View Full Version : Cowboys' Ireland to interview for Dolphins' GM job

kepdawg
12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Dallas Cowboys' scouting chief could be next Miami GM

Source: Dolphins to interview Jeff Ireland on Tuesday

01:39 PM CST on Monday, December 31, 2007

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Jeff Ireland could be joining Bill Parcells in Miami.

According to a source, Ireland will interview Tuesday for the Dolphins' general manager job – a day after the Dolphins received permission from the Dallas Cowboys to speak with Ireland.

Once Parcells was named Miami's executive vice president of football operations, Ireland's name was linked to the former Cowboys' coach. The two formed a tight bond during Parcells' time in Dallas, and he was instrumental in Ireland taking over for Larry Lacewell as the Cowboys' vice president of college and pro scouting.

Ireland is in the last year of his contract, but he could leave immediately if he received a "final say" promotion. The Cowboys could contend Ireland would not have such power in an organization with Parcells, although Parcells has said Ireland's role would be more of an "owner's designee."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell could be called in if there is a dispute over titles should talks with Ireland lead to an offer.

Ireland joined the Cowboys in 2001 as a national scout after spending four years in Kansas City as an area scout. When Lacewell retired, Ireland took over the college and pro scouting departments.

His first draft inn 2005 netted Pro Bowlers DeMarcus Ware and Marion Barber, as well as four other heavy contributors – Marcus Spears, Kevin Burnett, Chris Canty and Jay Ratliff.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/010108dnspocowbriefs.6dea8842.html)

SWMustang
12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
since they've worked together before, I guess he knows what he's getting himself into. I can't imagine working for Bill Parcells is a lot of fun, but who knows.

piratebg
12-31-2007, 03:43 PM
This was probably gonna happen anyway. ESPN or NFL Network had been talking about this since the rumors of Bill headed to Miami first surfaced.

Macarthur
12-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Hope it doesn't happen. I wish the Tuna would take Roy Williams with him.

Phil C
12-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Too bad he didn't have a little more time on his contract then we could have maybe got their No. 1 Draft like some pro teams like to do. :)

piratebg
01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
And he's out the door and gone to Miami. :(

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Dallas Cowboys lose Jeff Ireland to Dolphins

Team's head of scouting will be GM in Miami

04:36 PM CST on Wednesday, January 2, 2008
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Jeff Ireland is leaving for Miami to become the Dolphins' new general manager.

The move is effective immediately and the Dallas Cowboys will receive no compensation for Ireland's departure.

Ireland, who held the vice president of college and pro scouting title, will be reunited with Bill Parcells, the former Cowboys coach, who is the Dolphins' executive VP of football operations. Once Parcells took the Miami job, Ireland was immediately linked to South Florida.

He met with Parcells and owner Wayne Huizenga over the last two days and accepted the position Wednesday.

"I am excited about joining the Dolphins as their general manager," Ireland said in a release from Miami. "I know the great tradition of the team, and in my mind they are one of the flagship franchises in the NFL. They have a great owner in Wayne Huizenga, who I know is committed to making the Dolphins into winners once again. I am looking forward to working with him and everyone else in Miami to achieve that goal.

"I also want to thank Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys organization. I enjoyed my tenure with the team, and I would not be where I am today without the help of so many people there."

Last week, Jones said he would have liked the benefit of having Ireland, who was in the final year of his deal, possibly stay through the draft. But because Ireland has "final say" authority, he was free to leave immediately.

DMN file
Jeff Ireland joined the Dallas Cowboys in 2001. Ireland's departure could also impact the Cowboys' coaching staff. Should he and Parcells decide to remove coach Cam Cameron, then Dallas assistant head coach Tony Sparano would be one of the top candidates in Miami.

Sparano is scheduled to interview for Atlanta's vacancy on Friday, as is offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

As for possible replacements for Ireland, Tom Ciskowski, the team's assistant director of college scouting the last seven years, would be the top in-house candidate. Ciskowski has been with the Cowboys since 1992.

Ireland joined the Cowboys in 2001 as a national scout after spending four years in Kansas City as an area scout. When Larry Lacewell retired, Ireland took over the college and pro scouting departments.

wildstangs
01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Didn't know Ireland was from Abilene.

wyliegrad04
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Didn't know Ireland was from Abilene.

he played for Cooper in the 80s and then at Baylor ... kicker