PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gibbs resigns...

kaorder1999
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Joe Gibbs resigns as coach of Washington Redskins 8:23 AM CT

08:23 AM CST on Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday.

The Redskins said in a statement that Gibbs will remain part of the Redskins family and serve as a special adviser to owner Dan Snyder. Gibbs was to discuss his decision at a 3 p.m. news conference at Redskins Park.

The Redskins will begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a Hall of Fame career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first tenure from 1981-92; the second time around he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.

Gibbs' resignation comes after one of the best coaching performances of his career, his leadership helping the Redskins focus after the death of safety Sean Taylor on Nov. 27. Washington won its final four regular season games after Taylor's funeral, going from 5-7 to 9-7 to claim the final playoff berth in the NFC.

The emotional run ended Saturday, when the Redskins lost 35-14 at Seattle in the wild-card playoffs.

"It was the toughest (season) for me," Gibbs said Monday. "When you go through a season like that, for a while it's kind of hard to re-grasp reality."

Daddy D 11
01-08-2008, 09:29 AM
didnt see that coming..

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
early leads I'm hearing say that Snyder is going to try to lure Pete Carroll out of USC.

Seems like a decent fit...Carroll is going to need ridiculous amounts of money to leave USC, but he's not opposed to doing so eventually, and Dan Snyder just happens to be a little careless with the amount of money that he spends.

BMOC
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
WOW!!

I thought he had them going in the right direction, this is a surprise!:eek:

Daddy D 11
01-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
early leads I'm hearing say that Snyder is going to try to lure Pete Carroll out of USC.

Seems like a decent fit...Carroll is going to need ridiculous amounts of money to leave USC, but he's not opposed to doing so eventually, and Dan Snyder just happens to be a little careless with the amount of money that he spends.

dan snyder has always come off as very, very arrogant man. thats just me

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by BMOC
WOW!!

I thought he had them going in the right direction, this is a surprise!:eek:

what the story doesn't mention is the fact that he has a young grandson who has been diagnosed with leukemia. Considering that Gibbs is in his late sixties, has other ventures still going in NASCAR, and has a grandson who is in poor health, I can understand why he'd do it.

Macarthur
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
As a boys fan, Carroll doesn't scare me one bit.

And am I the only one that get a little nausiated at all the crap about the skins doing something miraculous because of all their adversity? I think of all people, given what his family is going through, Gibbs would reserve the word "miraculous" for something that really is a miracle. :confused:

Phil C
01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Why??

He got them to the playoffs plus they mainly to lost to Seattle because of two fourth quarter interceptions returned for tds.

Macarthur
01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I just think all this playing on emotion stuff is really overrated. I always think it's silly for folks to attribute some success to some sort of devine intervention.

And I think with his family going through what they are going through with his grandson, I find it really strange that he would attribute the word "miraculous" to a freaking football game.

Bull Butter
01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
He'll have his hands full anyway as his team switches from Chevy to Toyota. Someone will have to be there to oversee Tony Stewart's first meltdown.

TexanFan4Life
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
didnt see that coming..

I sure did. The game's simply passed him by. He's still going to be respected for what he accomplished, but "this is a young man's game, even from a coaching standpoint", as Bill Parcells so eloquently put it after he became Miami's VP of Football Operations.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Why??

He got them to the playoffs plus they mainly to lost to Seattle because of two fourth quarter interceptions returned for tds.

Bill Parcells left after losing to Seattle in the playoffs last year.

piratebg
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, he's leaving a pretty good team heading in the right direction. It took a while but the Redskins are getting there. I haven't watched tv all day so this is kind of a surprise to me.

zebrablue2
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
gibbs was a class act as a coach. age telling him enough is enough. Joe Pa. should follow in his footsteps.