PDA

View Full Version : Jamall Charles to enter the NFL Draft

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 03:31 PM
AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas junior running back Jamaal Charles, who rushed for 1,619 yards this season, has decided to leave the Longhorns to enter the NFL draft.

Charles joined Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell and Cedric Benson as the only Longhorns to rush for over 1,500 yards in a season. He had 161 yards and two touchdowns in Texas' Holiday Bowl win over Arizona State. The Longhorns finished 10-3.

His biggest game of the season was a career-high 290 yards in a 28-25 win over Nebraska in which he had 216 yards and three long TDs in the fourth quarter.

Texas also announced Wednesday that assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator Larry Mac Duff, who spent one season on coach Mack Brown's staff, has also decided to leave. Mac Duff joined the Texas staff after spending four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers.

Txbroadcaster
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I think he is leaving a year to early

Maroon87
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
He needs another year in college IMO.

coach
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
He needs another year in college IMO.

i disagree i think he will be a great back in the nfl IF and it is a BIG IF he learns to hold on to the football

piratebg
01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
At the Holiday Bowl they sounded pretty confident that he was staying. I guess he had a change of heart. I wonder who will draft him and how early he will go.

eagles_victory
01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by coach
i disagree i think he will be a great back in the nfl IF and it is a BIG IF he learns to hold on to the football There is no way he is NFL ready imo. I just dont think he is going to be able to take the hits you have to take to be a successful NFL running back. He will never been an everydown back i dont think. I hope Im wrong I just dont see him having much success

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
wouldn't mind the Cowboys taking him as a second round pick to complement Barber once Jones walks this spring.

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
At the Holiday Bowl they sounded pretty confident that he was staying. I guess he had a change of heart. I wonder who will draft him and how early he will go.
He'll likely be a 2nd day pick. Here is what ESPN has on him:

Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas
6-1, 203, 4.35
Charles should be well-served by returning to school for his senior season. The speedster came on strong down the stretch and led the nation in fourth-quarter rushing yards. Another year to improve his bulk and strength could land Charles a spot on the first day of the 2009 draft.

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
wouldn't mind the Cowboys taking him as a second round pick to complement Barber once Jones walks this spring.

I doubt he would go that high. I would look at Felix Jones in the late 1st round for the Cows. He's the next best thing to McFadden in Jerry's eyes! :)

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He'll likely be a 2nd day pick. Here is what ESPN has on him:

[/i]

wow

that can all change before the draft, but that's a little harsh analysis I'd think...he's worth a late first day in my opinion simply from his speed and elusiveness.

Old Tiger
01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
wow

that can all change before the draft, but that's a little harsh analysis I'd think...he's worth a late first day in my opinion simply from his speed and elusiveness. I think he is a great 3rd or 4th round pick up.

Maybe this change of events could lure Darrell Scott the nations top rated runningback to Texas.

Stownhorse
01-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I doubt he would go that high. I would look at Felix Jones in the late 1st round for the Cows. He's the next best thing to McFadden in Jerry's eyes! :)

Do the cowboys really need a 1st round RB pick?

Phil C
01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
This didn't really surprise me. He has done great the last several games and I think he will go first round. If not someone is going to get a steal.

jimmyceatworld
01-02-2008, 03:57 PM
:( most unfortunate for the horns

injuredinmelee
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
He isnt ready and will sit on the bench somewhere for a few years maybe see time as a third down back.

Sweetwater Red
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Too many good RB's in this draft. He'll be a fourth rounder at
best.

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse

need? Probably not...but it would be in the top three right after DB and WR.

eagles_victory
01-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Jamall is a homerun hitter back there. He is a guy who makes huge plays for you, but struggles with consistent running and making 5 or 6 yard gains. Ask Reggie Bush how being a homerun hitter in the NFL is. Even Adrian Peterson to an extent struggled with this when teams were able to prvent AD from busting huge plays at the end of the year he struggled

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 04:10 PM
With the likely departure of Julius Jones as a FA...we need a faster back to split carries with Barber.

Stownhorse
01-02-2008, 04:10 PM
need? Probably not...but it would be in the top three right after DB and WR.

They will make a wiser pick.

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
They will make a wiser pick.

wiser in whose eyes?

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
With the likely departure of Julius Jones as a FA...we need a faster back to split carries with Barber.

I missed your mention of Felix Jones earlier...I've seen a couple of mocks that have him going to the Cowboys.

Macarthur
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
He isnt ready and will sit on the bench somewhere for a few years maybe see time as a third down back.

Man, I'm not a UT fan and I disagree with you horns.

He certainly is not a 20-25 carry a game guy, but he would be nice in a two back system. I'd trade Julius Jones for Charles right now! He would fit in nicely with the Cowboys. Give him 10-12 touches a game.

big daddy russ
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
If he leaves, there's a reason for it. I bet he goes on the first day. The draftniks aren't high on him yet and they probably won't be through the draft, but the same thing happened to Lorenzo Booker last year. Everyone thought he'd be a fifth-, sixth-, or seventh-round pick, maybe even an undrafted FA, but he went in the third.

Charles' speed and the fact that he's learned to go north and south this year will land him on a team somewhere. Guarantee that if he stays in, he'll be no later than a third-rounder. Heck, I'd put him at the end of the second as of this moment. Second round is typically reserved for players who may need a year to develop (unless they're on the line). He puts on a few pounds and learns to run through tackles, he'll be a hell of a back.

charlesrixey
01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If he leaves, there's a reason for it. I bet he goes on the first day. The draftniks aren't high on him yet and they probably won't be through the draft, but the same thing happened to Lorenzo Booker last year. Everyone thought he'd be a fifth-, sixth-, or seventh-round pick, maybe even an undrafted FA, but he went in the third.

Charles' speed and the fact that he's learned to go north and south this year will land him on a team somewhere. Guarantee that if he stays in, he'll be no later than a third-rounder. Heck, I'd put him at the end of the second as of this moment. Second round is typically reserved for players who may need a year to develop (unless they're on the line). He puts on a few pounds and learns to run through tackles, he'll be a hell of a back.

Charles should DEFINATELY stay in school

not for the longhorns, but for himself
people might be whispering stuff in his ear, but he is going to have a lot of competition in the draft and he hasn't shown enough (with only one truly good year) to warrant a 1st or 2nd or even 3rd round pick

if he came back, had another 1,700 yard season and bulked up a little more, he would likely reverse that

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

so I guess you're thinking along my lines that the Cowboys could use him in the second round.

big daddy russ
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
Charles should DEFINATELY stay in school

not for the longhorns, but for himself
people might be whispering stuff in his ear, but he is going to have a lot of competition in the draft and he hasn't shown enough (with only one truly good year) to warrant a 1st or 2nd or even 3rd round pick

if he came back, had another 1,700 yard season and bulked up a little more, he would likely reverse that
He'll likely write the NFL's scouting office to get an accurate gauge of where he stands. Like I said, I see first-day pick, even with all the competition. The only backs that I think are clearly better than Charles are both juniors... McFadden and Jonathan Stewart. If things haven't changed recently, Tashard Choice is still the top senior, and Charles can do more than Choice. Like I said, the only thing he lacks is the ability to run through tackles.

Macarthur
01-02-2008, 05:51 PM
If he runs in the 4.3s at the combine, I could see him being at least a 3rd rounder and could slip into the 2nd if he runs better.

piratebg
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
He originally said he wouldn't enter the draft until he was certain he'd be a first round pick. As much as I like him, I don't think he goes until the second round.

Stownhorse
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
wiser in whose eyes?

Any Cowboy fan that thinks Barber is good enough, and their is no need for a 2 back system....

piratebg
01-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Any Cowboy fan that thinks Barber is good enough, and their is no need for a 2 back system....

Only an idiot would think that. :rolleyes:

King_LeYoeNidas
01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Well......from what I was just told by a guy who hangs out w/ Billy Pittman every day, Cosby, Finley and...umm......damn I forget who the third guy is....will also declare themselves eligible as well.

piratebg
01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
Well......from what I was just told by a guy who hangs out w/ Billy Pittman every day, Cosby, Finley and...umm......damn I forget who the third guy is....will also declare themselves eligible as well.

Sweed?

King_LeYoeNidas
01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Sweed?

Sweed is definate. It was another guy. I can't remember and I'm scanning my brain.....I'd ask him but he already left for the day.

Stownhorse
01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Only an idiot would think that. :rolleyes:

Haha I laugh at people who get off on putting others down.

piratebg
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Haha I laugh at people who get off on putting others down.

Marion Barber is an awesome running back but his running style takes a lot out of him. He's been part of a two back system since college. He can't carry the load alone.

And I don't get off on putting other down idiot. :p

TMer25
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks to Charles leaving, Texas has apparently jumped to the top of Darrell Scott's list of schools.

eagles_victory
01-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Well......from what I was just told by a guy who hangs out w/ Billy Pittman every day, Cosby, Finley and...umm......damn I forget who the third guy is....will also declare themselves eligible as well. Talked to a few Mart people and from what I've heard Quan will definitly be back at UT next fall

setxsports
01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
He's from SE Texas and i spoke with his uncle last week and his uncle said he wanted to go Pro.

King_LeYoeNidas
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Talked to a few Mart people and from what I've heard Quan will definitly be back at UT next fall

the guy I work with knows and hangs out with Pittman and the rest...I'll take his direct source over the townfolk. For the record, the 3rd guy was Charles.

TexanAlum_06
01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
This is totally off the jamal charles subject but here goes.... What do you think the chances are of Texas landing DC Ron English from Michigan? has he signed his contract yet with Louisville? If he hasnt I would hope Mack would atleast give him a call, I think he would be a great hire.

Old Tiger
01-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
This is totally off the jamal charles subject but here goes.... What do you think the chances are of Texas landing DC Ron English from Michigan? has he signed his contract yet with Louisville? If he hasnt I would hope Mack would atleast give him a call, I think he would be a great hire. I'm hearing Auburn DC Muschamp.

Emerson1
01-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I'm hearing Auburn DC Muschamp.
You try to make yourself sound to "in the know"

eagles_victory
01-07-2008, 12:50 AM
the guy I work with knows and hangs out with Pittman and the rest...I'll take his direct source over the townfolk. For the record, the 3rd guy was Charles. not exactly townfolk its a guy who was on Quans state championship team in Mart in 99 and played for Baylor and the Baltimore Ravens. He said he hung out with Quan this weekend and Quan is unsure if he will go or not but Finley is suppose to be going for sure.

TexanFan4Life
01-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
not exactly townfolk its a guy who was on Quans state championship team in Mart in 99 and played for Baylor and the Baltimore Ravens. He said he hung out with Quan this weekend and Quan is unsure if he will go or not but Finley is suppose to be going for sure.

I think Finley is going to be known as one of the NFL's best TE's in a few years. Just a gut feeling.