PDA

View Full Version : Jason Garrett and Tony Sparano...

mchavez
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Both will interview for Atlanta's vacant head coaching position on Friday.

I'm a huge Cowboy fan but this worries me a lot. If the injuries and the lack of focus isn't enough to make me to make me doubt that the Cowboys can compete in the playoffs this will.

How are we suppose to prepare to end our more than decade-long playoff drought, and two of our most vital coaches are concentrating on finding other jobs instead?

Sweetwater Red
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I heard Baltimore is also interested in Garrett.

Macarthur
01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure I would take that Atlanta job if I'm those guys. That is a franchise is a bad place right now.

Garrett is very smart. I think he will only leave DAllas for a very good situation. Jerry will take care of him so I don't think money is his biggest concern.

pirate4state
01-02-2008, 05:14 PM
:(

charlesrixey
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Jason Garrett should and currently is the heir apparent to take over the Cowboys at some point in the next few years

i sure hope jones is able to convince him to stay--that would be a huge loss

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 05:47 PM
even if they do get permission to inteview, most likely the Cowboys will not allow the hires to come from their staff until after the postseason. Ireland wasn't directly related to the product on the field, but Sparano and Garrett are.

piratebg
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Why can't they just focus on the playoffs? :(

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by piratebg

because if either of them want a promotion (or a bigger contract from the Cowboys) they have to interview now. If these guys don't interview now, Atlanta probably fills the position with someone who does interview now.

piratebg
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Garrett has done great his first year as OC, but I'd give him another season or two to solidify himself as one of the top play callers in the league.

mchavez
01-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Same here! I wish they would just focus on the playoffs. They have great talent but they're wasting it by their lack of focus!

STANG RED
01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Garrett has done great his first year as OC, but I'd give him another season or two to solidify himself as one of the top play callers in the league.

Personally, I see Garrett in the same light as the rest of the Cowboys right now. He hasnt impressed me any more than anyone else on that team over the past few weeks. Some of the play calling has been just as bad as some of play on the field imo.
I dont know, maybe I'm just too put out with the whole Cowboys organization right now. They got our hopes up so high, but now all of the sudden they look more like last years team.:mad: :(

piratebg
01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Personally, I see Garrett in the same light as the rest of the Cowboys right now. He hasnt impressed me any more than anyone else on that team over the past few weeks. Some of the play calling has been just as bad as some of play on the field imo.
I dont know, maybe I'm just too put out with the whole Cowboys organization right now. They got our hopes up so high, but now all of the sudden they look more like last years team.:mad: :(

Ever since Dallas defeated Green Bay, the offensive play calling has gone bland. Maybe Garrett wants to keep some tricks up his sleeve for the playoffs. Things looked so much more creative and diverse for the first half of the season that I'm starting to think he doesn't want to give away all of his tricks just yet.

STANG RED
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Ever since Dallas defeated Green Bay, the offensive play calling has gone bland. Maybe Garrett wants to keep some tricks up his sleeve for the playoffs. Things looked so much more creative and diverse for the first half of the season that I'm starting to think he doesn't want to give away all of his tricks just yet.
Maybe your right, and that thought had crossed my mind. I sure hope that's right. If not, the boys are one and done I'm afraid.

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Maybe your right, and that thought had crossed my mind. I sure hope that's right. If not, the boys are one and done I'm afraid.

Romo and Garrett have both said in recent weeks that they were keeping some things in the bag because they didn't want teams to see it when the games were meaningless anyway. That could just be a lie to try to get teams worried about tricks, but I'll buy into it.

JasperDog94
01-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Romo and Garrett have both said in recent weeks that they were keeping some things in the bag because they didn't want teams to see it when the games were meaningless anyway. That could just be a lie to try to get teams worried about tricks, but I'll buy into it. That's what I would say too if my offense looked that bad.

Macarthur
01-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I think it's twofold. They have held back the playbook and gameplan, and the competition has gotten better, too.

The schudule was much tougher due to every game being against a team that was basically playing for their playoff life with 3 of 4 being on the road.

Say what you will, but having everything wrapped up and playing for nothing on the road, and it's tough to win.

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think it's twofold. They have held back the playbook and gameplan, and the competition has gotten better, too.

The schudule was much tougher due to every game being against a team that was basically playing for their playoff life with 3 of 4 being on the road.

Say what you will, but having everything wrapped up and playing for nothing on the road, and it's tough to win.

and they did go 2-2, which is precisely what the Colts did in December of last year too.

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
IMO people have looked WAY to far into the Boy's December record and offensive stats

The Detroit game..Offense not the problem as they score 28

The Philly game they looked bad, no way around that

The Carolina game..400 plus yards for the game, 17 points at half..something tells me if TO stays in they score at least 14 in second half...But the Offense moved the ball at will, and Romo had all day to throw

Washington game..NOTHING to play for...bad weather, basically IMO they mailed this game

Macarthur
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO people have looked WAY to far into the Boy's December record and offensive stats

The Detroit game..Offense not the problem as they score 28

The Philly game they looked bad, no way around that

The Carolina game..400 plus yards for the game, 17 points at half..something tells me if TO stays in they score at least 14 in second half...But the Offense moved the ball at will, and Romo had all day to throw

Washington game..NOTHING to play for...bad weather, basically IMO they mailed this game

Agree 100%. Let's not forget in the Detroit game, Witten fumbles on the 1 yard line going into score or we score 35.

BullsFan
01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
If Garrett is smart and looking at the big picture, I think he stays put for at least a few more years. Not only does that give him more seasoning and coaching experience, it also puts him in a strong position to take over the Cowboys, which has to be attractive to him after all his years wearing a star on his helmet. Not to mention that Dallas is a strong franchise with a lot of money behind it, plus an organization that already knows and likes him, and presumably vice versa. However, if Garrett gets caught up in the moment, listens a little too much to his own press, or gets $$ in his eyes, it's possible he does take a head coaching position somewhere else. Which I think would be a huuuuge mistake. After one year as somewhat high profile coach in a strong franchise with a good QB, he goes somewhere to take a VERY high profile job with a weak franchise and the attending pressure and focus on himself and himself alone? That could put his career on a downward trajectory at the very least.

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
If Garrett is smart and looking at the big picture, I think he stays put for at least a few more years. Not only does that give him more seasoning and coaching experience, it also puts him in a strong position to take over the Cowboys, which has to be attractive to him after all his years wearing a star on his helmet. Not to mention that Dallas is a strong franchise with a lot of money behind it, plus an organization that already knows and likes him, and presumably vice versa. However, if Garrett gets caught up in the moment, listens a little too much to his own press, or gets $$ in his eyes, it's possible he does take a head coaching position somewhere else. Which I think would be a huuuuge mistake. After one year as somewhat high profile coach in a strong franchise with a good QB, he goes somewhere to take a VERY high profile job with a weak franchise and the attending pressure and focus on himself and himself alone? That could put his career on a downward trajectory at the very least.

I disagree..He cannot wait around for the perfect job, because who is to say in 2-3 years the Cowboys O is still scoring a ton of points and his name is still a hot prospect.

TexanFan4Life
01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Sorry if it's already been posted, but I hear either Sparano or Mike Tice is likely to get the Miami HC job. There's also speculation now that Julius Jones may land in Miami this offseason.

BullsFan
01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I disagree..He cannot wait around for the perfect job, because who is to say in 2-3 years the Cowboys O is still scoring a ton of points and his name is still a hot prospect.

I think he does more damage to his career prospects by taking on a head coaching job he's not ready for than sticking with the Cowboys. And if the key players on the Cowboys stick, as I'm assuming most will (TO may be a wildcard), there's no reason to think the Cowboys O won't remain hot.

Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
There's also speculation now that Julius Jones may land in Miami this offseason.

ETA: This news wouldn't bother me one bit. Maybe it'll free up some money so we can get a more consistent RB to back Marion Barber up, which is IMO how it should be.

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I think he does more damage to his career prospects by taking on a head coaching job he's not ready for than sticking with the Cowboys. And if the key players on the Cowboys stick, as I'm assuming most will (TO may be a wildcard), there's no reason to think the Cowboys O won't remain hot.

ETA: This news wouldn't bother me one bit. Maybe it'll free up some money so we can get a more consistent RB to back Marion Barber up, which is IMO how it should be.

But he cannot assume that..only 32 HC jobs in NFL and if you pass up your chance, you cannot guarantee you will get another one.

If he takes a job and flames out, he can rebuild his name back at OC..ala Norv Turner

BullsFan
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
But he cannot assume that..only 32 HC jobs in NFL and if you pass up your chance, you cannot guarantee you will get another one.

If he takes a job and flames out, he can rebuild his name back at OC..ala Norv Turner

But the reverse is also true...if you take a job and flame out, you cannot guarantee you'll get a chance to rebuild. If I'm a GM (and as a teacher, I'm right there LOL), I'd a whole lot rather take a chance on someone who had great success at OC in the beginning but then had things slide then someone who has one successful year at OC then had a spectacular flame-out at the head job. I might just assume that the guy who had the flame-out would never have the chops. I'd also be really iffy about someone who only lasted one year with an OC job before thinking he was ready for the big-time.

And this is probably all colored by the fact that I personally don't think he's ready for the big-time. And I think if he's a smart guy, he knows he's not ready for the big-time yet. He's just too young and inexperienced. JMO, of course, but I would think less of him for not realizing that himself.