PDA

View Full Version : A&M Thread: Let's not get it deleted or locked

BobcatBenny
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Admittedly I am an A&M hater.

But the success KU has is made me want to ask these questions. So I am not trying to create a thread that gets locked or deleted.

Would the level of success that KU obtained this season ultimately satisfy the A&M fans and alum?

Or is it a National Championship or bust?

What is the thought of the 3ADL faithful?

With the BCS and Big XII championship systems there is a certain luck of the draw involved with a National Championship. So would a 12-1 season where you win a BCS game be good enough?

Bull Butter
01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
You're an A&M hater.............Who would have thought?????

carter08
01-04-2008, 04:15 PM
https://www.e-campus.dk/pls/e-campus/docs/F31331/lock.gif

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny

But the success KU has is made me want to ask these questions. So I am not trying to create a thread that gets locked or deleted.

Would the level of success that KU obtained this season ultimately satisfy the A&M fans and alum?

With the BCS and Big XII championship systems there is a certain luck of the draw involved with a National Championship. So would a 12-1 season where you win a BCS game be good enough?

I would hope A&M fans would have to realize you have to crawl before you can walk and would love a KU type of season

sinton66
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM

HATE is such an ugly word, how about "A&M Detestor"?;)

carter08
01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

if he feels like hating, then let him hate.

he's the one with the problem. yea, hating a bunch of buildings and strangers is wrong. but let him do it. its his life he's gonna ruin.

Sweetwater Red
01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I am a detestor of Ohio State. I could care less what
their fans would be happy with.:thinking:

Phil C
01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

Hey 66 how about "I love the Aggies as much as they love UT."

:)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-04-2008, 04:40 PM
It's always going to be National Championship or bust, but that doesn't mean that setting our goals high doesn't mean that there isn't going to be any satisfaction derived from a one loss season and a top five finish in the polls. I guess outsiders mistake having high standards for overzealous, naive fans, but I think the only people who are truly naive are the ones who think that about me, my teammates, and our fans.

eagles_victory
01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
I honestly dont see how it can be national championship or bust for A&M when they have only won one and that was many moons ago

jimmyceatworld
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
many moons ago

you should be a poet or something

BobcatBenny
01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, the hating portion clearly comes from my annual trek with my Aggie buddy to the A&M vs. Tech game.

Yes, I hate my buddy to death. But I hate him so much I would give him one of my kidneys. Funny how hating a football program is different from hating a bunch of people.

But my fascination is with the overall Aggie thought process on what a successful season is.

And yeah, I guess this thread is bound and determined to be locked as opposed to discussed.

What I realized was this, KU was really really good. Lost one to a very good Mizzou team, but to be honest, I think they might have been the best.

Yet, they did not get to be National Champions.

Knowing how A&M fans are obsessed with the National Championship, I was wondering if a season like KU's would be good enough? Why or why not?

Old Tiger
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Their satisfaction comes from beating Texas.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

How would you know what our satisfaction comes from? The closest you've ever come to college football is tuning in to ESPN on Saturday mornings and listening to what Herbstreit and Corso say about the upcoming game.

BobcatBenny
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Please don't get this thread locked or deleted, even though that is fun.

Clearly beating Texas does not satisfy A&M, or coach Franchione would still be employed.

Old Tiger
01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Please don't get this thread locked or deleted, even though that is fun.

Clearly beating Texas does not satisfy A&M, or coach Franchione would still be employed. And he's still be if it weren't for that scandal with the boosters.

Bull Butter
01-04-2008, 05:33 PM
If he was winning 10-11 games a year, he'd still be there, despite the scandal with the boosters

BobcatBenny
01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
And he's still be if it weren't for that scandal with the boosters.
Well, that clearly was a lapse in judgement, but there are levels of satisfaction that would cause that to be overlooked. Or am I mistaken with that belief?

If I change the question, how about OU's season? Would it have been considered successful? Big XII championship, 3 losses, one of which was the Fiesta Bowl loss.

Would that have satisfied any football program and fans? Not just A&M.

When I look at A&M's losses this season, their losses were to some pretty good teams.

One loss to the Big XII champion.
One loss to the Cotton Bowl winner.
One loss to the Gator Bowl winner.
One loss to the Orange Bowl winner.

Then there were their victories.

Victory over the Holiday Bowl winner.
Victory over the Insight Bowl winner.
Victory over the Humanitarian Bowl winner.

OK, the loss to Miami on the road might not be explainable, but not many teams even with Miami on the outs wants to play Miami on the road.

And a bowl loss with an interim coach to Penn State. Well, I think that is explainable.

I guess when I look at this, A&M played a pretty salty schedule and it might have caught them off guard, but to be honest, that is going to happen even to really good programs every now and then.

I guess my point is this. Not A&M's best season, but nothing to be embarassed about either in hindsight.

iknoweverything
01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
How would you know what our satisfaction comes from? The closest you've ever come to college football is tuning in to ESPN on Saturday mornings and listening to what Herbstreit and Corso say about the upcoming game.

God just because you play college football doesnt mean you know all aobut it. You live in a place where people dont see reality. Get over yourself

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
God just because you play college football doesnt mean you know all aobut it. You live in a place where people dont see reality. Get over yourself

First of all, I'm Gary, second of all, I didn't say that I knew all about it, but I do know what the mentality is in the locker room and the goals that we set for ourselves as a team. I was speaking matter of factly and with more knowledge than he or you can claim to know about the status of Aggie football, I live it on a daily basis. I guess if actually having knowledge about something makes me a bad person, then you're the devil because you know everything. I for one just hope that Go Blue will stop saying negative things about our football program and our fans, and I didn't say anything that wasn't true.

runthequarter
01-04-2008, 07:59 PM
The Aggies are like everyone else they want to win. The administration, players, coaches, alums, everyone. Just like at Texas or any other school. The Aggies will win someday because of a great backing from their fans and players like Gary who pour their heart and soul into the university they love. What aout LSU, tOSU, Florida, Miami, WV, Oklahoma? They want to win also. Not everyone will at one time. But yes someone will each year. I have no doubt the Aggies are on their way up with people like Gary and the new head coach Mike Sherman.

coach
01-04-2008, 08:00 PM

and this is coming from a guy whose name is iknoweverything

runthequarter
01-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Nope knows nothing about it.

Stownhorse
01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
This thread should be locked.....Its worthless

iknoweverything
01-04-2008, 08:18 PM
The closest you've ever come to college football is tuning in to ESPN on Saturday mornings and listening to what Herbstreit and Corso say about the upcoming game.

This qoute says enough...... Ill leave it at that and yall can continue on with the conversation

coach
01-04-2008, 08:19 PM
well he has a point lol

iknoweverything
01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by coach
well he has a point lol

A point of how full of himself he is?

Stownhorse
01-04-2008, 08:26 PM
A point of how full of himself he is?

Dude your trash, just keep your sorry comments to yourself.

AP Panther Fan
01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
First of all, I'm Gary

hahahaha...I think he called you God.:D

I thought you might be a presidential candidate someday though!;)

Old Tiger
01-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not dogging A&M. I just posted stereotypical facts. Aggies do a good enough job bringing shame upon their university.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by runthequarter
The Aggies are like everyone else they want to win. The administration, players, coaches, alums, everyone. Just like at Texas or any other school. The Aggies will win someday because of a great backing from their fans and players like Gary who pour their heart and soul into the university they love. What aout LSU, tOSU, Florida, Miami, WV, Oklahoma? They want to win also. Not everyone will at one time. But yes someone will each year. I have no doubt the Aggies are on their way up with people like Gary and the new head coach Mike Sherman.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Gobbla2001
01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
When A&M does get rolling here pretty soon it's gunna be a hard program to stop with the tradition they've always had + a great system that is about to be put in place...

they's about to go some places...

iknoweverything
01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobbla2001
When A&M does get rolling here pretty soon it's gunna be a hard program to stop with the tradition they've always had + a great system that is about to be put in place...

they's about to go some places... [/QUOTE

Same story different year

Gobbla2001
01-04-2008, 09:41 PM

Same story different year [/B]

different coach... I think fran's a good coach but he didn't use this talent right... sherman is a great coach for college... I'm a UT fan so I don't like it, but as a college football fan and a State of Texas fan I'm excited to see how well this offense will play next season... also expecting a complete defensive makeover... not so much different players but it's gunna be closer to a wrecking crew than it has been in quite some time...

big daddy russ
01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I haven't read the thread at all, but I think a one-loss season would get A&M fans fired up instead of grumpy. But I also think that every program is looking for that next level of success, and it's especially prevalent in College Station.

The fanbase of every successful program starts to get impatient after a few years near the top, but not quite there. Where was Florida before Spurrier arrived in '89? Barely putting together winning seasons. Five years later, they're questioning his ability to win the big one.

Penn State, Florida State, and Miami the past few years, Alabama a few years back (I think they're at the A&M level right now where they're expecting big things, but would be ecstatic with a ten-win season), UT in the 90's, MICHIGAN THE PAST TWO YEARS, etc, etc, etc. I can think of a ton of examples of schools that have tasted big-time success, but not a national title, and aren't satisfied with the current state of the program.

The Ags are where Florida was in '88. Tons of talent, expecting big things, but never getting over the hump. If Sherman turns out to be the savior Bill Byrnes thinks he is but doesn't win a title, he'll be in the same spot as Spurrier was back in '95... labeled a coach who can't get over the hump. Just the way things are.

BobcatBenny
01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I must have missed the thread on A&M hiring a defensive coordinator.

Oh, well. :(

BobcatBenny
01-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Will Mike Sherman still have a job if his record at A&M looks like this?

Season 1: 2-9
Season 2: 3-8
Season 3: 6-4
Season 4: 6-5
Season 5: 5-6
Season 6: 2-8

big daddy russ
01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Will Mike Sherman still have a job if his record at A&M looks like this?

Season 1: 2-9
Season 2: 3-8
Season 3: 6-4
Season 4: 6-5
Season 5: 5-6
Season 6: 2-8
Nope, not a chance. But Temple and Duke would take those records any day of the week.

Why, is there a certain coach that posted those records and still has a job?

BobcatBenny
01-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Nope, not a chance. But Temple and Duke would take those records any day of the week.

Why, is there a certain coach that posted those records and still has a job?
Yes, sir.

Frank Beamer of Virgina Tech.

He has yet to win a National Championship, but he has kept his job for over 20 years and has created a team that is probably a perennial powerhouse.

He has trouble winning his bowl games, but does consistently produce 10 and 11 win seasons and has his team in contention.

164-85-2 as Virginia Tech Head Coach with 5 conference titles and a couple of top 3 finishes.

23-40-2 in his first 6 seasons. But it took 9 seasons to win Virginia Tech's first conference title and 10 win season.

Now I understand that A&M strives to be better than that, but my point is I think coaches should get more than 5 seasons sometimes.

Mack Brown has been a coach for 10 years at Texas and only has one conference title, just so happens that one coincided with a National Championship. :D But, IMO he was the benefactor of an enigma.