PDA

View Full Version : Which NCAA football conference was the best this year?

big daddy russ
01-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I still think the SEC is head-and-shoulders above everyone else, but the Big XII really showed me something this postseason. Also, the loss of one man did more damage to the credibility of the Pac-10 than the loss of hair did to Britney Spears.

Now tell me where you'd rank them and why. Here are some helpful guides.

FINAL AP POLL
1. LSU
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Mizzou
5. Ohio State
6. West Virginia
7. Kansas
8. Oklahoma
9. Virginia Tech
10t. Boston College
10t. Texas
12. Tennessee
13. Florida
14. BYU
15. Auburn
16. Arizona State
17. Cincy
18. Michigan
19. Hawaii
20. Illinois
21. Clemson
22. Texas Tech
23. Oregon
24. Wisconsin
25. Oregon State

TOP 25 FINISHES BY CONFERENCE

1. SEC (5) 1, 2, 12, 13, 15
2. Pac-10 (4) 3, 16, 23, 25
3. Big XII (4) 4, 7, 8, 10t, 22
4. Big Ten (4) 5, 18, 20, 24
5. ACC (3) 9, 10t, 21
6. Big East (2) 6, 17
7. WAC (1) 19
8. Mountain West (1) 14

BOWL RECORDS BY CONFERENCE
1. Sun Belt (1 Bowl Game; FAU) 1-0 1.000
2. Mountain West (5 Bowl Games; AF,BYU,NM,TCU,Utah) 4-1 .800
3. SEC (9 Bowl Games; Ala,Ark,Aub,Fla,Ga,Ky,LSU,MissSt,Ten) 7-2 .778
4. Pac-10 (6 Bowl Games; ASU,Cal,Ore,OSU,UCLA,USC) 4-2 .667
5. Big East (5 Bowl Games; Cin,Rut,UConn,USF,WV) 3-2 .600
6. Big XII (8 Bowl Games; CU,KU,Mis,OU,OSU,Tex,TexA&M,TT) 5-3 .625
7. Big Ten (8 Bowl Games; Ill,Ind,Mich,MichSt,OSU,PSU,Pur,Wis) 3-5 .375
8. C-USA (6 Bowl Games; EC,Hou,Mem,SMiss,Tul,UCF) 2-4 .333
9. ACC (8 Bowl Games; BC,Clem,FSU,GT,Mary,UVa.,VT,WF) 2-6 .250
10. WAC (4 Bowl Games; BSU,FresSt,Haw,Nev) 1-3 .250
11. Independents (1 Bowl Game; Navy) 0-1 .000
12. MAC (3 Bowl Games; BallSt,BG,CMich) 0-3 .000

NastySlot
01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
might be me...but i think there is a big gap between the SEC and the rest of the conferences............to me they are all even or within a few notches of each other.........SEC is like mentioned Head and Shoulders above the rest.

Sweetwater Red
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
On paper you'd have to say SEC. In a year when a defending I-AA
NC beats Michigan who ends the year by beating a I-A defending
NC, it's speaks of parody. Therefore, I am on the fence when it
comes to which is the better conference.

Bigworm
01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Big XII and SEC

vet93
01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Based on the stats...here is where I would rate the conferences.

1. SEC....way ahead in quality and depth

2. Big XII...the lower end (Kansas, Mizzou etc...) have come up considerably to contend with OU and Texas.
3. Pac 10...close to the big twelve

4. Big 10... a couple of notches below the two above but still a quality conference with depth.

5. Big East...improved alot in depth
6. ACC
7. Mountain West...close to the ACC and Big East

8. WAC...clearly the weakest

NastySlot
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
big xii is over-rated......sec week in and week out is brutal.....national champ loses two games in conference in triple ot................I really don't know if there is a team that you could take out of the big xii and put in the sec and they would compete for the title .......now take one and let them eventually grow into that conference and they will compete..........now take an SEC team out and I believe they compete for the big xii title now.......exception...vandy or ole miss...........the SEC is loaded with athletes and very good coaches.......imo big xii, big 10 and pac 10 don't really have much a difference.

big daddy russ
01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
big xii is over-rated......sec week in and week out is brutal.....national champ loses two games in conference in triple ot................I really don't know if there is a team that you could take out of the big xii and put in the sec and they would compete for the title .......now take one and let them eventually grow into that conference and they will compete..........now take an SEC team out and I believe they compete for the big xii title now.......exception...vandy or ole miss...........the SEC is loaded with athletes and very good coaches.......imo big xii, big 10 and pac 10 don't really have much a difference.
Dont' hate on Vandy. They were pretty darn good this year. They gave Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee the scares of their lives. Earl Bennett's an absolute stud, but going to Vandy is like going to Rice. 99% of the football players that go through aren't going to make their millions in the pros. Except at Vandy, when you finally put a decent team together (like this year), you still have to play no less than six top 25-caliber opponents in conference (along with out-of-conference rival Wake Forest... who's headed up by the best coach in America), life's tough.

TexanFan4Life
01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Ohio State is who we thought they were...a piece of crap.

Signed,
The SEC

Sweetwater Red
01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Dont' hate on Vandy. They were pretty darn good this year. They gave Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee the scares of their lives. Earl Bennett's an absolute stud, but going to Vandy is like going to Rice. 99% of the football players that go through aren't going to make their millions in the pros. Except at Vandy, when you finally put a decent team together (like this year), you still have to play no less than six top 25-caliber opponents in conference (along with out-of-conference rival Wake Forest... who's headed up by the best coach in America), life's tough.

Not to mention Vandy's academic requirements for enrollment
are twice what some of their conference opponents are.

big daddy russ
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Not to mention Vandy's academic requirements for enrollment
are twice what some of their conference opponents are.
I had a buddy who was accepted to William and Mary, but got turned down by Vandy. Wound up at Notre Dame. Kinda crazy that you'd find that strict an academic school in the heart of SEC country.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Ohio State is who we thought they were...a piece of crap.

Signed,
The SEC

Luckily, you didn't let them off the hook!!!

NastySlot
01-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

oh not hating on Vandy....they have not only a solid football program....but their entire athletic dept is top notch......this is a school that baylor should try to model themselve after...baylor other athletic programs are good...football just needs to catch up.

Phil C
01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
There are other teams in the country that would have given LSU a better game than Ohio State.

sahen
01-08-2008, 03:13 PM
oh not hating on Vandy....they have not only a solid football program....but their entire athletic dept is top notch......this is a school that baylor should try to model themselve after...baylor other athletic programs are good...football just needs to catch up.

we have the same prob as vandy in that if we ever put together a decent squad (see 2004 and 2005) we have to play a crapload of top 25 teams in conference....the big 12 south is pretty brutal and when your the bottom feeder in a major conference you dont get any breaks once conference season begins...

Old Tiger
01-08-2008, 03:33 PM
oh not hating on Vandy....they have not only a solid football program....but their entire athletic dept is top notch......this is a school that baylor should try to model themselve after...baylor other athletic programs are good...football just needs to catch up. Vandy does good in the SEC and would do real well in any other conference. Especially with the academic standards they have.