PDA

View Full Version : How Hard Is It To Beat A Team 3 Times In One Season??

ILS1
01-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Looks like the Cowboys will be playing the Giants AGAIN for the 3rd time this year. Cowboys won both earlier match ups 45-35 & 31-20 respectively. Giants seem to be playing with alot of confidence and purpose. I hope the Cowboys come out swinging and don't hold anything back!!! Or they'll be watching the rest of the playoffs from home!!!

GO COWBOYS!!!!

:D :D :D

Stownhorse
01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Looks like the Cowboys will be playing the Giants AGAIN for the 3rd time this year. Cowboys won both earlier match ups 45-35 & 31-20 respectively. Giants seem to be playing with alot of confidence and purpose. I hope the Cowboys come out swinging and don't hold anything back!!! Or they'll be watching the rest of the playoffs from home!!!

GO COWBOYS!!!!

:D :D :D

The Giants are playing their best ball right now.

Daddy D 11
01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
id say its very hard

and whats the score of the giants game right now?

pirate4state
01-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think it's ever been done, but don't hold me to that and wouldn't it be sweet if the Cowboys were the first to do it? :D

SintonFan_inAustin
01-06-2008, 03:28 PM
both games the cowboys offensive line control the line of scrimmage and gave Romo time to look for recievers. Unless the Giants mimic what the Eagles and Redskins did, they will have the same problem again in trying to stop the cowboy offense.

boudreaux
01-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Tough to do. But I have faith in Wade, Romo, Owens. They will win again. It is a tough order but if anyone can they can.

Stownhorse
01-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
id say its very hard

and whats the score of the giants game right now?

24-14 Giants

Astrosdawg07
01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey don't count out Jeff Garcia and the Bucs just yet!

Astrosdawg07
01-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Ok, now it's over....:(

Daddy D 11
01-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
24-14 Giants

gracias

SintonFan_inAustin
01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
BRING on the Giants!!! :D

iknoweverything
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
its not hard when the team is the gaints. even the cowboys defense can stop them

piratebg
01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
The Giants were anything but pushovers the first two games, and they have looked very fired up the past two weeks. I hope the Cowboys are healed up and ready to go next Sunday. It's gonna be a good one.

BILLYFRED0000
01-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Hard to do. If you win both of the first meetings then you don't know what else to do. The team that loses has tried two strategies and can attempt a third. At some point you do what brung ya. But a team that lost twice can see that what brung them did not work on that team and makes them innovate. Thus the team on top will see things at the game that have not been seen. Then what adjustments you make to see if you can win during the process of the game go next. Advantage goes to the team that has lost before.

Astrosdawg07
01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Hard to do. If you win both of the first meetings then you don't know what else to do. The team that loses has tried two strategies and can attempt a third. At some point you do what brung ya. But a team that lost twice can see that what brung them did not work on that team and makes them innovate. Thus the team on top will see things at the game that have not been seen. Then what adjustments you make to see if you can win during the process of the game go next. Advantage goes to the team that has lost before.

I'll agree there.

iknoweverything
01-06-2008, 04:33 PM
sounds like the cowgirls fans are scared

eagles_victory
01-06-2008, 05:26 PM
depends on T.0.s health. I know Sam Madison was out today and if he is out again next week there is no way the Giants secondary can contain the Cowboys recievers. The only chance is if their pass rush comes up big. Ross is young but right now hes one of the worst corners in the league.

SpeedOption
01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Eli wasnt the Giant killer factor today. He played well using screens to take advantage of the DE up field rush. I didnt think he could do it 2 weeks in a row. The int vs the Patriots hurt them. Game hinges on how well Romo plays, TO healthy, and the Eli factor. People have discoverd screen passes to off set hard charging DE's. After the Giants killed the Bucs with that they ran the ball a lot better. But Wade is a great coach, TO is a big game player, Romo is a pro bowler. Cowboys win 31-24 and await the Pack.

pirate4state
01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I don't think it's ever been done, but don't hold me to that and wouldn't it be sweet if the Cowboys were the first to do it? :D hahaha it has been done Seattle vs St Louis 2004, ESPN is good for something ;)

I still think Dallas has NY's #, but they have to come out ready to play!

Should be a good game.

Astrosdawg07
01-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Personally I believe the best thing for Dallas is to receive the opening kickoff and drive down and put up a quick 7! I think that would help Romo get back on track in a hurry. Just punch the Giants in the mouth from the get go!

SintonFan_inAustin
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
hahaha it has been done Seattle vs St Louis 2004, ESPN is good for something ;)

Should be a good game. well it's the first time the Cowboys and Giants have played each other in the playoffs ;)

pirate4state
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
well it's the first time the Cowboys and Giants have played each other in the playoffs ;)

I was just wondering if it had been done by ANY team and it has. St. Louis did it in 2004. :)

sinton66
01-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Besides Owens (if indeed he's able to play) they will also have Terry Glenn back. Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Barber, and Witten are as talented a bunch as you can find if Romo gets time to get the ball out. The game will depend on the offensive line and Romo playing well.

IHStangFan
01-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
both games the cowboys offensive line control the line of scrimmage and gave Romo time to look for recievers. Unless the Giants mimic what the Eagles and Redskins did, they will have the same problem again in trying to stop the cowboy offense. Cowboy O has been sputtering as of late, specially w/out Terrell Owens. They will have to come out firing on all cylinders and disrupt Eli who seems to have found a groove as of late or they might just be going home for the rest of the playoffs.

pirate4state
01-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Besides Owens (if indeed he's able to play) they will also have Terry Glenn back. Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Barber, and Witten are as talented a bunch as you can find if Romo gets time to get the ball out. The game will depend on the offensive line and Romo playing well.

Terry Glenn wasn't much of a factor in the last game, hell for that matter none of them were! :doh: :speech:

It's gonna come down to the big uglies!! :D Can they give Romo enough time to pass the ball & can they open up holes for MB & JJ??

11 out of 17 teams have successfully swept an opponent they faced & beat in the regular season. So, the Cowboys have that going for them. :nerd: LOL

Adidas410s
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I was just wondering if it had been done by ANY team and it has. St. Louis did it in 2004. :)
Since the AFL-NFL merger, there have been 53 meetings between teams playing for the 3rd time in a season. Of those 53, 17 games have had one team trying to win for the 3rd time. The team that enters 2-0 has a record of 11-6 in the 3rd game. :)

pirate4state
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Since the AFL-NFL merger, there have been 53 meetings between teams playing for the 3rd time in a season. Of those 53, 17 games have had one team trying to win for the 3rd time. The team that enters 2-0 has a record of 11-6 in the 3rd game. :) ESPN or NFL Network?

Phil C
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
hahaha it has been done Seattle vs St Louis 2004, ESPN is good for something ;)

Should be a good game.

I agree. It is tough to beat the same team three times in a season but if Dallas plays like it is capable they will beat the Giants. If not look for a close game and possible upset.

Adidas410s
01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
ESPN or NFL Network?
neither site...looked it up! :)

charlesrixey
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I remember in 1999, when the titans went to the super bowl, they beat Jacksonville Jaguars 3 times

the kicker is, (and i don't know this for sure but i am willing to bet), that was the only time in NFL history a team's 3 wins against another in the same season was the only losses for that team that season

Jacksonville was 14-2 in the regular season in 1999, with both losses coming to Tennessee (i think, but am not sure, the jags may not have even won their division with 14 wins, and been a wild card)

what i do know is that Jacksonville lost once again to the Titans in the AFC Championship game, for a third time that season, to finish 15-3

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Since the AFL-NFL merger, there have been 53 meetings between teams playing for the 3rd time in a season. Of those 53, 17 games have had one team trying to win for the 3rd time. The team that enters 2-0 has a record of 11-6 in the 3rd game. :)

So the whole, "it's hard to beat an opponent three times in one season" seems quite a bit overblown. A .647 winning percentage in these games for the 2-0 team seems like it's not THAT hard.

Of course, the last time the Cowboys were in a game like that, they lost to the Cardinals 20-7 in 1998(?) in the game that turned Jake "the Snake" into a more hyped QB than he ever actually was.

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
The flip side to all of this is that the Cowboys know the Giants very well from playing and beating them twice. Plus got to sit home last week and focus on a lot of game tape against the Bucs.

If Dallas shows up to play, it won't even be a contest.

If they do not... hold on to your seats...

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
The flip side to all of this is that the Cowboys know the Giants very well from playing and beating them twice. Plus got to sit home last week and focus on a lot of game tape against the Bucs.

If Dallas shows up to play, it won't even be a contest.

If they do not... hold on to your seats...

and the injuries for each team are going in opposite directions. Taking Jeremy Shockey out of the Giants offense gives the Cowboys D a HUGE advantage in that they don't have to worry about Roy Williams getting burned in coverage like he did by facing Shockey in man coverage in the first two games. T.O. looks ready to go, and if Terry Glenn can contribute even a marginal amount, Dallas is a better team because of it.

And furthermore, let's not forget that Terence Newman didn't play in the first game between the teams when the Giants rolled up the points. Plaxico Burress has been hurt of late, and won't be nearly as effective as he was in game one.