PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have A Blu-Ray Or HD-DVD Player?

ILS1
12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Thoughts? I just bought a Sony Blu-Ray DVD Player. All I can say is "WOW!!! The picture quality and the sound is amazing!!! Especially when you have a great movie with explosions and shootings like I bought 'Live Free Or Die Hard'. My only complaint that it takes so long for the disc to load once you put into the player. About a minute or so. I'm thinking because there is so much information on that Blu-Ray disc up to 50 gig compared to 4 or 5 gig with a regular DVD. But it's worth the wait. Plus, it plays regular DVD's and upconverts them to 1080p (so it says). Regular DVD's load up fine and do look and sound better in the Blu-Ray Player. Anyone have a HD-DVD player?

:D :D :D

Adidas410s
12-28-2007, 11:52 AM
my PS3 does a pretty good job too!!! :)

Which player did you buy?

ILS1
12-28-2007, 12:17 PM
I bought the Sony BDP-S300 (the cheaper one). I know Sony has another one that's worth about $600 that has an Ethernet port, mine doesn't have it. I've read up on the one I bought, the main complaints were about the movie loading very slowly and it doesn't really play True HD sound. Well, I did some research and Sony came out with a firmware upgrade about a week ago, that you can download from their website which should fix most of the problems. Which I did, it cut the load time from about 3 1/2 minutes (according to CNET.com) to about 1 minute. The sound is just outstanding!!!

ILS1
12-28-2007, 12:19 PM
It's kinda funny because CNET.com says that NONE of these problems affect the PS3!! Why wouldn't they put the same technology in all similar products?? Just makes you scratch your head!!!

:D :D

sahen
12-28-2007, 12:22 PM
i have a ps3 for my bluray player...its pretty awesome too...i hope your as happy w/ ur bluray as i am w/ my ps3

ILS1
12-28-2007, 12:39 PM
I love it!!! I don't know if you have a Fry's where you live but I'd definitely buy my movies from them. I went yesterday to both Circuit City and Best Buy. I bought the 'Live Free Or Die Hard' from Fry's for $27, BB & CC wanted $35 for this movie. Other movies were $5 to $10 higher at both Best Buy and Circuit City.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

iknoweverything
12-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Why wouldnt you just buy a ps3???

ILS1
12-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
Why wouldnt you just buy a ps3???

I'm not a real big gamer, like I used to be. I think I would feel 'obligated' to buy games when I don't really want them or need them. Plus, I wanted a stand alone Blu-Ray player.

iknoweverything
12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I'm not a real big gamer, like I used to be. I think I would feel 'obligated' to buy games when I don't really want them or need them. Plus, I wanted a stand alone Blu-Ray player.

Gotcha... I really wish that Blu Ray would take controll of this hd battle going on. I hate when a movie is on only HD Dvd.

Snyder_TigerFan
12-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm waiting until the combo players (bluray and hddvd) get a little cheaper.

Cameron Crazy
12-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Live Free Or Die Hard is a dang good movie.

crzyjournalist03
12-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I'm waiting until the combo players (bluray and hddvd) get a little cheaper.

Word.

I talked to a saleman at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago and he said that there were three scheduled to be released before Christmas, but they got delayed and should be out within the next month or two which will considerably drop the price.

ILS1
12-28-2007, 03:47 PM
I know some of the newer HD-DVD have 2 sides/formats to them. One side for the HD-DVD and the other for standard DVD. Blu-Rays only have 1 side to them right now. But like what was stated earlier, the BR player will play standard DVD's and Blu-Ray disc. It looks like Blu-Ray is gonna win in a landslide. Already in Europe, Blu-Ray outsells HD-DVD 3 to 1.

Adidas410s
12-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Word.

I talked to a saleman at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago and he said that there were three scheduled to be released before Christmas, but they got delayed and should be out within the next month or two which will considerably drop the price.
I would rate the quality of BB employee info at about the same level as McDonald's employees saying that the McRib is never coming back again...

crzyjournalist03
12-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I would rate the quality of BB employee info at about the same level as McDonald's employees saying that the McRib is never coming back again...

does anybody actually LIKE that thing?

I call it a thing, because it's a rib-shaped meat patty, no rib at all...

Adidas410s
12-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
does anybody actually LIKE that thing?

I call it a thing, because it's a rib-shaped meat patty, no rib at all...

Ehh...it's not too bad once or twice a year...

thewyliefan
12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
i found out yesterday that the blu-ray players that first came out have to get a couple updates to play a couple of the newer movies.

TMer25
12-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
i found out yesterday that the blu-ray players that first came out have to get a couple updates to play a couple of the newer movies.

They will still play the movie. Some of the newer Blu Ray discs are Blu Ray profile 1.1 discs and require players that are 1.1 profile compatible to access all of the special features. Not all players are capable of being updated to profile 1.1 because one of the requirements is an ethernet port for internet connectivity. There is also a yet to be released profile 2.0. The latest PS3 system update made it a 1.1 profile player. Blu Ray won't be a finished product until 2.0 players and discs arrive.

Antec
12-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Going to Fry's in Houston is like a boy walking into a Candy Store

You name they have it and much more
Could spend $10,000 in less than five minutes

thewyliefan
12-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
They will still play the movie. Some of the newer Blu Ray discs are Blu Ray profile 1.1 discs and require players that are 1.1 profile compatible to access all of the special features. Not all players are capable of being updated to profile 1.1 because one of the requirements is an ethernet port for internet connectivity. There is also a yet to be released profile 2.0. The latest PS3 system update made it a 1.1 profile player. Blu Ray won't be a finished product until 2.0 players and discs arrive.

that actually makes alot of sense, thanks

ILS1
12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Some of the newer Blu Ray discs are Blu Ray profile 1.1 discs and require players that are 1.1 profile compatible to access all of the special features. Not all players are capable of being updated to profile 1.1 because one of the requirements is an ethernet port for internet connectivity.

Where would you find this info? Just curious? Thanks.

TMer25
12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Where would you find this info? Just curious? Thanks.

It will say on the back of the discs. I just got a copy of War and it states on back which special features require a 1.1 profile player.

BullsFan
12-29-2007, 01:54 AM
I wish you didn't have to make a choice--I wish that all movies came in both formats. But I suppose, like laserdiscs and DVDs, one format or the other will win out eventually. Judging strictly on the number of movies released, I'd guess that BluRay will probably be the winner. Having the Disney juggernaut alone behind it (not to mention the Harry Potter franchise) will push it toward success.

In the meanwhile, I'll wait until they all come down in price.

lhpantherdad
12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
blue-ray and HD-DVD are too expensive still. And the two are not compatible. There is no way I will invest in either format until the dumb-butts get it thru their head that I'm not playing the VHS vs. Beta game again!

TMer25
12-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I wish you didn't have to make a choice--I wish that all movies came in both formats. But I suppose, like laserdiscs and DVDs, one format or the other will win out eventually. Judging strictly on the number of movies released, I'd guess that BluRay will probably be the winner. Having the Disney juggernaut alone behind it (not to mention the Harry Potter franchise) will push it toward success.

In the meanwhile, I'll wait until they all come down in price.

Harry Potter is available on HD DVD as well. There have been lots of quality control issues with the Blu Ray versions of the movies.

Emerson1
12-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Harry Potter is available on HD DVD as well. There have been lots of quality control issues with the Blu Ray versions of the movies.
I heard about those, especially with alot of Warner Brothers movies.

TMer25
12-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I heard about those, especially with alot of Warner Brothers movies.

Warner Brothers is technically format neutral, but they have released more titles for HD DVD. Such as Batman Begins and The Matrix trilogy

ILS1
12-30-2007, 05:11 PM

TMer25, what kinda player(s) do you have? You have alot of DVD's (HD and Blu-Rays).

TMer25
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
TMer25, what kinda player(s) do you have? You have alot of DVD's (HD and Blu-Rays).

HD-DVD I currently have a Toshiba HD-A35 and the 360 add on and for Blu Ray I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30 and the PS3. The Toshiba and Panasonic players I am using because they are the first to pass the high resolution audio streams, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio to a capable receiver.

Emerson1
12-30-2007, 06:39 PM
HD-DVD I currently have a Toshiba HD-A35 and the 360 add on and for Blu Ray I have a Panasonic DMP-BD30 and the PS3. The Toshiba and Panasonic players I am using because they are the first to pass the high resolution audio streams, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio to a capable receiver.
Post of picture of your tv setup

TMer25
12-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Post of picture of your tv setup

Some HD DVD's and DTheater HD VHS tapes.

TMer25
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Onkyo 905 receiver, PS3, Panasonic DMP-BD30 and my HD-A35

TMer25
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Another rack of HD-DVD's

Emerson1
12-30-2007, 07:07 PM
What is your address?

duckpluck
12-30-2007, 07:20 PM
We got the PS3. Nice with blue ray and you can surf the internet through it as well. All for 399.