PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady Wins MVP But NOT Unanimous Choice!!!

ILS1
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Add Most Valuable Player to all the other accolades Tom Brady has been collecting.

The New England Patriots' record-setting quarterback drew all but one vote Saturday in romping to The Associated Press 2007 NFL MVP award in the same manner his team romped through its schedule, going 16-0. On the way to the first unbeaten regular season since Miami went 14-0 in 1972, Brady put on a performance for the ages.

"I have always been a huge football fan and will always have great respect for the history of this game," Brady said. "I am grateful to all of the voters for any consideration I was given. It is a tremendous honor and I am sure it is one that my family will one day look back on with great pride."

The eight-year veteran who already has won three Super Bowls helped the Patriots tear through the record books by throwing for 50 touchdowns. He beat Peyton Manning's league mark by one, and also threw 23 of those TD passes to Randy Moss, which lifted the receiver past Jerry Rice's record of 22.

New England scored 589 points, another record, as was the Patriots' 75 touchdowns. Brady led the NFL with a 117.2 passer rating -- no, not another record, but close to Manning's 121.1 in 2004. Only one full-time AFC starter, Jacksonville's David Garrard, had fewer than Brady's eight interceptions. And Brady threw 253 more passes than Garrard.

Brady also was tops with a 68.9 completion percentage, and his 4,806 yards were 383 more than runner-up Drew Brees of New Orleans.

Brady joins a roster of AP MVPs that includes quarterbacks John Unitas, Bart Starr, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, John Elway and Steve Young -- all Hall of Famers.

"I am flattered to join such an esteemed list of players, many of whom I consider the greatest of all time," he said. "I hope that I can set as great of an example for kids around the world as the previous MVPs did for me."

There also was plenty of praise to go around from teammates, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and coach Bill Belichick.

"To be honest, I'm surprised it took so long for him to get this recognition because he's sort of been our MVP since he stepped on the field in '01, in my mind, and the way he just took over," Kraft said. "He treats everyone in that locker room the same way he treats me or the coaches.

"And the thing that I've found most interesting is if you talk to role players or backups how he talks to them and motivates them. He treats them like they're going to the Pro Bowl, with that kind of respect."

Added Mike Vrabel, who has gone from a role player to a Pro Bowl linebacker over the years:

"He's our MVP. I think we've known that for quite some time. "I think his work ethic day in and day out (is most impressive). We get to practice against him so I think that makes us better. I think it makes us a better defense. He puts a lot of time into it. It's important to him. Going out there every week and then trying to play his absolute best is a priority for him."

Brady is the first Patriot selected NFL MVP. He drew 49 of the 50 votes from a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the NFL. Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, the only three-time MVP, got the other vote.

"He deserves it," Belichick said. "I have thought for a long time that there is no past or present quarterback I'd rather coach than Tom Brady, and I am more certain of that every year he plays."

Only in one game, a 20-10 win over the Jets, did Brady not throw for a touchdown. He had 12 games with at least three TD passes.

Those are great stats, but they hardly tell the entire story. Brady's leadership skills overshadow just about everything.

"Tom's one of those guys that goes out there and tries to perform and compete every week," center Dan Koppen said. "He gives maximum effort on every play and every game. What he did was outstanding, but I know he wants more than that. That's what you need in your quarterback."

The last two MVP awards went to running backs LaDainian Tomlinson (2006) and Shaun Alexander (2005). Before that, quarterbacks won four in a row: Peyton Manning in 2004 and in 2003, when he shared it with Steve McNair; Rich Gannon in 2002; and Kurt Warner in 2001.

Story Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmvp&prov=ap&type=lgns)

runthequarter
01-05-2008, 06:49 PM
How the Patriots do it
An inside look at keys to New England's dominance
Posted: Monday December 31, 2007 12:17PM; Updated: Tuesday January 1, 2008 11:03AM

By Ross Tucker, SI.com

Having sandwiched some time as a Patriot in 2005 and 2006 with stints on other teams both before and after, I've seen firsthand why New England is so successful.

Nobody likes the team that wins all the time and perhaps that leads to the healthy antagonism a lot of players have for New England. But deep down, guys who who haven't played there wonder what makes that organization so special.

Where do they get that unfailing confidence and belief that they are going to win every game? Why does it always seem like they know what to do in order to beat opponents, and also precisely what other teams are going to try to do to beat them?

There are many reasons why the Patriots have won three Super Bowls this decade and had the first 16-0 season in NFL history. From top to bottom, they seem to do everything better. Here are the five biggest elements of success I've observed in my time with and against New England.

Clearly identifying keys to the game
Every coach talks about the keys to victory but they tend to do so in broad terms, like "run successfully," "stop the run," and "take care of the football."

Bill Belichick specifically details what must be done for the Patriots to win. He's more likely to say: "We can't let Hines Ward beat us on crossing routes on third down," or "we have to be successful running our scat screen early in the game".

He states the keys on Monday and reinforces them every day of the week to the point where all 53 players on the roster have it ingrained in their consciousness by game day. Players realize that if they take care of these things, they win.

Developing the perfect game plan
New England may do something like go no-huddle against Buffalo in 2003 to tire out mammoth defensive tackles Sam Adams and Pat Williams. Or they'll have four or five linebackers walk around before blitzing in order to confuse a young center or quarterback. You can be sure that the Patriots are going to bring something new to the table every week

Most coaches pay lip service to taking away opponents' strengths, but Belichick practices what he preaches. If he identifies Pittsburgh LB James Harrison as the Steelers best pass rusher, he will make sure right tackle Nick Kaczur always has help. If Ben Roethlisberger making plays on the run is his biggest fear, he will devise a disciplined pass rush scheme that forces Roethlisberger to throw from the pocket. They will go out of their way to ensure that their opponent doesn't beat them with their strengths.

Being proactive in acquiring personnel
I got released by the Bills at the end of training camp in 2005. I had a plethora of workouts that fall for teams that had injuries to offensive linemen.

I worked out for the Patriots later in the year. Personnel man Scott Pioli told me they really wanted to sign me after the season for the next year. Here they were going for a third straight Super Bowl title and they were working on next year.

Building a team, not a collection of athletes
The most critical ingredient in the Patriots' success is the people they select to be on their roster. They put more research into a player's character, work ethic, and most importantly, love of the game of football than they do in his 40-time or vertical jump.

The more guys you have in the locker room who truly love football, the better chance you have to be successful.

Tom Brady
It would be foolish to talk about the Patriots' success without singling out Tom Brady. He is given a great deal of freedom to change plays and protections at the line of scrimmage. Their scheme allows him to re-identify the opposing Mike linebacker in both run and pass plays to always put the Patriots in a more advantageous situation. This critical ingredient allows Brady to consistently audible into running plays in which his linemen have better angles and pass protections that pick up the blitz and allow him to throw deep against man coverage.

Just as important is Brady's unique combination of magnetism and confidence that single him out as the team leader. Every player in that huddle believes they are going to win because of Brady's presence.

During my time in New England I worked as a backup lineman and often had to snap to Brady while playing center. In spite of all of the other chaos that he had to sort through, he always found the time to look me squarely in the eye and say, "C'mon Ross, me and you, let's get a great snap first."

I never wanted to snap a ball so well in my life.

I was a veteran in my fifth and sixth years in the league while in New England and I had started over 20 games, but Brady's ability to single me out and make me feel important for the success of the play was unlike anything I had experienced.

Imagine 52 other guys feeling that way every Sunday and you will begin to truly understand why Brady and the Patriots are redefining perfection.

Ross Tucker has played for five different teams in his NFL career and is currently on Injured Reserve with the Washington Redskins. He has joined SI.com as a regular contributor on the NFL beat.

Panther One
01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
If you take into account the players around them, I think Brett Favre is just as, if not more deserving than Brady. I can understand giving it to Brady, though. What I don't agree with is Belichick winning Coach of the Year. In my opinion, if you are caught cheating, you deserve no awards for that season, regardless of your record. I guess none of that matters if you win, which is why Rodney Harrison continues to receive praise despite his use of HGH.

Jack_Daniels
01-05-2008, 08:12 PM
And Merriman in SD.

Gobbla2001
01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Though I love Favre and would love to see him win the MVP, I just do not believe his 28 TD 15 INT year was more valuable to GB then Brady's 50 TD 8 INT year was for NE... Favre did just have 700 yards less than Brady...

I also look at the Dallas game, the backup came in and did very well against the Cowboys after Favre went out and had a better game than Favre was having... Do you NE comes out on top in one of those close games they had (Bal, NE, Indy, NYG) if Brady goes out in the first? I don't think they do...

I guess one could argue that NE had more rushing yards than the Pack so GB's passing game was more valuable, but it's only a 200 yard difference...

You could also look at where the ball has gone for another arguement for Favre

NE:

7 players with over 100 yds receiving
3 players with over 500 yds receiving
2 players with over 1,000 yds receiving

GB:
10 players with over 100 yds receiving
4 players with over 500 yds receiving
1 player with over 1,000 yds receiving (close to two)

In my opinion those stats would help out Favre more than Brady, but it's not overwhelming... what it shows is that neither QB relies on just one big receiver...

but it all comes down to:

50 td's vs. 28 td's = Brady
8 int's vs. 15 int's = Brady
16 = Brady

I just think you have to give it to Brady... and if not Brady maybe Manning... he's had so many threats sit out this year and he has had a great season for most QBs