PDA

View Full Version : USC vs Texas 2006 Rose Bowl Best of them All?

Phil C
01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Some may disagree but this game was at the right place at the right time.

It had No. 1 vs No. 2. Other bowl games have had it but there was no controversy that time. They were the two teams with perfect records and were the teams everyone wanted them to see. Both teams were ranked No. 1 or No. 2 all year long.

One team had two Heisman Trophy winners in the backfield while another team had one runner up. (OK maybe it should have been even). Texas had the Maxwell Award Winner for best All Around Back and Davy O'Brien winner for country's best QB in Vince Y oung. Texas also won the Jim Thorpe award as best defensive back in the country. USC had the current Heisman Trophy winner in Reggie Bush and the prior year winner in Matt Leinard. Also Regies Bush won the Doak Walker Award as best running back and the Walter Camp Player of the year award.

USC was the defending National Champions and had a 34 game winning steak. Texas had a 19 game winning steak. This was one of the few years where there was no BCS controversy.

The game was in Los Angeles so you had the Hollywood glamour factor in it.

It was a great exciting well played game by both teams.

It was on nation wide tv and watched all over the world.

There have been great games in the past but few will have all of the above factors in it. Also, there will be great games in the future but few will ever have all of the above factors in it.

A great game indeed.

sahen
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Phil do you watch this game daily or something? I think your posts are funny sometimes esp. cycling and basketweaving and stuff but dude, UT was awesome that year but its 2 years removed now...are you going to relive it and tell the board about it every year after the BCS title game?

Adidas410s
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Phil do you watch this game daily or something? I think your posts are funny sometimes esp. cycling and basketweaving and stuff but dude, UT was awesome that year but its 2 years removed now...are you going to relive it and tell the board about it every year after the BCS title game?
If I remember correctly, Phil watched that game for 100+ consecutive days immediately after the game before his streak ended.

pirate4state
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Phil do you watch this game daily or something? I think your posts are funny sometimes esp. cycling and basketweaving and stuff but dude, UT was awesome that year but its 2 years removed now...are you going to relive it and tell the board about it every year after the BCS title game? Probably. Every once in awhile he likes to tell us about the greatest NBA Finals against the Nets. LOL

At least with Phil his topic thread tells you all you need to know! :)

Phil C
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Can you tell me aother football game that had all of these things that made it great? I don't think there are any.

Phil C
01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
If I remember correctly, Phil watched that game for 100+ consecutive days immediately after the game before his streak ended.

Actually I think it ended at 123 days Ad. I didn't watch the whole game all those days but I either watched the highlights or about the last 7 minutes of it. I did watch it complete through a couple of times though. But the steak did end much to the delight of my wife. :)

sahen
01-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Can you tell me aother football game that had all of these things that made it great? I don't think there are any.

i remember that the title game Ohio State won vs. Miami was quite a game....it even had overtime and Miami was heavy favorites to win while Ohio State shocked everyone....

eagles_victory
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
i remember that the title game Ohio State won vs. Miami was quite a game....it even had overtime and Miami was heavy favorites to win while Ohio State shocked everyone.... I dont think that game compares. It didnt match the non stop excitment of the Texas USC game it was more of a great finish then a great game.

sahen
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I dont think that game compares. It didnt match the non stop excitment of the Texas USC game it was more of a great finish then a great game.

i thought it was pretty good...the problem with this question is being that there are a bunch of texas fans on here of course they will say the UT/USC game was better, it meant a lot more to them than the when 2 teams play that they are not affiliated with....

not that they are wrong UT/USC was a great game, just saying its an opinion not a fact on which game is the "best"....i wish we had more title games like either UT/USC or OSU/Miami, instead of the blowouts like last night which is what we normally have

NastySlot
01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
I think there is a lot of bias towards this game cause we're from Texas....not necessarly Horn fans...but we read the papers and listen to the news broadcast....this was a good game...but in my lifetime I can remember a few better......Miami-Nebraska....two point conversion..............Penn State-Miami.....Penn State-Georgia...Ohio State-Miami.......too much fanfare was made about this game and USC being the greatest team ever.......imo the time just ran out on USC....because in honesty neither defense was that great.........This game like I said was too much hype....really no drama.... now as far great performances.......I will still take nebraska's tommie frazier....

Bigworm
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
That was the most exciting game ive ever seen. Im not going to UT in stead heading more east but ill alway be a fan.

Adidas410s
01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
imo the time just ran out on USC....because in honesty neither defense was that great.........This game like I said was too much hype....really no drama.... now as far great performances.......I will still take nebraska's tommie frazier....

agree on everything you said other than the defenses not being very good. Both teams had highly ranked defenses that now have plenty of guys playing in the NFL...the offensive firepower was just far superior.

Daddy D 11
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
This game like I said was too much hype....really no drama....

:thinking: :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
01-09-2008, 09:52 AM
[BThis game like I said was too much hype....really no drama.... now as far great performances.......I will still take nebraska's tommie frazier.... [/B]

I am sorry but how does a NC title game that comes down to a 4th down and 5 with under 30 seconds left AFTER a 4th down and inches defensive stop not count as drama?

And as great as Frazier's game was agianst Florida..he had less rushing AND throwing yards than Vince Young did agianst USC

Yes the game was WAY overhyped, but IMO it actually lived up to the hype with the actual game.

Phil C
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
None of the other games mentioned had everything I listed. They were great games but they didn't have the Hollywood glamour factor plus the two Hesiman Trophy winners and runner up to name a couple.

NastySlot
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
None of the other games mentioned had everything I listed. They were great games but they didn't have the Hollywood glamour factor plus the two Hesiman Trophy winners and runner up to name a couple.

your right....and unless your watching a movie that doesn't make for jack...when talking football because we all know its about strapping it on and getting after it.........ESPN and all the hype doesn't do anything for me...at the end of the day I want to watch two teams get after it..............not two trying to put on a show and the NC that year and the Rose Bowl the previous year were both shows.

Txbroadcaster
01-09-2008, 10:57 AM
at the end of the day I want to watch two teams get after it..............not two trying to put on a show and the NC that year and the Rose Bowl the previous year were both shows.

and a game that is decided in the last minute does not show two teams getting at it?

NastySlot
01-09-2008, 11:04 AM
sure it does.........but come on not in that game.............my arguement was to let the original poster who asked a question was it the best championship ever....know that i didn't think so.

It was hyped because ESPN made USC larger then life and Texas had one of the greatest players ever............who would have thought Miami beating Nebraska...before it was played would have been as great a game...........probably not many cause there wasn't much hype.............Penn State over Miami became a great game cause defense was played and most of all people wanted Penn State to win after watching Miami come off a plane in Camo and players walk out of a dinner and some dumb A $ $ comment about Japan and Pearl Harbor not eating together............My point I guess is there have been better....but since we live in Texas when tend to be a little bias...even if were not horn fans.