PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about LH's offensive coordinator

eagles_victory
01-08-2008, 08:51 AM
That he is won of ten finalist for the Fairfield job can anybody tell me anything about this guy and if anything has been said about it in Liberty Hill?

Daddy D 11
01-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Havent heard anything, he was THE finalist for the Sinton job last year and decided to stay because Vance is going to retire soon so i dont think he is leaving, but if he does, you would be getting one incredible coach:thumbsup:

kaorder1999
01-08-2008, 09:35 AM
according to officials at Fairfield, they are only taking apps from those with head coaching experience. Does he have head coaching experience? Fairfield officials could also be full of it...you know?

Daddy D 11
01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
according to officials at Fairfield, they are only taking apps from those with head coaching experience. Does he have head coaching experience? Fairfield officials could also be full of it...you know?

dont think he has any head coaching experience. but that doesnt matter, he has been vances right hand man for a very, very long time. the man has rings on one hand, i think he is a good coach:)

Hill Man
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
That he is won of ten finalist for the Fairfield job can anybody tell me anything about this guy and if anything has been said about it in Liberty Hill?

Havn't heard a word yet about this but not surprised Walker is getting consideration for a HC position..
Lives and breathes the Slot-T, came to LH with Vance to run and teach it. If he gets the job tell the boys forget the pass and the linemen to work on the speed for a lot of trap action....

Daddy D 11
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Hill Man
If he gets the job tell the boys forget the pass and the linemen to work on the speed for a lot of trap action....

haha :evillol:

Hill Man
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM

Don't think he has HC experience but been coaching a long time, Came to LH in 01 with Vance as an assistant for San Marcos, not sure how far back from there he has been coaching. I don't think stepping up will be problem for him..
Good guy, the kids like him, tough when appropriate, works hard and long to help the kids get it right.... My older son played for him and nothing but good things to say.
But frankly.. if Vance is looking to retire anytime soon I hope Jeff stays and gets the job here..

kaorder1999
01-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
dont think he has any head coaching experience. but that doesnt matter, he has been vances right hand man for a very, very long time. the man has rings on one hand, i think he is a good coach:)

that might not matter to him but it could matter to Fairfield. Talked with an assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at a recent 5A State Champion and he was told the same thing. Was told they wanted head coaching experience and he need not apply. Stupid for schools to require that but they do anyways

Daddy D 11
01-08-2008, 09:52 AM
dang. well thats good for them. if you want a good program, i guess you have to set the bar high?

Hill Man
01-08-2008, 10:26 AM
dang. well thats good for them. if you want a good program, i guess you have to set the bar high?

Vance came to LH on 2001 as an assistant else where.. Made the playoffs every year except the first since with a seimi-finalist and two state titles. Kinda good for a previous assitant coach....
Sounds a lillte short sighted of Fairfield if you ask me not looking at a coach from a successfull program when that person had a lot to do with it... They are 3A right? Your not talking about a large 5A program...
Oh well... like I said, I would rather keep Walker here.

kaorder1999
01-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh believe me...I understand where you are coming from. This is their thinking behind all of it. They are looking for an AD #1 and a Head Football Coach #2. They want someone with the experience of dealing with ALL sports and keeping all happy. Like I said, that is their thinking. And maybe I mis-spoke. Their requirement was previous AD experience in the job posting and word of mouth.

Centextrash
01-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Hill Man
Don't think he has HC experience but been coaching a long time, Came to LH in 01 with Vance as an assistant for San Marcos, not sure how far back from there he has been coaching. I don't think stepping up will be problem for him..
Good guy, the kids like him, tough when appropriate, works hard and long to help the kids get it right.... My older son played for him and nothing but good things to say.
But frankly.. if Vance is looking to retire anytime soon I hope Jeff stays and gets the job here..

If what you say is true...then It may not be Walker...

mwynn05
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Oh believe me...I understand where you are coming from. This is their thinking behind all of it. They are looking for an AD #1 and a Head Football Coach #2. They want someone with the experience of dealing with ALL sports and keeping all happy. Like I said, that is their thinking. And maybe I mis-spoke. Their requirement was previous AD experience in the job posting and word of mouth. That's the way it should be though

FutureAD
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Havent heard anything, he was THE finalist for the Sinton job last year and decided to stay because Vance is going to retire soon so i dont think he is leaving, but if he does, you would be getting one incredible coach:thumbsup:

ya he made a smart decision with that one...lol

eagles_victory
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I couldnt get any names other then him but Im pretty sure this is true it came from a source who heard it from the high school principal.

eagles_victory
01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Havent heard anything, he was THE finalist for the Sinton job last year and decided to stay because Vance is going to retire soon so i dont think he is leaving, but if he does, you would be getting one incredible coach:thumbsup: Heard he didnt go to Sinton because LHPantherMom told him about P4S and he was wanted no part of that and decided to stay another year.

Dogman_1969
01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
If he does go to FField it will sure be a blow to the Panthers. I may be wrong but I think he is the coach that calls the offense from the side lines. I noticed he doesn't wear a headset or carry a clipboard, just watches and adjusts depending on what the defense gives him. I was impressed....

I wonder who LH would get or would they promote from within?

Hill Man
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
If he does go to FField it will sure be a blow to the Panthers. I may be wrong but I think he is the coach that calls the offense from the side lines. I noticed he doesn't wear a headset or carry a clipboard, just watches and adjusts depending on what the defense gives him. I was impressed....

thats the man

Panther One
01-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969

Coach Walker knows the slot-T inside and out and losing him would definitely be a blow to our offense, but don't underestimate the work of our other offensive coaches. Just because Coach Walker doesn't wear a headset doesn't mean he isn't in communication with the guys in the press box. There's just another coach serving as a middle man. The other offensive coaches on the sidelines play a big part, as well, especially the O line coach. The O line play is a huge part of our success and their execution and adjustments can largely be attributed to Coach Draper. If you watch our subvarsity teams play, you'll know that Coach Herman (9th) and Coach Draper (JV) call a pretty good game, too.

Coach Vance should probably get the most credit for turning LH into the program that it is now, and Coach Walker is the reason for much of our offensive success, but you don't win state with just two good coaches. We have one of the best staffs in the state, several of whom will be head coaches in the near future. While you'd like to keep the staff together, it's not going to happen. Whether it's this year, next year, or further into the future, we're going to have some turnover as coaches move on to advance their careers. I just hope one of them sticks around to wait out Coach Vance. When he does retire, it sure would be nice to keep some consistency in the program.

LH Panther Mom
01-11-2008, 01:00 AM
ev - just wondering.....the OC or Walker? :confused:

Panther One
01-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
ev - just wondering.....the OC or Walker? :confused:
I think most people still consider Coach Walker the OC, since he calls the plays, even though he was promoted to asst head coach.

bluecat
01-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Walker should move up very easily into a H/C job.Fairfield is a fool if not having previous H/C experience, is a prerequiste for the available A/D -H/C job. Walker came over with Vance from San Marcos ISD after Bruce Bush left. Vance supposedly was a asst.
for Bush back in the 90"s at Gregory-Portland, don"t know about whether Walker was at G-P with Vance.

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Doesnt shock me one bit. When they posted the job it specifically said "Must have past AD experience."

That happens a lot now a days. Yes they are hiring a football coach they hope wins games but at the same time they are looking more for a person to run the entire athletic program. In the admins eyes, they are taking a risk hiring someone who has never done that before.

duckpluck
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
It wasnt Walker but another coach that is actually is listed as LH OC.
Walker is listed as assistant head coach but calls the plays.

LH assistant also has applied at Bastrop, dont know who it is and I know there is another assiatant with apps out.

Haunta Yo
01-17-2008, 11:06 PM
From another site...

"Piske to Fairfield
Coach Piske is the new head man at Fairfield. Any idea of who will replace him at Valley Mills? "

Bastrop has already hired Plano East OC.

As for the rest of this thread, Vance is HC and calls the defense, Walker is Asst HC and calls the offense, Draper is considered the OC and definitely has game time input.

Solid staff that has stayed together for longer than most that are this successsful. Usually successful teams have coordinators that get HC jobs. Coach Vance's biggest success has been keeping this same staff in LH the past few years...

HC opportunities will cut into a staff big time because they'll take coaches with 'em. You don't just lose the guy that got the HC job.

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Doesnt shock me one bit. When they posted the job it specifically said "Must have past AD experience."

I talked to a coach and he said that wasnt true about the ad experience.

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I talked to a coach and he said that wasnt true about the ad experience.

The two internet job postings said "Must have previous AD experience." Called the Admin office and asked and they said it was a requirement to be considered.

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 11:12 PM
The two internet job postings said "Must have previous AD experience." Called the Admin office and asked and they said it was a requirement to be considered. would you have applied?

coach
01-17-2008, 11:14 PM
there were 5 finalist and every finalist had atleast one state championship ring

kaorder1999
01-17-2008, 11:14 PM
would you have applied?

no...had a buddy that was interested. He didnt want to call and ask and I was like...what the heck....so I called. HAHA

I dont have NEAR the experience to be considered for jobs like Fairfield.

maestro
01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
let coach duncan take charge...

a quality young coach who knows the offense very well.....

there you go coach duncan....an endorsement....

eagles_victory
01-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by coach
there were 5 finalist and every finalist had atleast one state championship ring not as a hc/ad

coach
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
well yeah but they all were atleast an oc or dc or hc and had atleast one ring that is much better than the last finalist

eagles_victory
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by coach
well yeah but they all were atleast an oc or dc or hc and had atleast one ring that is much better than the last finalist i agree with that 100 percent