PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett to play for Tennessee? (merged)

Sweetwater Red
01-09-2008, 02:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3188170

TexanFan4Life
01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
University of Tennessee, that is.

Texas A&M is also on his list.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7655168?MSNHPHMA

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) - Ryan Mallett has left the Michigan football program, and the quarterback might be reunited with his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

"He's on his way home," Jim Mallett told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We don't know where he's going to go yet, but we need to do something quick. We're going to visit three, four or five schools."

The former Texas Class 4A offensive player of the year may end up at Tennessee, which is considering hiring former Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler.

"If they're hired, that would be a real good possibility," Jim Mallett said. "Ryan really clicked with both coach DeBord and coach Loeffler during the last couple months of the season and during bowl practices, I've never seen Ryan throw the ball or read defenses as well as he did."

Mallett said his son also will consider transferring to Texas A&M, Arkansas and UCLA among other schools. After sitting out next season, he will have three years of eligibility.

"Several schools have called and we're still open-minded about any program that runs a pro-style offense," he said. "He's going to enroll this semester, so we've got to get moving."

Mallett played in 11 games as a freshman, filling in for Chad Henne when he was injured. He was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions.

As soon as Lloyd Carr retired and Rich Rodriguez was hired, Mallett's days seemed to be numbered because of Rodriguez's spread offense that has featured mobile quarterbacks.

"It just wasn't a fit and yet, it was a hard decision," Jim Mallett said. "When he came home for Christmas, he told me and my wife that he really was falling in love with being at Michigan.

"Ryan wants to thank coach Carr, his staff and all the players for helping him have a great experience the past year."

Macarthur
01-09-2008, 02:41 PM
The odds of him landing at A&M are pretty low, but this should send a signal to folks that Sherman is very well known in coaching circles and is very well respected.

TexanFan4Life
01-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
The odds of him landing at A&M are pretty low, but this should send a signal to folks that Sherman is very well known in coaching circles and is very well respected.

True. I'd be really happy for Mike if he did manage to land Mallett, because Ryan's going to turn into an electrifying college QB. Mike might want to think about hiring those 2 guys for the sole purpose of landing Mallett. It'd be a heck of a way to kick things off in College Station.

Macarthur
01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
supposedly Loeffler is in CS today to interview. However, everything I've read says he's leaning toward Tenn.

TexanFan4Life
01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
supposedly Loeffler is in CS today to interview. However, everything I've read says he's leaning toward Tenn.

Really? Thanks for the info. I had no idea he was interviewing down here. I hope, hope, hope Sherman can work some magic. It would mean that Texas A&M would be contending for a Big XII Title in 2 seasons.