PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Sweep????

KATS
01-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Who runs the Rocket Sweep with success???

3afan
01-07-2008, 07:24 AM
OK I'll ask - what is the Rocket Sweep?

navscanmaster
01-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by KATS
Who runs the Rocket Sweep with success???

I have seen it run, but only once in a blue moon. Now who could run the rocket sweep with success is a good question, because there are a lot of teams out there that could run it as a supplement to their spread offense. Pretty much matches the secondary up with your ball-carriers instead of the d-line or most of the linebacking corps because it gets going downfield before penetration really makes a difference. I wish I had a video of it somewhere, I haven't seen it in so long.

KATS
01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
http://jetsweep.com/media/PHRockets.wmv

Adidas410s
01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by KATS
http://jetsweep.com/media/PHRockets.wmv
I love little #3 in the second clip. Poor guy knows what play is coming but can't do anything about it...and then he takes a dive on his own at the end of the play...

FutureAD
01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
i could be wrong but whenever we would play Gregory Portland they would try to do it against us but it never really worked...

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I love little #3 in the second clip. Poor guy knows what play is coming but can't do anything about it...and then he takes a dive on his own at the end of the play...

IMO it did not look like he took a dive, looked like he got off balance and the big man finished it off

Old Tiger
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I ran that once and got blown up by the DE :(

Matthew328
01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Everman runs it quite often with success....its actually a take off of the old Wing T buck sweep except that the slot WR in the spread is going full speed when gets the ball instead of being in motion

Everman runs a modified version of this as they'll be in shotgun and send the reciever in motion and right when he crosses the tackle the ball is snapped and the QB direct hands it to the back in motion who is already going full speed

You can also run some nice play action off it or fake the rocket and give to the back in the backfield

FutureAD
01-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Everman runs it quite often with success....its actually a take off of the old Wing T buck sweep except that the slot WR in the spread is going full speed when gets the ball instead of being in motion

Everman runs a modified version of this as they'll be in shotgun and send the reciever in motion and right when he crosses the tackle the ball is snapped and the QB direct hands it to the back in motion who is already going full speed

You can also run some nice play action off it or fake the rocket and give to the back in the backfield

ya from what ive seen alot of teams use it to get an outside linebacker or cornerback off balance or maybe catch them guessing then go over the top...

Dogman_1969
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Liberty Hill ran their version of it with Gonzales in the playoffs about 200 times. See the Navasota tape....

They line up a back in a nasty slot, he turns toward the QB like he's in motion and after the FB goes by on the dive he takes the handoff from the QB who now has his back to the line of scrimmage.

Best rocket sweep I have seen was ran out of the shotgun. QB took the snap, turned his back to the line, while the the lone RB faked the zone read off tackle, the wing back came around like a statue of Liberty look. That team also ran the same type look and the QB kept the ball and turned and threw a TE screen off of it.