PDA

View Full Version : Which of the D-1A conferences has the toughest academics overall?

big daddy russ
01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I would guess the ACC off the top of my head. Figured the Pac-10 (the Cali schools--Stanford, Berkley, UCLA, and USC--pull some heavy weight) and the Big Ten might also be up there. Unfortunately, I only know about a few schools from each conference.

Anyone else care to take a guess?

Daddy D 11
01-08-2008, 02:46 PM
ACC

Sweetwater Red
01-08-2008, 02:49 PM
The Ivy League conference?:thinking: :devil: :D

NastySlot
01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I know that in the big 10...mich. mich state, northwestern, purdue and illinois are top notch.....im sort of like you don't know about all....................i wonder where the SEC rates on this one....reminds....one time at an A&M/Rice game the MOB did show on Arkansas's leaving the SWC.......I remember the P.A. annoucer saying that Arkansas's leaving raised the GPA's of both the SWC and SEC.

sahen
01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
The Ivy League conference?:thinking: :devil: :D

Ivy League is D1AA

Phil C
01-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know about the rest of the Big 12 but the University of Texas has very high academic standards.

Phil C
01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Probably among Big Time football Colleges the toughest academic standards in order are 1. Rice 2. Notre Dame 3. Texas and 4. SMU

SMU has been called the Harvard of the Southwest.

Sweetwater Red
01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Ivy League is D1AA

Okay. So now I look like a stupid smart ass rather than just the latter.:doh: :D

sahen
01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't know about the rest of the Big 12 but the University of Texas has very high academic standards.

Phil the Big 12 is not near the highest academic conference, but good job throwing the UT homer comment in...

I would guess Pac-10 followed by the ACC

NastySlot
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Probably among Big Time football Colleges the toughest academic standards in order are 1. Rice 2. Notre Dame 3. Texas and 4. SMU

your kidding....right?..........SMU is not that great a school unless you plan on working in the metroplex...........I think they call Rice the Harvard of the Southwest......now I agree with you on Norte Dame....Texas is like most state schools.......for undergrad...now grad school...a little tougher...................thinking about I knew guys that went to Duke and Virginia and I've heard about the admissions and standards.....the ACC by far is the toughest.

sahen
01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Okay. So now I look like a stupid smart ass rather than just the latter.:doh: :D

its ok, easy mistake since come bball time everyone is playing as jsut D1, and as of today there is no more football until sept. so your excused this time...now ya know haha

Adidas410s
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I'll give you a breakdown by USNews ranking in just a few minutes...

big daddy russ
01-08-2008, 03:50 PM
The most selective schools off the top of my head (i.e. You'd better be Valedictorian or Salutitorian to get in):

Rice
Vandy
Notre Dame
BC
Duke
Virginia
North Carolina
Cal
USC
Stanford
Wake Forest

A step below, but still up there (Top ten and a 1400 SAT):
Miami
UCLA
Michigan
Syracuse

That's all I've got. I know UT's close to that, but not on the same level as these schools.

Sweetwater Red
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The most selective schools off the top of my head (i.e. You'd better be Valedictorian or Salutitorian to get in):

Rice
Vandy
Notre Dame
BC
Duke
Virginia
North Carolina
Cal
USC
Stanford
Wake Forest

A step below, but still up there (Top ten and a 1400 SAT):
Miami
UCLA
Michigan
Syracuse

That's all I've got. I know UT's close to that, but not on the same level as these schools.

Miami?:confused:

sahen
01-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Miami is really hard to get into unless if your an athlete....kinda hard to believe but its the truth....

Adidas410s
01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Here is the latest data by conference (with a few selected others) from the current year's USNews Undergraduate Rankings:

http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08022/schoolrankings.gif

For schools NOT in the Top 125, I listed them below and gave them a rank of 150 for average purposes.

A few things to note:
- All 11 of the Big 10 schools are ranked in the Top 75!!!
- The ACC is the only other conference with all schools ranked in the Top 125.
- In the Big East, they only have 8 schools that play football. I put ** next to Georgetown and Marquette. This is to indicate that they are NOT factored into the average rank for the Big East.

big daddy russ
01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Here is the latest data by conference (with a few selected others) from the current year's USNews Undergraduate Rankings:

http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08022/schoolrankings.gif

For schools NOT in the Top 125, I listed them below and gave them a rank of 150 for average purposes.

A few things to note:
- The Big 10 is the only conference will of their schools in the Top 125. In fact they are all in the Top 75!!!
- In the Big East, they only have 8 schools that play football. I put ** next to Georgetown and Marquette. This is to indicate that they are NOT factored into the average rank for the Big East.
Isn't BC in the ACC? And aren't all the ACC's teams in the top 125?

Adidas410s
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM

Adidas410s
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
above post edited...

big daddy russ
01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
They're a private school. Very tough admissions. I looked into it for grad school because they have a program where you can get your masters in journalism in one year. Minimum requirements for admission into any school include a 3.0 overall GPA (which isn't anything special) and a 2000 on your GRE... at least 1000 on the verbal and on the quantitative (which is kinda tough). And that's just to be considered for admission. Far fewer actually get in.

Originally posted by Adidas410s
oops...forgot about that one! I'll fix it...
It's all good. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

NastySlot
01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Miami is really hard to get into unless if your an athlete....kinda hard to believe but its the truth....

yeah...watching the football team and their rep....you would think it was just some type of JUCO......but it's difficult for the rest of the population to get in.

Panther One
01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Michigan 25th, LSU unranked and who knows how low. There's a reason Miles stayed in Baton Rouge. More talent from which to recruit and easier to keep them eligible at LSU.

Old Tiger
01-08-2008, 07:50 PM
MAC?

Astrosdawg07
01-08-2008, 08:25 PM

I would think Baylor would be in there...

sahen
01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I would think Baylor would be in there...

nah its not too hard to get into baylor so that hurts their academic ranking (though this is changing), along w/ the fact that our endowment isnt that big...anyway, all those factors make the USNews ranking of Baylor not so high, but like a lot of schools if you get certain degrees from Baylor its well respected....