting into the paint and drawing contact. Iverson's one of my two favorite players in the league (can't decide between him and KG), but how much more gas is really left in the tank? How much more can his body take?

I'd be looking at players who are:
1.) under the age of 29, and
2.) have a legitimate shot at turning them into a championship team.

It may require a couple of extra pieces and a pick or two, but that's alright. The NBA, unlike MLB and the NFL, is won on the shoulders superstars, not groups of really good players. That's why I've been singing the praises of Boston more than anyone since before the season. Where some saw lack of depth, I saw enough superstars and just enough depth to make up for it.

Houston should look at guys like Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh (I know, Toronto probably wouldn't trade a big for a small), and Shawn Marion (even though he's not a big, I'd rather have Marion than Amare... and you could probably get him straight up for T-Mac). Guys that could turn it around on their own.

TexanFan4Life
01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't like any of those trades. Sacramento would make the most sense, but it also makes the Rockets a lot older. If I were trading someone as important to the franchise as T-Mac, it'd have to be for a legit superstar. Someone who could realistically take the team to the next level.

I also wouldn't want a 32-year-old, 5'10," 155 lb. two-guard (and I've met him, he's really that small) who's made a career out of getting into the paint and drawing contact. Iverson's one of my two favorite players in the league (can't decide between him and KG), but how much more gas is really left in the tank? How much more can his body take?

I'd be looking at players who are:
1.) under the age of 29, and
2.) have a legitimate shot at turning them into a championship team.

It may require a couple of extra pieces and a pick or two, but that's alright. The NBA, unlike MLB and the NFL, is won on the shoulders superstars, not groups of really good players. That's why I've been singing the praises of Boston more than anyone since before the season. Where some saw lack of depth, I saw enough superstars and just enough depth to make up for it.

Houston should look at guys like Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh (I know, Toronto probably wouldn't trade a big for a small), and Shawn Marion (even though he's not a big, I'd rather have Marion than Amare... and you could probably get him straight up for T-Mac). Guys that could turn it around on their own.

You're not going to get a superstar for McGrady, because McGrady's not a superstar and GMs know it. Allen Iverson is past his prime, which is why this deal is being talked about. Nevertheless, Iverson can get us over the hump with an improved Rafer Alston and rising star Aaron Brooks in the backcourt. The ONE thing the Rockets are missing is a killer instinct. Allen Iverson possesses just that, and brings a lot more to the table than Tracy does.

I also like the Sacramento proposal, except for the inclusion of Brooks. Replace Brooks with Alston and you've got a deal on that front. I don't like trading young, talent-laden hot shots for proven commodities. It's just my personal philosophy.

Emerson1
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Tracy McGrady=overrated

JasperDog94
01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
If they have a deal on the table for Iverson/McGrady straight up, pull the trigger.

eagles_victory
01-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Shawn Marion will not take you to the next level and make you a championship team. I dont think Chris Bosh will either. Wade has proven that he can do it but IMO those other 2 guys defintely need other big pieces around them to turn a franchise around

Bull's-eye
01-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
There are a few, according to Rockets GM Daryl Morey.

T-Mac to Denver for Allen Iverson.

T-Mac, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks to Sacramento for Mike Bibby, Ron Artest, Kenny Thomas

T-Mac and Carl Landry to Minnesota for (I can't remember). It was a horrible return package though.

I'd be all over getting A.I. in Houston. I'm not too excited about giving Aaron Brooks up in his rookie season. He is very exciting to watch and has tons of potential.

I'm not sure where you got your information, but GM's usually don't publicly discuss possible trades. He might of said other teams have contacted him about possible trades, but I really doubt he would mention names.

SintonFan
01-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Houston is grasping at straws for their season if these rumors have any merit(I do think most of those can help the team though, except for Minnesota, they don't have much imho). Maybe they've come to realize he isn't actually helping the team.
I like Houston and I hope they do anything to make them more competitive...

big daddy russ
01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
You're not going to get a superstar for McGrady, because McGrady's not a superstar and GMs know it.
Calvin Murphy says that all the time. And I believe it. But he's about as close as you can come to superstar status without breaking through that threshold. He's this generation's Adrian Dantley. Just better.

Allen Iverson is past his prime, which is why this deal is being talked about. Nevertheless, Iverson can get us over the hump with an improved Rafer Alston and rising star Aaron Brooks in the backcourt. The ONE thing the Rockets are missing is a killer instinct. Allen Iverson possesses just that, and brings a lot more to the table than Tracy does.

I also like the Sacramento proposal, except for the inclusion of Brooks. Replace Brooks with Alston and you've got a deal on that front. I don't like trading young, talent-laden hot shots for proven commodities. It's just my personal philosophy.
Alston's the most chronically underrated player on that team. One of the best assist-to-turnover ratios in the league, he just can't play defense.

No worries, there, though. Rick Adelman's their coach.

The only knock against Alston that you can bring is that he can't create his own shot like the best of the best. Isn't as strong as Deron Williams and isn't as explosive as Chris Paul, but there's nothing in the books that says he's anything less than one of the top 12 point guards in the league... meaning he's a capable starter.

And what would you be looking for in that Iverson trade? One good year? Two, tops? He wouldn't put them over the top. In his prime, he was one o fthe ten best players in the world. Right now, he's top 30. At best. And yes, Chris Bosh is better than AI right now. So is T-Mac.

Don't change just for the sake of change. Change because it makes you better. And make sure there's no doubt you're getting better. Denver traded for him and didn't get anywhere. And that was the Iverson that was almost two years younger.

These trades are absolutely rediculous and just prove that Houston made a poor choice in their coaching search. Adelman's system works with the right players. These players aren't them. There's exactly one team in the East that would get home court advantage for a round in the West. Right now, the Rockets appear to be aiming at just getting marginally better (if that) rather than becoming a championship team. If I were a hardcore Rockets fan, I'd rather keep T-Mac and see if the light comes on sometime. T-Mac's still only 28 and getting better.

Originally posted by eagles_victory
Shawn Marion will not take you to the next level and make you a championship team. I dont think Chris Bosh will either. Wade has proven that he can do it but IMO those other 2 guys defintely need other big pieces around them to turn a franchise around
Shawn Marion is the second-best player on that team and Chris Bosh is 22 years old. Marion makes that team work without a second post presence and is dangerous inside and out. Bosh is already good and would make the Rockets almost impossible to inside on... but wouldn't work in Adelman's system.

Adelman will never lead this team to a championship. Yao is a very different player than Divac, there isn't a Chris Webber in the fold, and the with the personnel on the Rockets, their offense is better-suited to flow through the point than the post. This isn't the Kings of early-00's. This is the Rockets, built around a few point guards who are distributors and not shoot-first guys. The only two guys on the team who truly fit in Adelman's sytem are McGrady and Scola, so if you're looking for a trade that will make them better within the course of a week, look at trading coaches instead of trading your second-best player for a few over-the-hill has-beens.

big daddy russ
01-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Houston is grasping at straws for their season if these rumors have any merit(I do think most of those can help the team though, except for Minnesota, they don't have much imho). Maybe they've come to realize he isn't actually helping the team.
I like Houston and I hope they do anything to make them more competitive...
I actually like Minny, as long as Al Jefferson's in the package. Maybe Gerald Green (hometown boy) and Al Jefferson for Scola, T-Mac, and Adelman. How's that sound?

Man, it's nice being a Spurs fan and not worrying about rediculous trades like these.

Old Tiger
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Shawn Marion will not take you to the next level and make you a championship team. I dont think Chris Bosh will either. Wade has proven that he can do it but IMO those other 2 guys defintely need other big pieces around them to turn a franchise around Wade with healthy shaq = real good

wade without = average.