PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas Basketball is OVERRATED and has been for Years!!

TexanFan4Life
12-29-2007, 07:14 PM
I am making this thread in response to zebrablue2's post in the thread about A&M mens' BB about Texas losing to Wisconsin today. Well, here are my thoughts.

The Longhorn basketball team has a Head Coach that doesn't know how to handle a team with tons of Blue Chip talent. He had All-Everything Kevin Durant last season and couldn't get deep into the tournament. So far this season Rick Barnes's team has beaten 3 Top 10 teams, early in the season when teams are still working on things like chemistry and cohesiveness...so I'm hardly impressed, then turned around and guided his team to losses to ranked opponent Michigan State and unranked opponent Wisconsin.

I'm not saying the Texas basketball team is BAD, but I AM saying that it's ridiculous that they keep underachieving and falling short of expectations year after year.

I have a feeling there are more than a few that disagree with me on this board and I'm interested to see what all of you have to say about my opinion.

Antec
12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Its very hard to go undefeated in college ball

Any team can beat another on any given night. No matter if game is at home or on the road.

Its that way on all levels

Basketball is more mental etc

Even the Horns losing doesnt make them a weak team.

Emerson1
12-29-2007, 07:21 PM
You are so negative.

TexanFan4Life
12-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Its very hard to go undefeated in college ball

Any team can beat another on any given night. No matter if game is at home or on the road.

Its that way on all levels

Basketball is more mental etc

Even the Horns losing doesnt make them a weak team.

I never called them weak and nobody's expecting them to go undefeated. I have a problem with them consistently falling short of expectations and losing close game after close game every year to teams everyone thinks they should beat. I'm just saying they're not as great of a team as polls, media etc. give them credit for.

eagles_victory
12-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
I am making this thread in response to zebrablue2's post in the thread about A&M mens' BB about Texas losing to Wisconsin today. Well, here are my thoughts.

The Longhorn basketball team has a Head Coach that doesn't know how to handle a team with tons of Blue Chip talent. He had All-Everything Kevin Durant last season and couldn't get deep into the tournament. So far this season Rick Barnes's team has beaten 3 Top 10 teams, early in the season when teams are still working on things like chemistry and cohesiveness...so I'm hardly impressed, then turned around and guided his team to losses to ranked opponent Michigan State and unranked opponent Wisconsin.

I'm not saying the Texas basketball team is BAD, but I AM saying that it's ridiculous that they keep underachieving and falling short of expectations year after year.

I have a feeling there are more than a few that disagree with me on this board and I'm interested to see what all of you have to say about my opinion. well heres someone who doesnt know much college basketball

TexanFan4Life
12-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
well heres someone who doesnt know much college basketball

Please support with facts instead of coming back with a junior high cafeteria insult.

TexanFan4Life
12-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Come on e_v. You were on such a roll. Come back with an intelligent argument and I'll be happy to discuss UT basketball with you.

eagles_victory
12-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Last year they were a team full of freshman and one sophmore. They had 4 freshman and 1 sophmore. The fab 5 is the only team to every make a run in the tournament with numbers like that and that team had 3 future NBA stars (paid them to play also).

Plus last year they had no inside presence and still dont this year. Durant and Damien James had to get all the rebounds and Durant is crack head skinny and got pushed around inside and James is more of a small foward teener. They had noone who could score the ball inside. Plus when you go into the NCAA tournament as a 4 seed and lose out in the 2nd round I wouldnt call it underachieving. ESP when you play a 5 seed in the second round a 4 and a 5 seed is pretty much the most even second round matchup as you can possibly get.

This years team is even weaker inside then they were last year. As my boy g$$ said Connor Actually is toilet paper soft inside. And when in college basketball you rely on guard play and outside shooting as your soul form of offense there are going to be some days were your just not on like today. Also factor in that the guys have been gone for Christmas and havent been in the gym much it can cause some shooting problems. Plus there 2 losses are against Michigan St and Wisconsin two huge physical pound you on the board Big Ten teams. This is the exact kind of team that will give Texas fits because they have no big strong power rebounders to compete with the big strong power rebounders that those massive Big Ten cornfed boys

TexanFan4Life
12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Last year they were a team full of freshman and one sophmore. They had 4 freshman and 1 sophmore. The fab 5 is the only team to every make a run in the tournament with numbers like that and that team had 3 future NBA stars (paid them to play also).

Plus last year they had no inside presence and still dont this year. Durant and Damien James had to get all the rebounds and Durant is crack head skinny and got pushed around inside and James is more of a small foward teener. They had noone who could score the ball inside. Plus when you go into the NCAA tournament as a 4 seed and lose out in the 2nd round I wouldnt call it underachieving. ESP when you play a 5 seed in the second round a 4 and a 5 seed is pretty much the most even second round matchup as you can possibly get.

This years team is even weaker inside then they were last year. As my boy g$$ said Connor Actually is toilet paper soft inside. And when in college basketball you rely on guard play and outside shooting as your soul form of offense there are going to be some days were your just not on like today. Also factor in that the guys have been gone for Christmas and havent been in the gym much it can cause some shooting problems. Plus there 2 losses are against Michigan St and Wisconsin two huge physical pound you on the board Big Ten teams. This is the exact kind of team that will give Texas fits because they have no big strong power rebounders to compete with the big strong power rebounders that those massive Big Ten cornfed boys

With all you just typed, I would still call it underachieving. The expectations surrounding this program are monumental each and every season..yet Rick Barnes has consistently failed to deliver as Head Coach. He's had his good seasons there, but I call it underachieving when you lose in the 2nd Round of the Tourney and everyone's expecting you to go much deeper. Rick Barnes isn't a good X's and O's coach and the University of Texas isn't this big basketball powerhouse everyone (fans, media, etc.) think they are, for reasons you stated...they don't have a big time rebounding threat and low post presence. Buckman was the closest they ever came to that, but he's gone now.

The fact of the matter is that they've underachieved. It's Rick Barnes's JOB to make sure they have a consistent well-rounded basketball team. He hasn't done that. Yet they're consistently a Top rated preseason team. That eludes me.

Antec
12-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Well you can point the finger at Barnes

he should get his players up for the game

I still think that the mental aspect is a big part

But thats easier said then done

eagles_victory
12-29-2007, 07:44 PM
With all you just typed, I would still call it underachieving. The expectations surrounding this program are monumental each and every season..yet Rick Barnes has consistently failed to deliver as Head Coach. He's had his good seasons there, but I call it underachieving when you lose in the 2nd Round of the Tourney and everyone's expecting you to go much deeper. Rick Barnes isn't a good X's and O's coach and the University of Texas isn't this big basketball powerhouse everyone (fans, media, etc.) think they are, for reasons you stated...they don't have a big time rebounding threat and low post presence. Buckman was the closest they ever came to that, but he's gone now.

The fact of the matter is that they've underachieved. It's Rick Barnes's JOB to make sure they have a consistent well-rounded basketball team. He hasn't done that. Yet they're consistently a Top rated preseason team. That eludes me. That is tough to do with the rate that guys are going into the NBA. PJ Tucker and Aldrige were great rebounders who would of been on last years team but elected to leave early. I think he did a great job last year considering he lost the house the year before.

TexanFan4Life
12-29-2007, 07:49 PM
That is tough to do with the rate that guys are going into the NBA. PJ Tucker and Aldrige were great rebounders who would of been on last years team but elected to leave early. I think he did a great job last year considering he lost the house the year before.

You're right. He did do a good job last year under the circumstances. I see no excuse, however, if he fails to get to the Sweet 16 or beyond this year.

eagles_victory
12-29-2007, 07:52 PM
You're right. He did do a good job last year under the circumstances. I see no excuse, however, if he fails to get to the Sweet 16 or beyond this year. It is always tough to say that because the landscape of college basketball. Everything depends so much on the draw. Sometimes a team comes in as a 7 or 10 seed or something and they just catch fire. But all in all I agree with you they should be in the sweet 16 this year.

Maroon87
12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Dude...they're a very young team still. And the reason they're even thought of as an elite hoops program is BECAUSE of Barnes. They were a novelty act under Suntan Tom.

Losses like the one today will likely pay benefits in March.

Txbroadcaster
12-29-2007, 11:11 PM
so since Barnes has been at UT he has

Took Texas to 4 sweet 16..a final four, two great 8 finishes

8 straight 20 win seasons..a 30 win season 5 seasons of less than 10 losses

Not sure how that is overrated

TexanFan4Life
12-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
so since Barnes has been at UT he has

Took Texas to 4 sweet 16..a final four, two great 8 finishes

8 straight 20 win seasons..a 30 win season 5 seasons of less than 10 losses

Not sure how that is overrated

When you weigh all those accomplishments against the yearly expectations surrounding that program...you come up with words like 'overrated' and 'underachieve'.

When you see how many close games the Longhorns lose to teams they should beat...you get words like 'overrated' and 'underachieve'.

When the AP polls have Texas ranked in the Top 10 or 15 to start the season and the Horns suffer letdown after letdown once they get into the heart of the basketball season...you get words like 'overrated' and 'underachieve'.

kepdawg
12-29-2007, 11:45 PM
I think it's still early in the season and Texas is still working on things like chemistry and cohesiveness so they'll be all right in the end.

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2007, 12:00 AM
When you weigh all those accomplishments against the yearly expectations surrounding that program...you come up with words like 'overrated' and 'underachieve'.

When you see how many close games the Longhorns lose to teams they should beat...you get words like 'overrated' and 'underachieve'.

When the AP polls have Texas ranked in the Top 10 or 15 to start the season and the Horns suffer letdown after letdown once they get into the heart of the basketball season...you get words like 'overrated' and 'underachieve'.

First off texas went into top 10 because they BEAT TWO top ten teams already this year

every year teams lose 2-4 games agianst teams they should beat

what expectations do you keep talking about? You act like Texas begins each year in top 5..usually they begin 10-20 and go from there.

You also act like Texas is tabbed a final four team every year, but they are not. Nor do they have that kind of tradition either.

KTJ
12-30-2007, 12:10 AM

I have a feeling there are more than a few that disagree with me on this board and I'm interested to see what all of you have to say about my opinion.

1. Tell me what the expectations where at the beginning of this year?

2. Tell me what the expectations where for last year?

Once you find out those answers, I'll proceed to get to my point.

TexanFan4Life
12-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
1. Tell me what the expectations where at the beginning of this year?

2. Tell me what the expectations where for last year?

Once you find out those answers, I'll proceed to get to my point.

I know that fan expectations were through the roof. They had Mr. Everything in Kevin Durant, an established head coach, and a young, talented PG. The experience factor wasn't there and they had zero frontcourt presence, but for some reason the expectations were still there for them to do great things, and they didn't live up to them. I can't speak as to what the expectations of Texas' AD were, or those of Rick himself...but the fans were expecting great things. You can get to your point now.

mwynn05
12-30-2007, 12:29 AM
I know that fan expectations were through the roof. They had Mr. Everything in Kevin Durant, an established head coach, and a young, talented PG. The experience factor wasn't there and they had zero frontcourt presence, but for some reason the expectations were still there for them to do great things, and they didn't live up to them. I can't speak as to what the expectations of Texas' AD were, or those of Rick himself...but the fans were expecting great things. You can get to your point now. you know even less about basketball than you do football

eagles_victory
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
you know even less about basketball than you do football Dont know about that he said an NFL game would go into 3 OTs earlier

KTJ
12-30-2007, 03:02 AM
I know that fan expectations were through the roof. They had Mr. Everything in Kevin Durant, an established head coach, and a young, talented PG. The experience factor wasn't there and they had zero frontcourt presence, but for some reason the expectations were still there for them to do great things, and they didn't live up to them. I can't speak as to what the expectations of Texas' AD were, or those of Rick himself...but the fans were expecting great things. You can get to your point now. ty

This reply pretty much tells me you have no freaking clue as to what you're talking about.

Seriously...there wasn't one true statement in that reply at all.

At.

All.

District303aPastPlayer
12-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
ty

This reply pretty much tells me you have no freaking clue as to what you're talking about.

Seriously...there wasn't one true statement in that reply at all.

At.

All.

and with this, KTJ just pwnd you :) btw, he is our local authority on UT sports... so i would shut up now :)

Bull's-eye
12-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Actually, Texas has played much better than I had expected. Losing Durant was a major blow, just like losing Aldridge the season before last. Give Barnes those 2 players back and expectations would be a national championship or least a final 4 team. IMO, Barnes has done a very good job. He just about won a championship, if not for a guy named Carmello Anthony.

Remember, Texas basketball is probably 3rd fiddle behind football & baseball. Barnes has to deal with players that may play 1 or 2 years, yet he has consistantly kept their program in the top 20. Last season, the team was very young and inexperienced. Seeing the improved play of several players, I wonder how good this team would be if Durant stayed one more year. As a fan of Texas athletics, I'm quite happy with Rick Barnes. Looking at the reponses to this thread, seems like most people agree.

3afan
12-30-2007, 12:13 PM
if you look at the W-L record and how far UT has advanced in the post season, I think UT hoops fans are overall quite happy

3 OTs - haha

Jack_Daniels
12-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Expectations are for people outside the athletic department. The point of this thread is to rag on Texas even though they are doing well. I expect this kid of post some time. Im sure there will be others about the basball team if they dont win the national championship. The swim team if they dont win it all. It will always be something. Ok Texas looses Durant 2nd pick in the draft and Aldridge a top pick. Who else has lost that kind of talent? The Horns are doing ok. And the above poster are right. College basketball is different. There is a playoff. Evaluate at the end of the season, they havent even started conference play. This is just another in a long line of rag on someone posts. The Aggies get ragged on too. People who have no clue post drool about a team. Then they say "I dont mean this bad but......." Yeah you do mean it bad. I guess you can say I expect this kind of post to continue by clueless people. Please exceded my expectations. Thanks

jimmyceatworld
12-30-2007, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
[B]

So far this season Rick Barnes's team has beaten 3 Top 10 teams, early in the season when teams are still working on things like chemistry and cohesiveness...so I'm hardly impressed

It's not impressive beating 3 Top 10 teams early in the season because they are working on chemistry and cohesiveness? That's what I like to call a failed attempt to undermine a team's success. Beating 3 Top 10 teams in the course of a season is impressive for almost any team let alone the beginning of the season.

mwynn05
12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
yeah but if they're working on chemistry so is Texas...goes both ways

Bull's-eye
01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Just read where freshman Gary Johnson will start Wednesday for the Longhorns against TCU. Johnson, a 6-7 forward and Parade All-American from Aldine, has missed 13 games due to an unspecified heart condition. Johnson will replace guard Justin Mason, who has struggled in recent games.

Bulldog_12
01-01-2008, 05:05 PM
To say texas has played below expectations this year is just stupid. With absolutely ZERO post presence they beat UCLA with heralded Kevin Love. There weren't any expectations this year. I thought they were gonna be awful. What they are doing is a little more impressive just because of a lack of depth. I do think they will have trouble though if the shots aren't falling or if they meet a team with great perimeter D.

charlesrixey
01-01-2008, 05:48 PM

or perhaps they are just a young, talented team still in training? inconsistencies aren't always a coaches fault

charlesrixey
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I know that fan expectations were through the roof. They had Mr. Everything in Kevin Durant, an established head coach, and a young, talented PG. The experience factor wasn't there and they had zero frontcourt presence, but for some reason the expectations were still there for them to do great things, and they didn't live up to them. I can't speak as to what the expectations of Texas' AD were, or those of Rick himself...but the fans were expecting great things. You can get to your point now.

they had kevin durant and a roster of other freshmen, too

Nobody thought they would do what they did

Phil C
01-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Plus UT has had several players get drafted in the NBA and have had success.

TexanFan4Life
01-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
and with this, KTJ just pwnd you :) btw, he is our local authority on UT sports... so i would shut up now :)

So, he's got a biased opinion? That's all I needed to know. I appreciate that.

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 01:16 AM
So, he's got a biased opinion? That's all I needed to know. I appreciate that.

just leave already...

Dont know about that he said an NFL game would go into 3 OTs earlier

Here's a belated Christmas gift...

NFL Beginner's Guide to Football
(http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball)

TexanFan4Life
01-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
just leave already...

Here's a belated Christmas gift...

NFL Beginner's Guide to Football
(http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball)

We'll see just how far Texas goes this CBB season.

If they get past the Sweet 16 this season, I'll be the first to apologize for making this 'idiotic' thread.

about the 'beginner's guide to football'..... :thumbsup:

Old Tiger
01-02-2008, 01:40 AM

If they get past the Sweet 16 this season, I'll be the first to apologize for making this 'idiotic' thread.

about the 'beginner's guide to football'..... :thumbsup: don't even bother apologizing and do everyone a favor and not come back :)

Adidas410s
01-02-2008, 08:27 AM

I think the consistent theme in this thread is that you're the only one who thinks that "expectations" are for Texas to be a Top 5 team competing for the title every season. Except for the most homer of UT fans, few have put Texas up in the Top 5 during the Rick Barnes era except for 1 or 2 years. Now do I think that Rick Barnes is an elite game day coach??? No...but I don't think that makes the Texas program overrated.

3afan
01-02-2008, 09:26 AM

i think if UT gets to the Sweet 16 it will be considered a successful year given how young the teams is

JasperDog94
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i think if UT gets to the Sweet 16 it will be considered a successful year given how young the teams is Exactly. If making it to the elite 8 is what constitutes not being overrated, then there are a ton of overrated teams out there.

Stownhorse
01-03-2008, 02:50 PM
This thread is LAME!