PDA

View Full Version : Merril Hoge might have to quit ESPN

Emerson1
01-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I read this on another board. He said on air if the titans made the playoffs, he would resign from ESPN.

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 04:34 PM
this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Macarthur
01-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I wish he would. He's an idiot and a blatant Steeler homer.

Sweetwater Red
01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Just reading his name makes me hear him using "factor back" three
times in one sentence.

trojan37
01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
If they need to get rid of Hoge then college needs to get rid of Craig James. He was a good running back, but mega-sucks as a commentator.

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Is there any video proof that he said this?

jimmyceatworld
01-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Agree.

Why is it that Hoge always seems to be dissing the Titans and especially VY?

BobcatBenny
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
If they need to get rid of Hoge then college needs to get rid of Craig James. He was a good running back, but mega-sucks as a commentator.
You know Craig James lives in Celina don't you?

I've met him a few times, but don't know him. He was nice and pleasant towards me.

His son plays on the team, so I'm suspecting a few of the Celina posters might know him.

Just a heads up, if you didn't know. But you are entitled to say what you think and know.

charlesrixey
01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Craig James is a good commentator, he just works for the wrong network

on the list of ex-players who shouldn't be on tv, his name is no where near the top

c bobcats run
01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Craig James is a good commentator, he just works for the wrong network

on the list of ex-players who shouldn't be on tv, his name is no where near the top

I know we are on College, but that Sharpe brother is bad. I heard better commentary during the Woodson/Motley County 6 man title game while in the deerstand in Breckenridge. He has been hit in the head too much. Might as well let Ali and Frasier call a game.

trojan37
01-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
You know Craig James lives in Celina don't you?

I've met him a few times, but don't know him. He was nice and pleasant towards me.

His son plays on the team, so I'm suspecting a few of the Celina posters might know him.

Just a heads up, if you didn't know. But you are entitled to say what you think and know.

I know Craig James lives in Celina. It's nothing against him personally, and certainly NOTHING to do with his son. I said as a commentator, he sucks. COMM-EN-TA-TOR.

JR2004
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I know Craig James lives in Celina. It's nothing against him personally, and certainly NOTHING to do with his son. I said as a commentator, he sucks. COMM-EN-TA-TOR.

He's not very good as a commentator, but there are others just as bad as he is. He does need to be replaced though. I still can't help but laugh when I heard him go off about a school recently that got in trouble with the NCAA. Can't remember the school he went off about, but it made me laugh to hear him go off considering the school he played for.

trojan37
01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
He's not very good as a commentator, but there are others just as bad as he is. He does need to be replaced though. I still can't help but laugh when I heard him go off about a school recently that got in trouble with the NCAA. Can't remember the school he went off about, but it made me laugh to hear him go off considering the school he played for.

Exactly. The man was one heck of a running back. Some of the stuff he says commentator wise just doesn't make any sense. As stated by someone earlier, Shannon Sharpe really sucks. He needs to learn how to talk, then learn how to commentate.

injuredinmelee
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
if I could pick one commentator to get rid of it would be Suckberger. I was so pissed when i turned on the UT bowl game and he was doing it. I couldnt get the radio broadcast in Midland so i had to do my own c0ommentary with my son.

iknoweverything
01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Hodge has yet to make one false statement about vince young. If you throw 9 td's and 18ints that is horrible. Vy has looked like crap this year and even last year he was so over rated its not even funny.

Rocket Dad
01-02-2008, 07:26 PM
You people amaze me. I hear this and that about Gumbel, Hodge, James as TV guys that are bad. Honestly, I really don't pay that much attention to tell who is and who isn't very good. Try it, just pay attention to the game and tune out the analysts.

Matthew328
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Dumbel is as bad as it gets..

bobcat1
01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
Hodge has yet to make one false statement about vince young. If you throw 9 td's and 18ints that is horrible. Vy has looked like crap this year and even last year he was so over rated its not even funny.

Completely agree. I said the same thing about UnVinceable before he went pro. Great college QB in that system at that time. Going Pro would show the glaring weaknesses he had.

Craig James don't suck. Spent Trojans due. Yea Craig's son was on the field when Celina took it to the Trojans. I think I hear sour grapes. JR2004 hates all that is Celina and everyone knows it is because Celina whooped Madison last year like a red headed step child. Craig James is a good man and I consider him a friend. I guess maybe Networks judge their talent without consulting with tha all knowing Trojan3.7 or Junior2004. I wish I sucked as bad as Craig and banked the money he banks talking about football. Yea sour grapes for sure. :D ;)

trojan37
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Completely agree. I said the same thing about UnVinceable before he went pro. Great college QB in that system at that time. Going Pro would show thw glaring weaknesses.

Craig James don't suck. Spent Trojans due. Yea Craig's son was on the field when Celina took it to the Trojans. I think I hear sour grapes. JR2004 hates all that is Celina and everyone knows it is because Celina whooped Madison last year like a red headed step child. Craig James is a good man and I consider him a friend. I guess maybe Networks judge their talent without consulting with tha all knowing Trojan3.7 or Junior2004. I wish I sucked as bad as Craig and banked the money he banks talking about football. Yea sour grapes for sure. :D ;)

You guys on here really need to pay attention to other posts on here. I never said anything personally about the man himself. And by the way, I gave Celina a lot of respective comments on here when they wiped us out. This has nothing to do with his son either ( as I already stated in this thread.) Personal opinion is that he is not a good commentator. And we got revenge on you in basketball and knocked your #1 ranked girls softball team out of the playoffs last year. The way I see it, we are 2-1 against you guys, so there's no sour grapes at all.:D

Daddy D 11
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
if I could pick one commentator to get rid of it would be Suckberger. I was so pissed when i turned on the UT bowl game and he was doing it. I couldnt get the radio broadcast in Midland so i had to do my own c0ommentary with my son.
could not agree more. he is a complete idiot. him and brian gumbal:mad:

trojan37
01-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
could not agree more. he is a complete idiot. him and brian gumbal:mad:

Watch the idiot comment! Ye shall feel the wrath of the Moderators!:D

Daddy D 11
01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
haha
:tongue:

Daddy D 11
01-02-2008, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobcat1
Completely agree. I said the same thing about UnVinceable before he went pro. Great college QB in that system at that time. Going Pro would show the glaring weaknesses he had.

Craig James don't suck. Spent Trojans due. Yea Craig's son was on the field when Celina took it to the Trojans. I think I hear sour grapes. JR2004 hates all that is Celina and everyone knows it is because Celina whooped Madison last year like a red headed step child. Craig James is a good man and I consider him a friend. I guess maybe Networks judge their talent without consulting with tha all knowing Trojan3.7 or Junior2004. I wish I sucked as bad as Craig and banked the money he banks talking about football. Yea sour grapes for sure. :D ;) [/QUOTE

:confused: huh?

trojan37
01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobcat1

Craig James don't suck. Spent Trojans due. Yea Craig's son was on the field when Celina took it to the Trojans. I think I hear sour grapes. JR2004 hates all that is Celina and everyone knows it is because Celina whooped Madison last year like a red headed step child. Craig James is a good man and I consider him a friend. I guess maybe Networks judge their talent without consulting with tha all knowing Trojan3.7 or Junior2004. I wish I sucked as bad as Craig and banked the money he banks talking about football. Yea sour grapes for sure. :D ;) [/QUOTE

:confused: huh?

Exactly what I thought.

BobcatBenny
01-03-2008, 12:17 AM
I know. Thus I said you were entitled to your opinion. :rolleyes:

It was just info in case you did not know.

injuredinmelee
01-03-2008, 12:22 AM

Wow who paid on ya'lls last date?

Contrary to what several believe everything that happens in the universe is not a direct result of Celina Football.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I think Merril Hoge is very insightful and is in most cases correct. He may be biased, but who isn't. I think the reason most people hate him is because they're in love with Vince Young and he's pointed out the mediocre quarterback that he is. Naturally, people hate being wrong, so instead of admitting they were wrong about VY being the greatest quarterback in the NFL coming out of college, they take it out on Hoge for being right. Deal with it and move on.

eagles_victory
01-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I think Merril Hoge is very insightful and is in most cases correct. He may be biased, but who isn't. I think the reason most people hate him is because they're in love with Vince Young and he's pointed out the mediocre quarterback that he is. Naturally, people hate being wrong, so instead of admitting they were wrong about VY being the greatest quarterback in the NFL coming out of college, they take it out on Hoge for being right. Deal with it and move on. I always hear this on the downlow but I never remember anyone saying Vince was going to be a great NFL QB. I have always wondered who said Vince was going to be the greastest NFL Qb I know it wasnt me and I dont remember too many other people saying it

bandera7
01-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I am a VY fan and I have to agree with you BBDE

bandera7
01-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I always hear this on the downlow but I never remember anyone saying Vince was going to be a great NFL QB. I have always wondered who said Vince was going to be the greastest NFL Qb I know it wasnt me and I dont remember too many other people saying it

I cannot bring you quotes but it was a definite feeling on the board. People were always glorifying what he did this time or what he was capable of or how insanely good he is.

eagles_victory
01-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
I cannot bring you quotes but it was a definite feeling on the board. People were always glorifying what he did this time or what he was capable of or how insanely good he is. People would obviously talk about how good he was in college. Because he was one of the greatest college QBs of all time. But I remember many people saying there would be a definite learning curve for him in the NFL and it would take him a while because he wasnt that polished of a passer.

I think a lot of people get Vince being praised for his great College perfomance confused with what people said about his NFL future

bandera7
01-03-2008, 12:46 AM
yes there were some that said he needed a while, there is no denying that. But I think that was the exception and not the rule. The general rule was he would be incredible.

boudreaux
01-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Vince still doesnt throw very well. He has gotten better mechanically but its just hard to watch him throw. James is fair, Lou is a trip, Mark May pays for the dates with Pete Carroll, Sharpe is bad as is Keyshaun. Bill will be missed. I wonder who they are gonna bring in for his spot. Collinsworth is still trying to make people think he was a better player than he was. Fumble does just that fumble. I think Joe Buck and Troy have become a very good team together.
Yes Craig James is a good guy. I thought he had a place on Cedar Creek Lake? DYK he was SMU's punter also. He was a great athlete. Yeah thats funny HIM talking about cheating. Funny

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
yes there were some that said he needed a while, there is no denying that. But I think that was the exception and not the rule. The general rule was he would be incredible.

You've basically said everything that I was going to, so carry on.

eagles_victory
01-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by boudreaux
Vince still doesnt throw very well. He has gotten better mechanically but its just hard to watch him throw. James is fair, Lou is a trip, Mark May pays for the dates with Pete Carroll, Sharpe is bad as is Keyshaun. Bill will be missed. I wonder who they are gonna bring in for his spot. Collinsworth is still trying to make people think he was a better player than he was. Fumble does just that fumble. I think Joe Buck and Troy have become a very good team together.
Yes Craig James is a good guy. I thought he had a place on Cedar Creek Lake? DYK he was SMU's punter also. He was a great athlete. Yeah thats funny HIM talking about cheating. Funny Fox should hire Josh Lewin who does the Rangers games and works for Fox Saturday baseball and have Josh work with a former player. Josh and Tag are a great broadcasting team for baseball. Josh does radio for the San Diego Chargers and does a great job.

bobcat1
01-03-2008, 06:43 AM
You guys on here really need to pay attention to other posts on here. I never said anything personally about the man himself. And by the way, I gave Celina a lot of respective comments on here when they wiped us out. This has nothing to do with his son either ( as I already stated in this thread.) Personal opinion is that he is not a good commentator. And we got revenge on you in basketball and knocked your #1 ranked girls softball team out of the playoffs last year. The way I see it, we are 2-1 against you guys, so there's no sour grapes at all.:D My opinion is your opinion stinks. :D ;) :clap: :clap: :clap:

bobcat1
01-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Wow who paid on ya'lls last date?

Contrary to what several believe everything that happens in the universe is not a direct result of Celina Football.
You only made that ridiculous statement because I said something about your guy:inlove: in Tennessee from TU. :D :p

injuredinmelee
01-03-2008, 09:04 AM
You only made that ridiculous statement because I said something about your guy:inlove: in Tennessee from TU. :D :p

On the contrary I think Vince sucks in the NFL and should have stayed in school another year. Not that it would have helped much.
But if your interested the fiance tells me she thinks James did a Playgirl layout once.

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Instead of sitting here debating about whether or not Hoge was right about VY, why don't we hold him up to the accountability and make him resign?

People can go on TV all the time and say outlandish things, but if they're not going to be held to it, then what's the point? He said he would resign if the Titans made the playoffs. The Titans are in the playoffs, and therefore he should resign from his post.

JasperDog94
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
People would obviously talk about how good he was in college. Because he was one of the greatest college QBs of all time. But I remember many people saying there would be a definite learning curve for him in the NFL and it would take him a while because he wasnt that polished of a passer.

I think a lot of people get Vince being praised for his great College perfomance confused with what people said about his NFL future Exactly. I don't remember a single person on here (aside for the lovable Phil C) that said VY would take the NFL by storm. No QB does that. Especially with the talent that's around him right now. (Possibly the worst receiving corps in the league.)

Honestly, some of you that accuse others of having a blind love for VY are the ones that have a glaring hate for the man. IMO

Maroon87
01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Back on topic...did Hoge really say this?

Daddy D 11
01-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Honestly, some of you that accuse others of having a blind love for VY are the ones that have a glaring hate for the man. IMO

well said:clap: :clap:

pirate4state
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I think some of you should write to ESPN telling them how you feel!

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I used to work there...it really doesn't do any good...

pirate4state
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I used to work there...it really doesn't do any good... I wasn't serious! LOL

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I wasn't serious! LOL

Oh, I figured as much...but I know a few guys on here that would be tempted to actually try it...so I figured I'd stop the insurgence before it started! ;) :D

Emerson1
01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
On the site I got it from everyone is sending espn emails.

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Emerson, whose nachos are those???

They look disgusting!

Sweetwater Red
01-03-2008, 04:35 PM

They look disgusting!

7-Eleven's?:thinking:

Adidas410s
01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
So is there any actual proof out there that he said it???

Emerson1
01-03-2008, 04:42 PM

They look disgusting!
Texas Stadium

crzyjournalist03
01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
They seriously overcooked that chili then.

Emerson1
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
They seriously overcooked that chili then.
Nah, it was taken with a camera phone

bobcat1
01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
On the contrary I think Vince sucks in the NFL and should have stayed in school another year. Not that it would have helped much.
But if your interested the fiance tells me she thinks James did a Playgirl layout once. The fiance tells you, right........

(You kicked my dog. This is Kerpal.) It is your magazine injured and it's used. Yes you did! Do Not Lie To me. Never lie to me. You know Dam Right! LMAO!:D Kerpal You kicked my dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fIjYnPazc)