PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Clemens is innocent

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Listening to a phone call from the trainer to Clemens and I tell you..he might be innocent

iknoweverything
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
i missed it. what was in it?

eagles_victory
01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
i missed it. what was in it? on sportscenter right now

eagles_victory
01-07-2008, 06:13 PM
This doesnt really add up something just sounds fishy about the whole situation

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
for those of us who don't have a television around, can you share what this is about and what the conversation involved?

eagles_victory
01-07-2008, 06:17 PM
hope this helps crzy

Roger Clemens repeatedly denied using steroids during a conversation with Brian McNamee, but the former trainer would not confirm or deny his assertation.

On Monday, Clemens and his lawyer played a tape of a 17-minute conversation between the two as the pitcher continues his defense of allegations in the Mitchell report that he used performance-enchancing drugs.

McNamee told the Mitchell commission that he injected the seven-time Cy Young award winner with steroids and human growth hormone.

"For the life of me I'm trying to figure out why you told guys I did steroids," Clemens says to McNamee on the tape.

"I understand that," McNamee responds.

Over and over, Clemens makes statements like, "I just want the truth out there and like I said, I can't believe what is being said."

But McNamee never says that he lied to the Mitchell commission regarding Clemens' alleged steroid use. He does repeatedly ask what he can do for Clemens.

"I'm telling the truth and I want it out there," Clemens says, and McNamee responds, "Tell me what you want me to do. I'll go to jail. I'll do whatever you want."

At no point in the conversation does McNamee say that he would be willing to say that Clemens did not take steroids. It is not clear if McNamee knew the conversation was being taped.

McNamee, however, is obviously distraught. Saying his son is sick and that he has no money, McNamee says, "I want it to go away. I'm with you in your corner ... but I also don't want to go to jail. It has nothing to do with you. I'd also like to sit down in person with you."

Clemens does not agree to meet, instead saying, "Just give me a little time."

Clemens' interview with "60 Minutes" aired on Sunday night, and the pitcher angrily denied taking performance-enhancing drugs.

His appearance came after weeks of criticism that he wasn't publicly denying the allegations.

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said on Monday the legal team told the pitcher to wait.

"We knew that once this came out, there would surely be congressional hearings," Hardin said.

Hardin also wanted to make clear that Clemens and his legal team was not questioning George Mitchell.

"How could an icon like George Mitchell, with unimpeachable integrity, put out a report that is a lie if Roger is telling the truth," he said.

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
:thinking: the fact that it was purposely being taped by Clemens discredits it just a bit.

I mean, if you knew you were taping a conversation, you'd probably purposely say all the right things too, right?

Sure, the trainer's comments can be construed as though he's admitting to lying, but he never actually admits...I'd tell a friend that I understood and would bite a bullet for him if it turned out that some comments I made about him could ruin his life, but unless the trainer wants to publicly come out and say he's lying, I'm still not going to pass judgement either way.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-08-2008, 08:30 AM
IMO, this recording did nothing to prove that Clemens didn't use steroids. At one point, the trainer made the comment...."The truth is the truth...it is what it is." Also, several times the trainer said, "Tell me what you want me to do". Roger wouldn't say anything. I never heard Roger say anything about the trainer lying - just made the comment that he couldn't believe he would say it. Roger did say a couple of times that he just wants the truth, but in the same breath he's mentioning other stories.

themsu97
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
here is my take taking in all that has been done... McNamee is telling the truth... and that is the only time that Roger did use steroids... the key here is that Clemens feels that if he is proven to use steroids once, then people will believe he was always a steroid user, which is not the case... I believe, based on what is out there so far, that Roger only used it one time to try and recover, much like Pettite,
Roger is a hard worker and I cannot see him always using steroids but I can see any one making a mistake once to recover quicker...

just my take, but Roger is still in the news and spotlight way too much

Macarthur
01-08-2008, 10:50 AM
crzy is right. The tape means nothing, IMO.

I think he did it. I think he is a spoiled bully. He's always gotten his way. And let's not forget, Roger has never really been a straight up guy. How many times did he want to leave a team so he could "get closer to home" and end up in Toronto or NY? He's an arrogant rick with a P if you ask me.