PDA

View Full Version : If June Jones does in fact go to SMU....

TexanFan4Life
01-06-2008, 02:18 AM
...who do you think are some early favorites to take the Hawaii job?

Jerry Glanville would be #1 on their list, in my opinion.

It might be a long shot, but I'd see if Bob Davie wanted to go live in the Aloha State.

tortilla_man
01-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Big Daddy Russ to Hawaii.

SpeedOption
01-06-2008, 12:02 PM
June will be on the hill 4 or 5 years and move on. You can not win at SMU. Not on the D-1 level. Im sure people will argue, but kids will not go there. Good kids to win with. You just cant recruit them to HPU. (Highland Park University) Baylor is simular being a private school and they have a hard time. There are too many factors working against you at HPU. Maybe June will win some. But he took the money. SMU is despertly searching for SOMONE to win. They should call Bobby Collins, Jud Hirtch, and David Stanley. They cant help the now.

Gobbla2001
01-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
June will be on the hill 4 or 5 years and move on. You can not win at SMU. Not on the D-1 level. Im sure people will argue, but kids will not go there.

kids didn't go to Hawaii either and they had horrible recruiting resources...

no Hawaii didn't hang with georgia, but they did win in D1... smu's not in the toughest confrence either...

SpeedOption
01-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Hawaii has beaches. But the hill has the pool at SMU. Lots of daddy's little girl's babes there. But just during the summer. Still wont win. And the things you said were about Hawaii, not SMU.
SMU has worse recruiting resources. You can throw money at it. But you cant win or recruit on the HILL.

Gobbla2001
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
Hawaii has beaches. But the hill has the pool at SMU. Lots of daddy's little girl's babes there. But just during the summer. Still wont win. And the things you said were about Hawaii, not SMU.
SMU has worse recruiting resources. You can throw money at it. But you cant win or recruit on the HILL.

I agree it's not good, but things change... Jones has a big name now, kids know who he is... Jones really couldn't recruit the mainland, now he's smack in the middle of Texas... he'll get some great athletes...

SpeedOption
01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I agree it's not good, but things change... Jones has a big name now, kids know who he is... Jones really couldn't recruit the mainland, now he's smack in the middle of Texas... he'll get some great athletes...

He may get some kids but not athletes. Another thing is that Dodge at UNT hurts SMU too. When/if Todd goes to UT, maybe it will get better for the hill to recruit. I agree hiring a NAME coach, ( I dont think June is a name now, He can be a name in the future, He is a NAME for SMU) will help. Its money Think about this. SMU going no where is a better job than Hawaii in a BCS bowl game? No but I think June figured he had done all he could there at Hawaii. I do. And people offered him money. Its a way to get his foot in the door on the mainland. I do agree June is by far and away better than anyone else they could have got.

Matthew328
01-06-2008, 01:15 PM
When TCU sucked in the days after Wacker left people said the same things about them and look what happened...SMU is probably worse off as I think the death penalty still hurts but there is basically no difference between TCU and SMU except TCU has been winning lately

Adidas410s
01-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
When TCU sucked in the days after Wacker left people said the same things about them and look what happened...SMU is probably worse off as I think the death penalty still hurts but there is basically no difference between TCU and SMU except TCU has been winning lately
Franchionne...a tradition of winning!!! :)

TexanFan4Life
01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Franchionne...a tradition of winning!!! :)

Thanks adidas, for actually answering the question I posed.

Hawaii's got an annual recruiting budget of $50,000, so needless to say Jones hardly ever goes off the island to recruit anyone. It's a crappy situation on Oahu for Jones and he's got some of the worst facilities in college football. I lived there for 3 years and have toured the facilities, attended practices, etc. Jones is smart for leaving Hawaii for SMU.

Johnny Utah
01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
North Texas will hurt SMU's chances at recruits? ARe you kidding? Dodge just fired his DC, he does not get it turned around he might be next. June Jones will do a good job at SMU, better D1 than UNT in my opinion. Will he win? Probably not, but they will be respectable and he will load his pockets and retire!!!

SpeedOption
01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Will he win? Probably not, but they will be respectable and he will load his pockets and retire!!!

Yep true.

mwynn05
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, SMU isn't in a very strong conference, the Sun Belt has passed C-USA by in football