PDA

View Full Version : Lone trader caused 100 dollar price for oil

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2008, 02:57 PM
NEW YORK (AFP) - A lone trader out to win a little fame made the purchase that took oil prices to the historic 100 dollars a barrel level this week but he lost 600 dollars on the deal, analysts said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The trader has been named by US and British media as Richard Arens who runs a one man oil brokerage, ABS.

"The magic figure was hit apparently on the back of a single trade, rumoured to be a local intent on fame," Sucden analysts wrote in a commentary Thursday on the record breaking deal.

Arens offered 100,000 dollars on the New York market on Wednesday for 1,000 barrels of oil, producing the much talked of 100 dollars per barrel which sparked anguish across the financial markets.

He later sold on the contract for slightly below 100 dollars, taking a 600 dollar loss.

"It was just for the form; he wanted to be the first in the world to buy oil at 100 dollars," said Antoine Heff, an analyst at NewEdge.

The new price record came as a shock to the markets although many had been saying 100 dollars was inevitable at some point given strong demand and supply constraints.

Oil slipped back slightly but hit 100 dollars again on Thursday.

On Friday, profit-taking pushed the price back again, with quotes in late Asian trade of 99.23 dollars for New York's main contract, light sweet crude for delivery in February.

The initial spike to 100 resulted from "really just one trade which was like a stunt," but more trades pushed it above 100 dollars again on Thursday, said Victor Shum, of international energy consultancy Purvin and Gertz in Singapore.

"We have eased off from the 100 dollars level primarily because of some profit taking," Shum said.

Analysts say rising oil demand has outstripped growth in supply. They point to booming Asian economies like China and India and insufficient investment by oil exporters, which has led to a decline in spare production capacity.

Geopolitical tensions and new buying interest from speculative investors like investment funds are also behind the quadrupling in the oil price over the last five years, analysts say.

A weakening US dollar, which makes oil more affordable for buyers in stronger currencies, is another factor cited for the rise in prices.

Phil C
01-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Sounds to me like a scapecoat for the greedy Fat Cats.

sahen
01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Sounds to me like a scapecoat for the greedy Fat Cats.

if he can afford to spend 100 grand on oil and then lose $600 of it like it is no big deal maybe he is one of your greedy Fat Cats?

Spaceman_Spiff
01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I would like to volunteer myself to be the first person to buy a barrel of crude for $1.00 this century. I should be able to buy about 10 barrels at that price, but if the market will follow my lead, I should be of more importance than the idiot that bought it at $100 per barrel.

runthequarter
01-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Analysts say rising oil demand has outstripped growth in supply. They point to booming Asian economies like China and India and insufficient investment by oil exporters, which has led to a decline in spare production capacity.

I.e. the oil companies are taking full profit. They are not up grading, spending any money on new refineries which could make gasoline more efficiently. Its time to make the most money you can. Profit taking in the market? Oh no profit taking by Shell, Exxon, ECT. Gas shortage yeah because the oil refineries are not making it the best they can. Actually a pretty good effort to keep just enough on the market to keep the price up. Don’t think they are not drilling like crazy with oil at 100 bucks a barrel. And we have a gas shortage? No we have a profit shortage for oil companies.

Blastoderm55
01-04-2008, 11:55 PM
If lack of refineries is the excuse for Big Oil, what's stopping them from building refineries in Mexico and just shipping back the finished product? They aren't going to make more money by making more refineries. Sure revenues would be higher, but the profit margin won't be there and that's what they're protecting by manufacturing this false shortage. They're as bad as Nintendo and those damn Wiis. :mad:

Adidas410s
01-05-2008, 02:29 AM
personally...I would rather be the first to SELL oil at $100/barrel! :D