PDA

View Full Version : Martellus Bennett to enter the NFL Draft

Adidas410s
01-03-2008, 02:51 PM
according to this bit from article on A&M's Rivals.com site that just went up:

The Legion of Doom, however, will be taking a huge hit as its leader, Martellus Bennett, will forego his senior season to enter the NFL Draft.

Other news agencies have rumored in the past few days that he'll go pro but there hasn't been anything definite yet.

Daddy D 11
01-03-2008, 02:52 PM
interesting, he enters the club of players that shouldnt be leaving but are anyways:dispntd:

jimmyceatworld
01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I guess he figures he'll get the ball thrown to him more in the pros even as a backup

3afan
01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
"Legion of Doom" ???

should that be "Legion of Gloom" ??? :(

:p

iknoweverything
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
interesting, he enters the club of players that shouldnt be leaving but are anyways:dispntd:
\

He does not fit into this category. He is ready to go and is a beast. He was very under used with that thing they call a qb in college station

Daddy D 11
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
\

He does not fit into this category. He is ready to go and is a beast. He was very under used with that thing they call a qb in college station

how would you say that he is ready to go? if infact he was under used like you say, you have not seen what he can do, thus meaning you have no clue if he is ready or not?:thinking:

iknoweverything
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
how would you say that he is ready to go? if infact he was under used like you say, you have not seen what he can do, thus meaning you have no clue if he is ready or not?:thinking:

Because when they DID use him he is very good. Only one on the team besides goodson that is a big play guy.

Daddy D 11
01-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Because when they DID use him he is very good. Only one on the team besides goodson that is a big play guy.

the big play thing is understandable, however he still wont do anything. NFL is a completly different game.

and yes Fran is a idiot, but if he was NFL caliber than the coaching staff would have realized that and you would have seen more passes thrown his way, there are reasons why he isnt used, and its because he is a good college player, but nothing but a back up at the P-R-O level.

88bobcats
01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
the big play thing is understandable, however he still wont do anything. NFL is a completly different game.

and yes Fran is a idiot, but if he was NFL caliber than the coaching staff would have realized that and you would have seen more passes thrown his way, there are reasons why he isnt used, and its because he is a good college player, but nothing but a back up at the P-R-O level.

I think it makes complete sense.....Mike Sherman coming in means a new system for only one year. It might be difficult to shine in a new system for one year. I can completely understand Martellus deciding to move up. If he's going to learn a new system, it might as well be a PRO system and make some money while doing it.

Jamaal Charles is a little different. He's an excellent, explosive, elusive runner; but I think he needs another year at the NCAA level to get ready for the pro ranks. Since Mack will still be in Austin, he won't be learning a new system, so he ought to be able to make a big impact and crank out lots of yards. I think the Port Arthur recruit is now looking to make the big bucks.

iknoweverything
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Bennent wouldnt have went if he wasnt planning on being a fairly high draft pick. He is physically ready so i dont see why he wouldnt go? I would get the hell out of College station in a hurry. New coach or not they are not better than a 4th place team in the big 12

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Interesting....:thinking:

I already know what he's going to do anyways, so you all will just have to wait to hear it in the news if he does in fact declare.

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

I already know what he's going to do anyways, so you all will just have to wait to hear it in the news if he does in fact declare.

hmm...declare and not sign with an agent?

coach
01-03-2008, 04:53 PM

damn you i asked you a few weeks back about him and j train and you wouldn't tell me lol but i respect your decision to keep his choice confidential.....

iknoweverything
01-03-2008, 05:04 PM

God what are we going to do???? We will all lose massive amounts of sleep now.

Panther One
01-03-2008, 05:18 PM
The best thing about Bennett's game is his blocking ability. Yeah he's got great size and is extremely athletic, but what sets him apart from Jermichael Finley and other hybrid type tight ends is his ability to also line up tight and man handle a DE. His blocking often goes unnoticed by fans, but that, in my opinion, is his best attribute. When you've got an outstanding blocking TE that you can split out and create mismatches with in the passing game, you're looking at a definite 1st or 2nd rounder who will be starting on Sundays.

He probably could have been better utilized at A&M, but you can say that for a lot of A&M's players. Bennett, however, still lead the team in receptions and receiving yards, so it's not like he was completely ignored. He was probably the centerpiece of our inept passing offense. It's too bad he's leaving, because Sherman would get him the ball next year. Owen Daniels was second on the Texans in receptions this year, so one can only dream of how Bennett might have been utilized next year.

Never seeing Bennett's full potential put to use in college is just another of Fran's great achievements in Aggieland. Despite what knownothing says, there's enough talent at A&M to challenge for the Big XII next year. Starting next season, the players won't have to overcome their coaches' shortcomings to win games.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2008, 05:18 PM

No, I'm Gary. See, you don't know everything after all. ;)

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM

:thinking: you remind me a lot of "the football god"

Sweetwater Red
01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
:thinking: you remind me a lot of "the football god"

Yep, without the book.:thinking:

..and kof96 is no longer listed as a member.

Adidas410s
01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by coach
damn you i asked you a few weeks back about him and j train and you wouldn't tell me lol but i respect your decision to keep his choice confidential.....
Lane isn't going anywhere. He wouldn't get drafted in the first 4 rounds if he went pro right now.

Phil C
01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Martullus is going to come back his senior year. Trust me on this one.

iknoweverything
01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
No, I'm Gary. See, you don't know everything after all. ;)

Lol i guess so

Phil C
01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
As great a passer as he is I am surprised McGee isn't going for the draft. He was a great passer in high school. I know. I saw him.

Daddy D 11
01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Despite what knownothing says, there's enough talent at A&M to challenge for the Big XII next year. Starting next season, the players won't have to overcome their coaches' shortcomings to win games.

now that is a very true statement, every little bit of it:)

Emerson1
01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
As great a passer as he is I am surprised McGee isn't going for the draft. He was a great passer in high school. I know. I saw him.
Why aren't you surprised Jordan Shipley is staying for his senior year?

big daddy russ
01-03-2008, 10:15 PM
As of right now, Bennett's the number one TE prospect in the nation for any class.

Adidas410s
01-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Martullus is going to come back his senior year. Trust me on this one.
sorry Phil...

January 04, 2008
Bennett to announce his decision Saturday
A week after Texas A&M suffered a disheartening defeat to Penn State in the Alamo Bowl, star junior tight end Martellus Bennett is set to announce on his future at A&M on Saturday at noon.

Bennett, a 6-foot-7, 255 product of Alief Taylor, is likely to announce he will not return for his senior season and will declare for April's NFL Draft during an event at his home Saturday. He is definitely a first-day player and could improve his stock to the first round with a strong performance during the NFL Combine and other workouts over the next a couple months.

Bennett, who was the No.1 Texas recruit when he signed with A&M in 2005, has had an up-and-down three-year career primarily because of offensive identity issues under former coach Dennis Franchione and his staff. Bennett was billed as matchup nightmare for opposing defenses because his size made him difficult for defensive backs to cover and his speed and athletic ability made it impossible for slower linebackers to keep up with him.

But he was often a forgotten weapon in the Aggies' option-oriented attack.

If Bennett does return for his senior season, he will benefit from newly hired coach Mike Sherman's pro-style offense that will take advantage of the tight end. But Bennett, who was the Aggies' leading receiver this season with 49 catches for 587 yards and four touchdowns, may be able to improve his stock more by performing well at the Combine.

In other A&M news, the school has announced Dave Kennedy will join the program as the strength and conditioning coach. He has been billed as one of the top strength and conditioning coaches in the country though his work the last three years at Nebraska may not be indicative of that. But his best work came in 13 years of service at Ohio State (1989-2001).

DDBooger
01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
\

He does not fit into this category. He is ready to go and is a beast. He was very under used with that thing they call a qb in college station you remarked on kansas "who have they played?" in regards to Martellus Bennet, what has he done? sure he's a gifted athlete, NFL is FULL OF EM riding the pine!

DDBooger
01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
As of right now, Bennett's the number one TE prospect in the nation for any class. i'll have to go with USC's TE

DDBooger
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Lane isn't going anywhere. He wouldn't get drafted in the first 4 rounds if he went pro right now. guy needs to drop some LB's. I bet he'd be great at 250-260. guy looks like a pig.

iknoweverything
01-09-2008, 06:48 PM

have to bump this up.. to say this guy is not ready is insane.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=57243

coach
01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
also jarmichael finley declared too if anybody cares

GoStafford
01-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Tellus should of stayed one more year, I think Sherman's "Use what ever personel are best at" way of scheming offenses would of helped him.

Old Tiger
01-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Lane won't be picked in the first 4 or 5 rounds next year.

boudreaux
01-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Let the guy go. He has enough physical size to play. Sure Sherman could teach him the pro way, but he is physically ready to go now. Charles? Id say no. He is another Reggie. Not a TB or an every down back. I give him 50% chance to make it. BUT Emmitt Smith was a lot like him and they said he was too small along with Barry Sanders. And the Aggies will compet well fot the Big 12 South crown and win a bowl game next year. Count on it.

iknoweverything
01-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by GoStafford
Tellus should of stayed one more year, I think Sherman's "Use what ever personel are best at" way of scheming offenses would of helped him.

why would he stay if hes going ot be the first tight end taken??

JR2004
01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
TE's in the NFL are as much of a crapshoot as QB's. There's been plenty of guys just like Bennett and Finley who wind up being spares despite having all the physical attributes that lead teams to draft them thinking they have the next big thing at the position.

If I were a betting man I'd bet neither make a big splash at the pro level. I'm sure it wouldn't shock most folks for some no name from the later rounds to wind up being a surprise and a better player than either of these two down the road.

crabman
01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Everyone has missed the most important part of this situation. The interview I read with him said that he met privately with Coach Sherman and assessed his chances and odds of going high in the draft. Sherman made some calls and checked him out with his contacts in the NFL. Even though it would be in Sherman's best interest to have him back, he recommended he go pro. It is what is best for Tellus and his family. Martellus could not say enough good things about Coach Sherman. He said he was straight and honest.
This gives Sherman instant credibility among recruits. Martellus's cell phone number will be given to every potential recruit A&M has. Encouraging one great player to do what is best for himself is going to pay us back tenfold.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Martellus announced he was going to enter the draft after the Alamo Bowl in the locker room and everyone gave him a huge round of applause. Everyone was very supportive of him and he was very humble about it. He was destined to stand out, it's not in his nature to be second best to anyone.

iknoweverything
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Martellus announced he was going to enter the draft after the Alamo Bowl in the locker room and everyone gave him a huge round of applause. Everyone was very supportive of him and he was very humble about it. He was destined to stand out, it's not in his nature to be second best to anyone.

man crush???

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
man crush???

Nah, Martellus is a good athlete and I always got along with him.

SpeedOption
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Gary is the man.