PDA

View Full Version : Help?

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Has anyone ever heard of "CV" in reference to a job application? (i.e.: "send CV/resume to....")

ronwx5x
01-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Has anyone ever heard of "CV" in reference to a job application? (i.e.: "send CV/resume to....")
CV means curriculum vitae, "British" for resume>

Txbroadcaster
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM

A Celina fan would know that :D

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
nvm.........got it - Thanks, p4s. :)

And thx, ron....... So it's an orange resume? :eek: ;)

TexanFan4Life
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
nvm.........got it - Thanks, p4s. :)

I know you have it, but I always thought CV was the abbreviation for Cover Letter. Wouldn't it be CL then?

Sweetwater Red
01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
CV means curriculum vitae, "British" for resume>

Wouldn't that be Latin?

44INAROW
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
What's the difference between a resume and a CV? The primary differences are the length, the content and the purpose. A resume is a one or two page summary of your skills, experience and education. A goal of resume writing is to be brief and concise since, at best, the resume reader will spend a minute or so reviewing your qualifications.
A Curriculum Vitae, commonly referred to as CV, is a longer (two or more pages), more detailed synopsis. It includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details.

Good Luck LHPM ;)

TexanFan4Life
01-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
What's the difference between a resume and a CV? The primary differences are the length, the content and the purpose. A resume is a one or two page summary of your skills, experience and education. A goal of resume writing is to be brief and concise since, at best, the resume reader will spend a minute or so reviewing your qualifications.
A Curriculum Vitae, commonly referred to as CV, is a longer (two or more pages), more detailed synopsis. It includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details.

Good Luck LHPM ;)

Why would you want to give a prospective employer a 2+ page long resume? I (and most other employers) only want to see a 3/4 - 1 page resume. I don't care what you call it, it'd still be 2 pages long.

big daddy russ
01-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Why would you want to give a prospective employer a 2+ page long resume? I (and most other employers) only want to see a 3/4 - 1 page resume. I don't care what you call it, it'd still be 2 pages long.
It depends on what job you're applying for. When I was in construction, a resume was what they wanted. They didn't need a detailed list of awards and accomplishments. IF I ever go into teaching at the college level, though, they're going to want to see more, because they take months, rather than weeks, looking these positions over.

crzyjournalist03
01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It depends on what job you're applying for. When I was in construction, a resume was what they wanted. They didn't need a detailed list of awards and accomplishments. IF I ever go into teaching at the college level, though, they're going to want to see more, because they take months, rather than weeks, looking these positions over.

my father-in-law is an Senior VP of an electric company, and when he sends out resumes, they're always at least five pages long, and that's about the minimum that his prospective employers want to see.

big daddy russ
01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
my father-in-law is an Senior VP of an electric company, and when he sends out resumes, they're always at least five pages long, and that's about the minimum that his prospective employers want to see.
Exactly. That's probably a job they take longer to look over than anything I've done. When it's a position that high up in a company and/or that exclusive (i.e. There are only a few to hand out), it tends to be a more in-depth process.

44INAROW
01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life

I guess it all depends on what kind of job a person is applying for. I won't speak for all employers, but if I were in a hiring position (in my line of work at least) the more info on a prospective employee I could get, the better.

nobogey72
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Good Luck LHPM ;)

Thanks,44, but in the future could you be a little more specific?

44INAROW
01-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Thanks,44, but in the future could you be a little more specific?

:D simple cut and paste off of google.......... ;) and I go by the ole saying - if you can't dazzle them with knowledge - baffle them with bull**** :D

WOS87
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
In North America, the terms "résumé" and "CV" may be used interchangeably. However, a résumé more often has a free-form organizational style and is used for seeking employment in the private sector, whereas a curriculum vitae usually has a more standardized look and format for the purpose of seeking positions in academic or educational institutions

LH Panther Mom
01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
:foul: :foul: :foul: I must say that it absolutely stinks to have to write a resume after 12 years. BLAH....... :(

LH Panther Mom
01-31-2008, 10:21 PM
HOORAY!!!!! ***does the happy dance*** I finished! :)

SpeedOption
01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
baffle them with bull**** :D

Plenty of that here.

IHStangFan
01-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Wouldn't that be Latin? The Romans invaded Britain around 55BC and occupied it up until amost 500AD......so yeah...it's quite possible it's Latin & "British" :D