PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Place Rings

eagles_victory
01-04-2008, 02:24 PM
What are your thoughts on teams getting rings for playing in the state championship game? Do you think there is any place for 2nd place rings or should you have to win the whole thing to get a ring?

This is based on a China Spring/Robinson argument on centexfootball

coach
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
imo you should only get rings when you win i saw a guy this summer with a huge ring for the semifinals game

kaorder1999
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
only when you win

Daddy D 11
01-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by coach
imo you should only get rings when you win i saw a guy this summer with a huge ring for the semifinals game

wow, never heard of that one before?

coach
01-04-2008, 02:34 PM
me neither he coached at a 5a school and i asked him what year did you win it all and he said, Ha, i wish, we were one game away from going to state and we got this just imagine what would have looked like if we won it.

Adidas410s
01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
This came up a year or two ago when Gainesville got rings after losing to Wimberley in the D1 finals in 2005. IMO, why get a ring when you didn't win anything?

Daddy D 11
01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
i think they are just posing ridiculously, it takes away from the people that actually beat you and earned it.

3afan
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
whats the big deal - if they want a ring for 2nd place and want to pay for it - so what?

jimmyceatworld
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
You've got to win it. If that isn' the case maybe my team should have got rings for actually winning a district game this year

3afan
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
where is that rule? yes. its tradition, but ...

if they want rings for being on varsity or something like that - so be it IMO

STANG RED
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I think it's silly, but then again it's no skin off my nose either way, so as long as they want to buy them, I dont see what the problem is. Just dont ask me to contribute.

Rocket Dad
01-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Have heard of this before. Several teams get rings that play in the state finals, more of a ring to remember a great season, especially those that have never been there before.

eagles_victory
01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Have heard of this before. Several teams get rings that play in the state finals, more of a ring to remember a great season, especially those that have never been there before. I like what one of the China players said about it best. Ill never forget what a great run and great season me and my teammates had I dont need a second place ring to help me remember

AP Panther Fan
01-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
You've got to win it. If that isn' the case maybe my team should have got rings for actually winning a district game this year

lol...don't worry we would have gotten a piercing (jewelry not included);)

On a serious note, I think you need to win it too.

Emerson1
01-04-2008, 09:33 PM
You have to win it. Stick with the state finalist patch on your jacket if you make it and lose

8HR
01-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I believe Hutto got 2nd place rings two years ago when they lost in the finals.

bobcat1
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I guess it won't be long until Little Johnny gets a participation ring. :rolleyes:

runthequarter
01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Win it. Period. Guess it’s the times and the way people were raised with assertive discipline in schools and maybe at home. I would want one. It would remind me I lost in the finals. I play to win not get second. Do the basketball kids, track kids, vb kids ECT get 2nd place rings? I’m sure now they do. It’s the ME. And as a side note my jacket. Is bare. No patches nothing. Yes we went 3 rounds deep, I was All-Dist, All-Cen-Tex, 2nd Team All State. Never got a patch or anything. People knew I could play. I didn’t have to advertise. The same for the guys I played against. We knew each other and who we were. We didn’t need a letter jacket to tell us who the other guy was. We knew because they PLAYED. Just never saw the point. I wore my jacket for the school. They were nice enough to give me one. It’s in the closet somewhere. I lettered for my school and that’s who I played for. I didn’t really care about all that other stuff. Just the next game, what my assignment was, who I had to tackle, block, beat, throw over, run by. , to help us win. The real deal for me was this. If WE won I got to play another week. Kind of selfish a little I guess but it worked out ok for both of us, me and my school. I would never buy a 2nd place ring. Or not probably a state ring. But I might. I would know I won one. That’s good enough for me. Just my 2 cents. Yeah I know someone will give me change.

FutureAD
01-05-2008, 02:25 AM
well i know when sinton made it and lost in the state game against everman alot of the coaches and kids bought their own rings but whos to say they cant...why cant you buy a ring to remember the moment and accomplishments you achieved...:confused:

Highschoolfan78
01-05-2008, 02:47 AM
2nd place should just get onion rings from Sonic. 1st place only should get the real deal

Stownhorse
01-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by coach

Now thats LAME lmao!

gatordaze
01-05-2008, 07:14 AM
While working the JV chains early in the year, a guy came up to me to ask a question about the field. I noticed that he had a huge ring and I asked what it was for. He said that they got the ring the previous year for second place. He then realized that Celina was also a second place team and responded with... What did you guys get? I replied ... We got to run extra on Monday!

BullFrog Dad
01-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I think the UIL should list the champions only in the archives. That's all sports BTW.

BullFrog Dad
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
I think the UIL should list the champions only in the archives. That's all sports BTW. They should also list only the 1st place finishers for the State Track and Field Meet in the UIL archives IMO.

BullFrog Dad
01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I guess it won't be long until Little Johnny gets a participation ring. :rolleyes: Not in my league!

mrescape43
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Maybe a plaque for playing in state finals.

BullFrog Dad
01-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
only when you win Also you have to beat the spread in all regular season and playoff games or it's no ring. Also going undefeated is a must 'cause if you lose in say week 4 you're not really a Champion since there's at least one team that proved they were better than you.

pirate4state
01-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Maybe a plaque for playing in state finals. the school gets a plaque for a 2nd place finish.

If you want to buy it by all means buy it, but I wouldn't want one unless I won the whole thing and was a varsity member from day 1 in practice until the final snap.

I don't think jv/fish players that were moved up to "boost" numbers and make the sidelines look nice & full should get a ring. Chances are they never even saw the field of play and IMO should not be entitled to a ring. They should WANT and HAVE to earn it!!!

Just MY OPINION.

Emerson1
01-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
the school gets a plaque for a 2nd place finish.

If you want to buy it by all means buy it, but I wouldn't want one unless I won the whole thing and was a varsity member from day 1 in practice until the final snap.

I don't think jv/fish players that were moved up to "boost" numbers and make the sidelines look nice & full should get a ring. Chances are they never even saw the field of play and IMO should not be entitled to a ring. They should WANT and HAVE to earn it!!!

Just MY OPINION.
I think they should. They were at practices until 6:30 every night being tackling dummies for 6 weeks. There are usually JV players who are better then the seniors who have to be on varsity.

pirate4state
01-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I think they should. They were at practices until 6:30 every night being tackling dummies for 6 weeks. There are usually JV players who are better then the seniors who have to be on varsity. Well, you would think if they are THAT much better they'd be playing, right?

It's just my opinion. You don't have to like it or agree with it.

Emerson1
01-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Well, you would think if they are THAT much better they'd be playing, right?

It's just my opinion. You don't have to like it or agree with it.
Not at a school like katy or slc, their JVs could compete in 3a.

JHS_c/o_06'
01-05-2008, 11:28 AM
i didn't get one when we lost to Gilmer in 04 and i wouldnt have it any other way, the whole, of all the losers, you came in first thing never set too well with me.

BobcatBenny
01-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I just ordered my "Wish I could of won a state championship and we finished in the top 250", ring from 1984. It is going to be big and gawdy. I am even glad I waited long enough to order it because I can now afford a real diamond.

I never had known that it was culturally acceptable to do so.

The 3ADL should also start billing itself as educational. :eek:

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
No rings for second place... that is what Letter Jacket patches are for.

This country is getting ridiculously soft and "huggy." Blech. :mad:

3afan
01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
i'll ask it again ... if a person, or team other than the 'champ' or first place team wants to celebrate their accomplishment with a ring ... whats the harm? sure, its not traditional, but so what?

personally I would not want one ...)

FutureAD
01-07-2008, 01:59 PM
doesnt bother me but i think as long as they played in the state game...anything before that i dont think is right.

pirate4state
01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i'll ask it again ... if a person, or team other than the 'champ' or first place team wants to celebrate their accomplishment with a ring ... whats the harm? sure, its not traditional, but so what?

The harm is, IMO, they did not earn the right to have that ring! Don't get me wrong, 2nd place in our great state is nothing to sneeze at, but I just don't like it nor do I have to!

Just like YOU think the term t-shirt fan is STUPID, I think this is STUPID. :D

Bigworm
01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
If they wanna pay the couple hundred dollars for the ring more power to them.:evillol:

Rocket Dad
01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I will clear this up ...... Teams that get rings in high school football that went to but did not win a state title are getting these rings to represent the accomplishment of playing in the "Texas Bowl" or state champiomship game. Similiar to BOTH teams getting a Cotton or Gator etc. Bowl ring. Does the loser of the Rose Bowl not get a ring ? Sure, high school is not the same as college, but the point is "getting there and playing for a title" I know several players and coaches that have these types of high school rings, they do not wear them but have them on a shelf, in a trophy case, etc. for "memories".

Daddy D 11
01-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I know several players and coaches that have these types of high school rings, they do not wear them but have them on a shelf, in a trophy case, etc. for "memories".

now that i respect completly. that is a great idea in my opinion, but dont flaunt it like some.

FutureAD
01-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
now that i respect completly. that is a great idea in my opinion, but dont flaunt it like some.

ya your right you shouldnt flaunt it because you didnt win it all...but alot of teams dont get the chance to even play in a state game and having those memories means alot to players and coaches

pirate4state
01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I will clear this up ...... Teams that get rings in high school football that went to but did not win a state title are getting these rings to represent the accomplishment of playing in the "Texas Bowl" or state champiomship game. Similiar to BOTH teams getting a Cotton or Gator etc. Bowl ring. Does the loser of the Rose Bowl not get a ring ? Sure, high school is not the same as college, but the point is "getting there and playing for a title" I know several players and coaches that have these types of high school rings, they do not wear them but have them on a shelf, in a trophy case, etc. for "memories".

Don't they already get a medal though?? I understand what you are saying though. I guess some people just like shiny rings!

3afan
01-07-2008, 02:59 PM

well said ...

Ranger Mom
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM

I know that several of the boys from Greenwood got them when we played for State in 2002.

eagles_victory
01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
People were saying Robinson's second place rings were bigger then Marts 99 and 2006 state rings. One guy even said bigger then a Cowboys super bowl ring

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
IMHO, patches on a letter jacket are fine for 2nd place. And will still be keepsakes as well.

Soft.

*off to go get my finger sized for the perfect-season-commerating-ring-for-Girls-8U-Basketball-my-daughter-played-in-so-my-genes-deserve-a-ring*

:rolleyes:

FutureAD
01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
[B]IMHO, patches on a letter jacket are fine for 2nd place. And will still be keepsakes as well.

Soft.

*off to go get my finger sized for the perfect-season-commerating-ring-for-Girls-8U-Basketball-my-daughter-played-in-so-my-genes-deserve-a-ring*

ok i wouldnt go that far...thats pushing it a tad...some people are actually talking about if they even make it to state.