PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma DT sent home after shoplifting arrest

kepdawg
12-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Oklahoma DT DeMarcus Granger sent home after shoplifting arrest

Former Kimball standout won't play for Sooners in Fiesta Bowl

12:24 PM CST on Monday, December 31, 2007

Associated Press

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Oklahoma starting defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger will miss the Fiesta Bowl after being sent home from Arizona following an arrest for shoplifting.

Granger, 21, was arrested Saturday in Tempe after he tried to steal a jacket from the Burlington Coat Factory inside Arizona Mills Mall, Tempe police reported.

"Mr. Granger removed an anti-theft device from a jacket and then concealed the jacket in a bag. He exited the store walking past the cash registers without paying for the jacket," Mike Horn, a spokesman for the Tempe Police Department, said in a statement.

Granger admitted committing the offense and was booked into the Tempe City Jail on one count of shoplifting, Horn said. He later bonded out of jail.

A 307-pound run stuffer, Granger had recorded 35 tackles to tie for the most among the Sooners' defensive linemen. He also had 3½ sacks among his 8½ tackles for loss this season.

"DeMarcus Granger was sent home yesterday, will not play and we'll deal with the situation when we get back," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said Monday during a media day at University of Phoenix Stadium. "If there's anything further, we'll see."

Granger had started 11 of 13 games for this season, but No. 3 Oklahoma (11-2) does have some experienced depth at the position to help fill in against the potent rushing attack of No. 11 West Virginia (10-2) on Wednesday.

"We just go with the other guys. Gerald McCoy, Steven Coleman, Cory Bennett, those guys have all been solid. Adrian Taylor will get more snaps," Stoops said. "All of those guys have played through the season for us, so it doesn't change anything we're doing."

Granger came to Oklahoma as a highly rated recruit from Kimball High School in Dallas before redshirting in 2005. He played as a reserve last season, but emerged from fall camp as the starter alongside McCoy.

"It's a big loss. He's a key to stopping things up front," said defensive end Auston English, who led the Big 12 with 91/2 sacks this season. "He's a great motivator for us. He makes big plays up the middle. His presence out there, somebody will have to step up and make up for it."

With a pair of 1,000-yard rushers in quarterback Pat White and running back Steve Slaton leading the way, West Virginia has the No. 4 run game in the country with a 293-yard average. Granger could have been a key to slowing the Mountaineers.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/010107dnspoougranger.2fc54f.html)

Emerson1
12-31-2007, 01:32 PM
D/A. Why didn't he just get his free stuff from a booster like Peterson and Bomar?

kaorder1999
12-31-2007, 01:32 PM
ouch

3afan
12-31-2007, 01:38 PM
moron .....

runthequarter
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Idiot. Ok a list of suspensions for bowl games?

FSU 20
Fresno State 8
Texas Tech 2
Oklahoma 1

Who else?
Maybe the old Orange Bowl could sponsor an All-Star game. The Suspension Bowl. All the kids who didnt get to go to a bowl game can play here. Ads by the Dade County Police Department.

JasperDog94
12-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
D/A. Why didn't he just get his free stuff from a booster like Peterson and Bomar? :doh: ;)

alaskacat
12-31-2007, 03:43 PM
I thought on the news last night that FSU had 36 suspended.

never did say for what.

eagles_victory
12-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
I thought on the news last night that FSU had 36 suspended.

never did say for what. huge cheating scandal

piratebg
12-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Why do all of these college athletes do stupid stuff like this when they know it's gonna make national news?

zebrablue2
12-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
moron .....

agreed.

DDBooger
12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by runthequarter

FSU 20
Fresno State 8
Texas Tech 2
Oklahoma 1

Who else?
Maybe the old Orange Bowl could sponsor an All-Star game. The Suspension Bowl. All the kids who didnt get to go to a bowl game can play here. Ads by the Dade County Police Department. 1 aggie yell leader:D

Old Tiger
12-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
1 aggie yell leader:D haha

runthequarter
12-31-2007, 06:11 PM

FSU 20? 36?
Fresno State 8
Texas Tech 2
Oklahoma 1
Texas A and M 1

Ok who else

FSU 20? 36?
Fresno State 8
Texas Tech 2
Oklahoma 1
Texas A and M 1

Emerson1
12-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Tennessee had 5

eagles_victory
12-31-2007, 06:23 PM
FSU 20? 36?
Fresno State 8
Texas Tech 2
Oklahoma 1
Texas A and M 1 Ohio State with 2 even though 1 might end up playing. Michigan St. had 5 missing and one being their best pass rusher. California had Desean Jackson and 2 others miss some time today due to disiplinary sp? action

runthequarter
12-31-2007, 06:27 PM
FSU 20? 36?
Fresno State 8
Tennessee 5
Michigan State 5
California (3)
Texas Tech 2
OSU 2
Oklahoma 1
Texas A and M 1

charlesrixey
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
:eek:

wow these guys do some not smart things!

g$$
01-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
haha

You are sad, & to have Taylor Swift as your pic sig speaks volumes. Bored much?

Phil C
01-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I hardly think it was fair to suspend the player for the game because of one little slipup. I think a good stern talking too by the coach and the judge would have set matters right and scared him straight.

Emerson1
01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You are sad, & to have Taylor Swift as your pic sig speaks volumes. Bored much?
You want him to stay away from you, but then you make post like this harassing him trying to get him into an argument with you.

LH Panther Mom
01-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I hardly think it was fair to suspend the player for the game because of one little slipup. I think a good stern talking too by the coach and the judge would have set matters right and scared him straight.
:doh: :doh: Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree here. They are called "TEAM RULES" and "LAWS" for a reason.

boudreaux
01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree here. They are called "TEAM RULES" and "LAWS" for a reason.

I agree. What a bunch of morons.