PDA

View Full Version : Official Question

kepdawg
12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Can an offensive team commit a penalty such as a false start to prevent a play from being reviewed? (The next play has taken place idea)

Who-dun-it!!?
12-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Can an offensive team commit a penalty such as a false start to prevent a play from being reviewed? (The next play has taken place idea)

Good question:thinking:
A false start basically takes place before the snap, and the defense can decline it, so I think it wouldn't work. But then again, I'm not an official, it may work:confused:

g$$
12-28-2007, 08:27 PM
False start should make the play null & void. Pre-snap penalty.

VAMike
12-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Team cannot false start unless the ready for play has been whistled If teh R thinks tehre willbe a IR he is gonna hold the RFP whistle

CenTexSports
12-28-2007, 08:30 PM
VAMike: You must be a lawyer also. You are very good at answering the question not asked. He did not ask a mechanic question, he asked a rule question.

VAMike
12-28-2007, 08:45 PM
If the ready for play is not whistled there cannot be a false start It is impossible BY RULE. Andf the referee will not whistle the ready for play if there is chance of a review. And why does the team even have to false start? If they want to hurry to the line and hope the refe whistles the RFP they can snap and go.

As long as the ball has not been legally put in play, a review is still possible

kepdawg
12-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
If the ready for play is not whistled there cannot be a false start It is impossible BY RULE. Andf the referee will not whistle the ready for play if there is chance of a review. And why does the team even have to false start? If they want to hurry to the line and hope the refe whistles the RFP they can snap and go.

As long as the ball has not been legally put in play, a review is still possible

I asked after TCU false started and then punted. I do not think they intentionally false started to avoid a replay (although the previous play should have been reviewed). The way the guard fired out though it almost made it seem like that may have been what he was doing.

VAMike
12-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Sorry, did not see the play as I am watching the other game.