PDA

View Full Version : What 2 Positions Would You Build Around?

TexanFan4Life
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
If you were charged with building/re-building a High School football program, what 2 positions would you build your team around? I think the 2 most important positions to build around would be MLB and LT, because I feel that 1) stopping the run and 2) protecting your QBs blindside are two keys to building and sustaining a winning football team. Just figured it'd be nice to hear you guys' opinions about this and what positions you would choose to build around.

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Hard question to answer without some basic info first

What offense is being run..What defense

How many talented underclassmen are there and what position

It is not like you can just appoint someone to be a MLB and since that is your focal point on defense they automatically become great

What if a SS is by far your best player

Same on offense

It is not like College where you can pinpoint a position and go out and find the players..You have to mold what you can

Sweetwater Red
01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
If you were charged with building/re-building a High School football program, what 2 positions would you build your team around? I think the 2 most important positions to build around would be MLB and LT, because I feel that 1) stopping the run and 2) protecting your QBs blindside are two keys to building and sustaining a winning football team. Just figured it'd be nice to hear you guys' opinions about this and what positions you would choose to build around.

You can't build around a specific position in HS. You have to play
with the cards you're dealt. What if your best players are
better suited to play RB or FS and you have marginal guys that
you have to stick at LT and MLB? Would you still want to build
your team around them then?

Rocket Dad
01-04-2008, 04:32 PM
1. QB
2. LB
3. O-line

GreenMonster
01-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You can't build around a specific position in HS. You have to play
with the cards you're dealt. What if your best players are
better suited to play RB or FS and you have marginal guys that
you have to stick at LT and MLB? Would you still want to build
your team around them then? great answer Red. The two main positions I would build around first would be offensive and defensive coordinator. I would want good solid, well schooled, young energetic, positive minded Christian men that want to lead. It starts with a good staff and trickles down from there.

sahen
01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
i am always partial to the punter and long snapper...so i'd build around them

BullsFan
01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
1. QB
2. LB
3. O-line

Ditto. Maybe it's our program, but our teams seem to live and die based on the success of our QBs, and that's directly tied into the O-line's success at protection.

waterboy
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
At the high school level it definitely depends on the players you have to work with. I would definitely want my best athletes at the key positions, and would put them in a position that best suits their talents. If I had to choose between building the offense or the defense first, I would definitely start with the defense, and hopefully I would have enough athletes left to put at the skill positions on offense. No matter what level of football we're talking about, defense is always what will win the championships. I don't know how many times I've seen exceptional offensive teams with so-so defenses come up short just because they couldn't get that stop they needed. Any offense will have a bad day (i.e. turnovers, be out of sinc, penalties, the other team's defense stops you, etc.). If the offense has a bad day it's the defense that must bail the team out. I don't think there's enough emphasis placed on the defensive side of the ball these days as there ought to be. The old adage that "offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships" is as true now as it always was, and will always be. I've seen head coaches that always puts their best athletes on offense (some call it STACKING the offense) which leaves the defensive coordinator with what is left. Not only is that not fair, it's a recipe for failure. Just my opinion, though........what do I know?

Old Tiger
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
1. QB
2. DT
3. OL
4. LB
5. CB
6. SS/FS
7. RB
8. DE

runthequarter
01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
1. QB
2. LB
3. Booster Club President

STANG RED
01-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
At the high school level it definitely depends on the players you have to work with. I would definitely want my best athletes at the key positions, and would put them in a position that best suits their talents. If I had to choose between building the offense or the defense first, I would definitely start with the defense, and hopefully I would have enough athletes left to put at the skill positions on offense. No matter what level of football we're talking about, defense is always what will win the championships. I don't know how many times I've seen exceptional offensive teams with so-so defenses come up short just because they couldn't get that stop they needed. Any offense will have a bad day (i.e. turnovers, be out of sinc, penalties, the other team's defense stops you, etc.). If the offense has a bad day it's the defense that must bail the team out. I don't think there's enough emphasis placed on the defensive side of the ball these days as there ought to be. The old adage that "offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships" is as true now as it always was, and will always be. I've seen head coaches that always puts their best athletes on offense (some call it STACKING the offense) which leaves the defensive coordinator with what is left. Not only is that not fair, it's a recipe for failure. Just my opinion, though........what do I know?

True. But at the 3A level and down, most of the best players/athletes play both directions anyway.
But I think you have to start at the QB position. If your O cant move the ball, I dont care how good your D is, eventually their going to wear down and give up points if their on the field too long. I also believe your QB should only play offense if at all possible, unless you have a real solid backup.

tigerpride_08
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Quarterback and Free Safety...

FutureAD
01-05-2008, 02:30 AM
my opinion is...
1:MLB
2:FS
3:QB
4:O-Line
theres always at least one guy that can run the ball in High School might not be better than some kids from other schools but always one good enough to run in High School

eagles_victory
01-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Just get a Lightsey and build around him

pirate4state
01-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by runthequarter
1. QB
2. LB
3. Booster Club President

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Booster Club President :confused:

What does he/she have to do with anything? :thinking:

GreenMonster
01-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Booster Club President :confused:

What does he/she have to do with anything? :thinking: Slips the coaches a hundred after W's, grills steaks after every home game for the coaches and their families, makes sure the coaches have all the fancy new toys available on the coaching market, and raises funds to make sure the kids have the best of everything.

BossHog09
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM
every team has to start w/ an o-line. I'd build mine around the center and quaterback