01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm heading over to Kent Jackson's then Al Hunt's house to
help them pack. I'll be back tomorrow.:D

nobogey72
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I'm heading over to Kent Jackson's then Al Hunt's house to
help them pack. I'll be back tomorrow.:D

Tell Kent to take Rufus with him. I'm tired of playing against him. Oh, and also that Norman kid too. And, if he's got room, my wife. She could get a job on a rig out there somewhere. She's good in the derrick.:inlove:

wildstangs
01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I still don't understand why so many people in Sweetwater want Jackson gone. The man is doing a great job and winning games. Look at last year, many people didn't think they would make the postseason, much less win a game in the playoffs.

BwdLion_80
01-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Did I miss something? Did he get a new job? Or is Sweetwater Red just hoping?

Snydertigersrul
01-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
Did I miss something? Did he get a new job? Or is Sweetwater Red just hoping?

Kent Jackson is one of the applicants for the Andrews coaching job.

GreenMonster
01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
It's kinda like the old saying: Don't know whatcha got 'til its gone. He may be run based and one dimensional in you fans eyes, but what other intangibles does he bring to the youth of Sweetwater? He is a fine Christian man with Christian principles. He teaches good quality life lessons to his kids. He teaches them to set goals and strive to achieve them. He makes sure that they know that hard work is rewarded with wins. He pushes his kids to give their very best effort every single day. He teaches responsibility and the consequences of being irresponsible. AND HE WINS TOO. Why would you want to get rid of a man that is so obviously good for the youth of Sweetwater in sooo many ways. You find him one dimensional, I find him multi-dimensional in that he's much more than just a football coach but a life coach as well. There are so many idiots out there that are only worried about wins and losses and making themselves look good so as to move up to a "better" job that they forget to make men out of their boys. Kent Jackson doesn't leave that part out. There is a lot more to being a good High School football coach than having a passing attack. That's where Kent's multi-dimensions show up. Where they really count. By the way, the man's peers feel so strongly of his coaching that he was the head coach of one of THEIR all-star teams. This is an honor all of them strive for. Their are a ton of good HS football coaches in this state and most of them agreed that Kent Jackson was deserving of this honor. These are men that live it every day not just every Friday during the season. They aren't on the outside looking in they are the men that wake up each and every day knowing that some 16 year old kid holds their fate in his hands. I think they are highly qualified to judge his abilities when compared to your skewed outside view of what a "good coach" would do on Friday night. Stick with your day job and let Kent Jackson keep cranking out play-off teams and great young MEN.

wildstangs
01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It's kinda like the old saying: Don't know whatcha got 'til its gone. He may be run based and one dimensional in you fans eyes, but what other intangibles does he bring to the youth of Sweetwater? He is a fine Christian man with Christian principles. He teaches good quality life lessons to his kids. He teaches them to set goals and strive to achieve them. He makes sure that they know that hard work is rewarded with wins. He pushes his kids to give their very best effort every single day. He teaches responsibility and the consequences of being irresponsible. AND HE WINS TOO. Why would you want to get rid of a man that is so obviously good for the youth of Sweetwater in sooo many ways. You find him one dimensional, I find him multi-dimensional in that he's much more than just a football coach but a life coach as well. There are so many idiots out there that are only worried about wins and losses and making themselves look good so as to move up to a "better" job that they forget to make men out of their boys. Kent Jackson doesn't leave that part out. There is a lot more to being a good High School football coach than having a passing attack. That's where Kent's multi-dimensions show up. Where they really count. By the way, the man's peers feel so strongly of his coaching that he was the head coach of one of THEIR all-star teams. This is an honor all of them strive for. Their are a ton of good HS football coaches in this state and most of them agreed that Kent Jackson was deserving of this honor. These are men that live it every day not just every Friday during the season. They aren't on the outside looking in they are the men that wake up each and every day knowing that some 16 year old kid holds their fate in his hands. I think they are highly qualified to judge his abilities when compared to your skewed outside view of what a "good coach" would do on Friday night. Stick with your day job and let Kent Jackson keep cranking out play-off teams and great young MEN.

Yeah - What he said!

Sweetwater Red
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM

It's not a matter of me not wanting him to be here. I think he's
a great coach. He applies somewhere else every year. That
means HE doesn't want to be here. If you were a player that
was buying into his program and saw he was looking to get out
year after year, how would you feel?
He wants to leave and I'm not gonna cry. "We" were looking
for a coach when we found him. We'll just go get another one.
Something tells me our applicant list will be a little more
impressive than Andrews.

nobogey72
01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I still don't understand why so many people in Sweetwater want Jackson gone. The man is doing a great job and winning games. Look at last year, many people didn't think they would make the postseason, much less win a game in the playoffs.

I don't either. He is a quality coach and even more a quality person. Evidently some in Sweetwater don't realize what they have. They may be bored with his offense, but they don't realize how hard it is to prepare for. When you see spreads week after week, and then BOOM you play Sweetwater and have to prepare for something totally different, it is effective. IMO the Sweetwater program will drop a notch if he leaves.

Texasfootball2
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I don't either. He is a quality coach and even more a quality person. Evidently some in Sweetwater don't realize what they have. They may be bored with his offense, but they don't realize how hard it is to prepare for. When you see spreads week after week, and then BOOM you play Sweetwater and have to prepare for something totally different, it is effective. IMO the Sweetwater program will drop a notch if he leaves.

Probably drop two notches for a couple of years. He's a class act. Sweetwater has been spoiled by really only having two head coaches over the past 20 years. In know that Dowell was between Ritchey and Jackson and he to is a quality individual but you should feel lucky that your kids have been exposed to two quality individuals like Jackson and Ritchey and have also won a lot of football games over the years.

Ranger Mom
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
But.....when your coach applies for somewhere else every year, it makes you wonder!!!

Texasfootball2
01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
But.....when your coach applies for somewhere else every year, it makes you wonder!!!

I read something on the Old Coach that was very interesting and my be a consideration regarding Coach Jackson. There was a post on there claiming that the list was a composite of names of candidates who had applied and some names of those who the Superintendant's office sent letters of interest to. The post said that they knew of two names on the list of coaches who just recieved the letter and had not applied in any way. Moments later another coach posted that his name was on the list of applicants and he had not applied either, only received the letter from the Sup. Not saying Jackson did or didn't but maybe we should hold our judgement until we have more facts as far as the Andrews job is conserned. I do understand that he applied for a couple of 5A jobs last year, but you can't blame a coach for trying to move up. Because this is a lateral move, and knowing Coach Jackson, I'm inclinded to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.:)

GreenMonster
01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
A wise old coach once told me that as a coach it is always a good idea to interview for a job every year. It's very much like practice in a sense. If you spend time preparing to interview you will be a much better interview. Now you have sharpened a skill and are prepared for when that one great job you've always wanted opens, or heaven forbid you've outlasted your welcome in a town and they want you out. You are investing time and energy into being the very best you can be at whatever it is you do, including interviewing for a future job that you may or may not ever choose to accept. What I'm saying is that Kent Jackson may not ever have plans to leave but wants to make sure he is well prepared for a moment that may never come. That is the same kind of life lessons that he teaches the students at Sweetwater High School. Be prepared for everything, out-work your opponent, and good things will follow. It is very possible that this is just an instance of Kent Jackson striving for excellence in everything he does.

Texasfootball2
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
A wise old coach once told me that as a coach it is always a good idea to interview for a job every year. It's very much like practice in a sense. If you spend time preparing to interview you will be a much better interview. Now you have sharpened a skill and are prepared for when that one great job you've always wanted opens, or heaven forbid you've outlasted your welcome in a town and they want you out. You are investing time and energy into being the very best you can be at whatever it is you do, including interviewing for a future job that you may or may not ever choose to accept. What I'm saying is that Kent Jackson may not ever have plans to leave but wants to make sure he is well prepared for a moment that may never come. That is the same kind of life lessons that he teaches the students at Sweetwater High School. Be prepared for everything, out-work your opponent, and good things will follow. It is very possible that this is just an instance of Kent Jackson striving for excellence in everything he does.

Very nicely done GreenMonster, not dipping seems to have the same affect on your mind that not having sex had on Goerge Constaza's mind. (You will have to be a Seinfeld lover to understand it:thumbsup: :D )

big daddy russ
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
GM, you're a wise man. I'm sure if most of the Sweetwater fans that want him gone were to look outside of their little box, they'd see lists 100 applicants long for just about every vacant HC position in the state. There are a bunch of big names on that list, and I'm sure that just about every HC in the state appears on at least one of them.

I'm a big fan of Coach Hesseltine down here in Ingleside, not only because of what he's done with the team, but also because I've heard great things about him teaching players discipline and essential life lessons and putting those lessons before the team's success. I don't know him personally, nor have I ever met him, but I know that several of our best players (I want to say four or five, but don't quote me on that) were kicked off the team earlier this year for making poor decisions. It cost us down the stretch, but even if we would've missed the playoffs entirely I would've still been on board with that program 100% because of the example it set.

On that note, I have no problem whatsoever seeing Hesseltine's name out there. After what he's done for us, if another offers him and his family a better opportunity, he should take it. As you well know, nothing in that line of work is permanent, and coaches should be allowed to make the best of it before it's gone... with the support of the community. Lamar Lewis, the HC at Ingleside before Hesseltine, took Floresville to the playoffs a couple of times before stumbling a bit when he moved to Ingleside. Last I heard, he was working up in Bandera (I think) as an assistant. Nothing wrong with it, but it just goes to show that nothing's permanent. Lewis was a good guy who just didn't get things going, and he's no longer a HC because of a couple of down years.

I've read a lot about the character of Jackson, and although I've never even seen him in person, I have a lot of respect for the man based on the comments I've read. If the situation in Andrews turns out to be a better situation than Sweetwater and he takes the job, the townsfolk in Sweetwater should wish him the best. He's obviously built a lot of strong relationships, molded many boys into young men, and made some good friends in his time there. If you were lucky enough to either play under a man like that or have a son who played under him, consider yourself blessed and be thankful that there are men like him out there. If he's sacrificed that much of himself to make your community that much better, you should thank him instead of lynch him.

Like I said earlier, I'd love to keep Hesseltine in Ingleside for the next 40 year. But if he ever left, I'd still wish him the best even though it'd be hard to see him go. The fans in Sweetwater should do the same for Jackson should anything happen.

Texasfootball2
01-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
GM, you're a wise man. I'm sure if most of the Sweetwater fans that want him gone were to look outside of their little box, they'd see lists 100 applicants long for just about every vacant HC position in the state. There are a bunch of big names on that list, and I'm sure that just about every HC in the state appears on at least one of them.

I'm a big fan of Coach Hesseltine down here in Ingleside, not only because of what he's done with the team, but also because I've heard great things about him teaching players discipline and essential life lessons and putting those lessons before the team's success. I don't know him personally, nor have I ever met him, but I know that several of our best players (I want to say four or five, but don't quote me on that) were kicked off the team earlier this year for making poor decisions. It cost us down the stretch, but even if we would've missed the playoffs entirely I would've still been on board with that program 100% because of the example it set.

On that note, I have no problem whatsoever seeing Hesseltine's name out there. After what he's done for us, if another offers him and his family a better opportunity, he should take it. As you well know, nothing in that line of work is permanent, and coaches should be allowed to make the best of it before it's gone... with the support of the community. Lamar Lewis, the HC at Ingleside before Hesseltine, took Floresville to the playoffs a couple of times before stumbling a bit when he moved to Ingleside. Last I heard, he was working up in Bandera (I think) as an assistant. Nothing wrong with it, but it just goes to show that nothing's permanent. Lewis was a good guy who just didn't get things going, and he's no longer a HC because of a couple of down years.

I've read a lot about the character of Jackson, and although I've never even seen him in person, I have a lot of respect for the man based on the comments I've read. If the situation in Andrews turns out to be a better situation than Sweetwater and he takes the job, the townsfolk in Sweetwater should wish him the best. He's obviously built a lot of strong relationships, molded many boys into young men, and made some good friends in his time there. If you were lucky enough to either play under a man like that or have a son who played under him, consider yourself blessed and be thankful that there are men like him out there. If he's sacrificed that much of himself to make your community that much better, you should thank him instead of lynch him.

Like I said earlier, I'd love to keep Hesseltine in Ingleside for the next 40 year. But if he ever left, I'd still wish him the best even though it'd be hard to see him go. The fans in Sweetwater should do the same for Jackson should anything happen.

"DIITTO":thumbsup: