PDA

View Full Version : Orangefield

Old Cardinal
07-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Orangefield returns a fine group of ball players; including John Modica, by far the best and most experienced Quarterback to start the 21-3A season. He has two 1000+ yard passing seasons, under his belt. Yes, they will miss Suaceda, Williams, Derr, and a number of others... This fall they will be strong--the following season will not be as strong, unless some youngesters really develop. I pick them third, behind a poised and loaded Hamshire-Fannett team, that can beat a lot of good teams, on a muddy night in SE Texas. OF has proven to be a little more consistent tha H-F, Anahuac, or Hardin. Coach Flanigan seem to always get the most out of the talent base that is available.

Bobkat
07-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks Old Card for the kind words. We should be in the running again this year for one of those playoff spots. We will miss Sauceda's speed, but we have a couple of shifty/quick backs that can make people miss. Modica is a three year starter at QB and has a couple of good targets to throw to in WR Austin Farias and TE Paul Mansfield. The offensive line should be solid with tackles Blake Shute(6-5,235) and Ian Skelton(6-2,220) returning on the edges. There will be a new fullback this season in Jordan Allen. He's listed at 6-0,210...but he looks like a guard back there and he's closer to 240 than 210.
On defense, the defensive line will be the strong point. Tyler Knox(6-0,220) will anchor the line. He was all over the field last year. If the Cats can find help at linebacker and safety, another playoff run could be possible. Can't wait to get things started.

exbccards76'smom
07-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Hey Old Cardinal,

How about Bridge City? Who do you think will step up to play quarterback? Didn't Ben Myers play backup some last year? I am ready for some football!! :D

Old Cardinal
07-02-2003, 10:48 AM
To excardMom: I think the preseason and District race will be quite interesting....On Quarterback, there are four excellent prospects. If they want to spread and pass, that big Sophamore, Broc Haymon, is the best I have seen, for his age. He will definately go to a Division I College, in several year as a premiere passer. Yes, B.J. Myers(Junior) can pass and run very well, and did you see him propel the third team against Barbers Hill and Elgin,in the last Quarter of play, last year? Then there is those two good fast skilled athletes Hunter Hays(Junior) and Stephen Broussard(Senior) that can QB.... I really think you will see two different Offenses experimented with during the first half of the season-an option running team and a spread passing attack!...If I were the Offensive Coach, I would run from a Wishbone, with Lapeyrolerie and Hayes alternating at Fullback and Broussard and Myers sharing time at option QB. Since Michael Gauthier was just .06 sec off winning the State HS 100m and Big Jon Landry(Junior) can sometimes beat him on the 100m, that will be the halfbacks. I would run the offside come-around deep pitchout off the wishbone option and just forget about, more or less, the big inexperienced young offensive line for a while. Those two being the fastest two in the State will break a few big ones, because of their determination....All District Luke Lyons at center can again blow some holes for Lapeyrolerie and Hayes up the middle, to keep the defense honest...Then there is that Undefeated 9th grade that are now Soph's, that absolutely totally dominated everyone- that will be looking for starting positions...The rebuilding will be on the defense since we graduated a strong Senior class. I look for some mistakes that will hurt them during the first half of the season, but they will be a good squad by Postseason play. The Fortune Tellers have completely written them off, as usual, but there is a good chance they will be playing Jasper for the Region III title again this year. With the program in place as it is, the following two seasons, after this one, they should be a viable State contender.

<small>[ July 02, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Matthew328
07-02-2003, 02:01 PM
This fortune teller thinks Bridge City will go 8-2 in the regular season....and will get to Round 2 of the playoffs losing to Navasota..

Old Cardinal
07-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Have you ever seen them or Jasper play Matt?

Matthew328
07-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Who is them? If you are referring to BC or Jasper...yes not in person but on film....Navasota, nope haven't had the chance to watch them quite yet....at least not last year....seen film of em from 2001..when they were 0-10

<small>[ July 02, 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
07-02-2003, 07:00 PM
Yes, I was lucky enough to be present for both of those great games. My biggest hope for this year is that BCISD will purchase our boys their own artificial turf shoes. We had to borrow some last year from West Orange.

READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!
:D :D