PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Hockey

boudreaux
01-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Pretty cool. Snowing hard at Buffalo.

Pens, Sabres battle outside in Winter Classic
(Sports Network) - The NHL will brave the elements this afternoon, as the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres meet for an outdoor battle at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The forecast in Buffalo is calling for snow and the temperature is expected to be in the mid to low 30s. Wind gusts could also reach 40 miles per hour and that will help to make the air even colder.

Still, the weather isn't expected to be enough to keep the NHL from breaking an attendance record, as over 73,000 fans are expected to pack Ralph Wilson Stadium to watch hockey on a field that usually serves as home to the NFL's Buffalo Bills.

What is being dubbed as "The Winter Classic" is the first-ever NHL regular season game played outdoors in the United States. It's also the first time the league is staging an outdoor contest since Montreal played in Edmonton on November 22, 2003.

The Penguins have two players on their current roster (Ty Conklin and Georges Laraque) who were members of the Edmonton Oilers when they hosted the Canadiens at Commonwealth Stadium over four years ago.

Meanwhile, Ryan Miller of the Sabres and Pittsburgh's Adam Hall were teammates for Michigan State when the school battled Michigan in an outdoor game at Spartan Stadium. That contest holds the record for the largest attendance ever for a hockey game as the game was witnessed by 74,544 fans.

Today's test also marks the end of a home-and-home series between the Pens and Sabres, as Pittsburgh defeated visiting Buffalo this past Saturday at Mellon Arena.

Conklin stopped all 26 shots fired his way to record the third shutout of his career, as the Penguins blanked Buffalo, 2-0, in the first meeting between the clubs this season.

It was Conklin's first shutout since he blanked Chicago on January 3, 2006, while a member of the Oilers.

Colby Armstrong collected a goal and an assist for the Penguins, who have won three straight and four of five overall. Sidney Crosby added two assists.

The victory proved costly for the Penguins, who lost forward Gary Roberts to a broken left leg in the second period. The injury occurred after Roberts got tangled up with Buffalo's Tim Connolly in the left circle and both landed awkwardly. The Penguins are uncertain how long Roberts will be out.

Miller allowed one goal on 24 shots for Buffalo, which has followed up a six- game winning streak with three straight losses.

Saturday's win over the Sabres marked the first meeting between Buffalo and the Pens this season. Pittsburgh has won three of the last four matchups in the series.

Emerson1
01-01-2008, 02:14 PM
When is it?

boudreaux
01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Its on NBC right now. 1-0 Pittsburg starting the 2nd period.

zebrablue2
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
now that is the way hockey should be played, in the great outdoors.

Phil C
01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I like hockey.

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I like hockey.

I do too.

That was a great display of a great game yesterday. Perhaps this will help hockey gain a new group of fans that otherwise wouldn't go.

Out of every sporting event I've ever been to, a hockey game has by far the best in-house presentation.

Sweetwater Red
01-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I do too.

That was a great display of a great game yesterday. Perhaps this will help hockey gain a new group of fans that otherwise wouldn't go.

Out of every sporting event I've ever been to, a hockey game has by far the best in-house presentation.

Great Idea, just scheduled at a bad time. I say do it again with
in Detroit and the Red Wings vs. whoever.

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Great Idea, just scheduled at a bad time. I say do it again with
in Detroit and the Red Wings vs. whoever.

I thought the time was great...I've heard and talked to quite a few diehard football fans who admitted to being glued to the hockey game for "some weird reason" when they had plenty of football action to check out...I'm really interested to see the ratings of the game.

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Ratings were the highest that the NHL has had in more than a decade, eclipsing Wayne Gretzky's final game in 1999!!!