PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ford F150 FX2? (non-football)

wyliegrad04
12-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Anyone have any thoughts about this truck? Driving one right now that Arrow Ford has here in Abilene ... thinking about buying it tomorrow.

Anyone have one? Driven one? Good/bad?

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2008/Ford/2008.ford.f-150.20131640-T.jpg

kaorder1999
12-28-2007, 12:01 AM
looks good

pirate4state
12-28-2007, 12:03 AM
that's a good looking truck for a Ford! :p

IHStangFan
12-28-2007, 12:08 AM
its a matter of personal pref. when buying a truck. All of the manufacts. build a decent truck. Fords to me, look nice, their interior is nice, comfy, they ride decent, run decent, etc. The Chevy is also a good looking truck, rides probably better than the rest, runs well, gets decent mileage, etc. The Dodge looks good, but Dodge's gas engines are historically under powered and get crappy mileage. Their interiors don't hold up as well as the rest. The Titan is a tough truck..runs VERY well, comfy, rides nice, but is very thirsty. The Toyota is probably the best build of them all, rides nice, runs REALLY GOOD, gets decent mileage, etc. etc. etc. I have owned every make of truck on the road in America. That is my take on them all. I drive a 2003 F250 crew cab w/ the 6.0L diesel and love it. My advice is to go out and drive them all and make your decision based on what you take away from the test drives.

wyliegrad04
12-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
its a matter of personal pref. when buying a truck. All of the manufacts. build a decent truck. Fords to me, look nice, their interior is nice, comfy, they ride decent, run decent, etc. The Chevy is also a good looking truck, rides probably better than the rest, runs well, gets decent mileage, etc. The Dodge looks good, but Dodge's gas engines are historically under powered and get crappy mileage. Their interiors don't hold up as well as the rest. The Titan is a tough truck..runs VERY well, comfy, rides nice, but is very thirsty. The Toyota is probably the best build of them all, rides nice, runs REALLY GOOD, gets decent mileage, etc. etc. etc. I have owned every make of truck on the road in America. That is my take on them all. I drive a 2003 F250 crew cab w/ the 6.0L diesel and love it. My advice is to go out and drive them all and make your decision based on what you take away from the test drives.

thanks man. I really like this truck. Drove a new Dodge Quad Cab, it was ok ... but nothing compared to this Ford.

Now if I can just get those payments to less than $500, haha.

IHStangFan
12-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
thanks man. I really like this truck. Drove a new Dodge Quad Cab, it was ok ... but nothing compared to this Ford.

Now if I can just get those payments to less than $500, haha. LOL...I hear ya...I am not a big fan of Dodge trucks. Their trannys are historically garbage, gas guzzlers (although I hear the Hemi equipped w/ the MDS is decent on gas). When I was shopping around a few years back the Hemi made a claimed 345hp but made 11 ft/lbs less torque than the Titan which was rated at 305hp and 381ft/lbs. The Hemi made most of its power up top in the revs ...which in my opinion is not where a truck needs to make its power. My Titan would drag it all over the place. The Fords are supposed to make 300hp, but are the heaviest half ton out there (although, w/ the introduction of the new HUGE Tundra, I'm not sure if that's still the case..but then again the Tundra has 381hp & 401ft/lbs of toruque vs the Ford's 300 so even if its heavier that more than makes up for it) I have not had the chance to drive one of the new Chevys but hear they are very nice trucks. My cousin just bought the new Tundra and it sure is nice.

CHS_CG
12-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I am a Chevy girl. I have a 2007 Colorado right now and I love it. It gets good gas mileage and I've had my best friends apartment in the bed of my truck 3 times since I got the truck and it doesnt miss a beat. The new Silverado quad cab 4x4 is HEAVENLY. Its looks beautiful but I havent drove it yet on the terms that I'd probably trade my truck in for that one.

Old Tiger
12-28-2007, 11:57 AM
First off, it is a ford.
Second, what first said.

big daddy russ
12-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I've read up a lot on Fords and been test driving quite a bit. Mostly have compared them to Chevys, but here's my opinion on them:

-Probably the best-looking trucks out of the half-tons.

-Fords ride is complete garbage. Fords have by far the worst rides of the major brands. Going from a Ford to a Dodge is like night and day. Going from a Dodge to a Toyota like night and day. Going from a Nissan to a GM is like night and day. If the ride is of any importantce, look at Toyota or GM. But if you graduated HS in '04, ignore this sentence. It won't matter to you one bit.

-The reason Ford's ride (at least this is what I've heard) is because they're built for bigger jobs than most others. They're a little more sturdy, so if you're going to spend half your time out on the ranch, a Ford is great. But if you spend 99% of your time in a truck driving, look somewhere else. Again, if you graduated HS in '04, ignore this.

-Do you need the Ford to pull anything? Do you need a little extra power? If so, definitely get into the 5.4L V8. That small V8 is worthless towing anything of any size. GM's, Toyotas, and Nissans are especially strong in towing. GM's small V8 is an absolute beast. Great engine. The same rules for Dodges apply to Fords. Also, Ford engines just aren't as peppy as GM's or Nissans. Toyota, Ford, and Dodge engines are a little doggish when looking at the numbers. If you've ever gone from a Ford V6 pickup with 200 HP (my brother drives a 2002 single cab with a K&N) to a Chevy V6 pickup with 200 HP (I drive a stock 2003), you'd know the difference immediately. Same thing goes for the little V8's, and even the big V8's. Not saying that they don't have enough power, they just don't have the giddy-up.

-On that note, Ford's drivetrain is bulletproof. I rarely hear of people having problems with them. For all their problems with responsiveness and giddy-up, they're a great running gear.

-On top of everything, they're offering TONS of incentives right now. Great time to buy a Ford. $5500 off a single cab, $6500 off extended cabs (:eek: :eek: :eek: ), and $6000 off super crews if you buy before the end of the year. And those incentives are before you even start to talk the dealer down. With those kind of incentives, you should expect to walk out of there paying $10k less than sticker. When my GMC truck was brand new in 2003, it stickered for $21,735. GM was only offering $4500 in incentives, and mine was just a single cab pickup, but I still wound up with a bottom line of less than $14k before TT&L.

I'd say go for it. Sounds like a great truck and they look tight.

crzyjournalist03
12-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Anyone have any thoughts about this truck? Driving one right now that Arrow Ford has here in Abilene

you shouldn't drive and type at the same time...that's hazardous.

wyliegrad04
12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
[i]

-On top of everything, they're offering TONS of incentives right now. Great time to buy a Ford. $5500 off a single cab, $6500 off extended cabs (:eek: :eek: :eek: ), and $6000 off super crews if you buy before the end of the year. And those incentives are before you even start to talk the dealer down. With those kind of incentives, you should expect to walk out of there paying $10k less than sticker. When my GMC truck was brand new in 2003, it stickered for $21,735. GM was only offering $4500 in incentives, and mine was just a single cab pickup, but I still wound up with a bottom line of less than $14k before TT&L.

I'd say go for it. Sounds like a great truck and they look tight. [/B]

$6k off the Supercrew where? can't find that deal ... haha

big daddy russ
12-29-2007, 03:39 AM
$6k off the Supercrew where? can't find that deal ... haha
It's incentives for '07 SuperCrews from the factory. Every dealer has to honor them. If they're not giving you at least $6k off the vehicle, they're trying to screw you.

link (http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/incentives/offers/results/index.asp?model=F-150&year=2007&zip=77065&referrer=http://www.ford.com&planType=)

3afan
12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
I have had NO problems with my '05 F-150, except I did have a slow tire leak last week ... other than that - SOLID!

TexanAlum_06
12-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Bein since I work at a ford dealership I will post the rebates directly off the ford dealer website.

for ANY 2008 SUPERCREW including FX2 the rebates are as follows:

2500 factory rebate + 1000 Holiday bonus cash that ends on 1/2/08 which eqauls a total of 3500 Rebate.

If the Step up FX2 discount package is on the winder sticker then you should get an extra $500.

FOR ANY 2007 SUPERCREW:

5000 factory rebate + the 1000 holiday bonus customer cash that ends on 1/2/08

OR

You can take 1000 + the 1000 holiday cash and 0-5.9 % APR, depending on your credit.

If the 07 is a Texas/Oklahoma package you get an additional 1000$ off of 07 SUPERCREWS. does not apply to FX2's

ALL rebates on all ford vehicles will change on 1/2/08. More then likely they will stay about the same, some might go up and some down, depending on what ford really wants to sell. If I were to put money on it, they will drop a little bit and then in february when Truck Month rolls around you will see big rebates on 2008 F series and insanely big rebates on any remaining 07's, if there are any left.....

If I was looking to purchase one I would take all the rebates and then go to your local bank or credit union and set up some outside financing. reason being, you can take all the rebates and then still get a good interest rate, whereas if you finance with Ford you can either take all the rebates and get a crappy rate, even if you have good credit, or you can take less rebate and get good interest rate, but with outside financing you can get all the rebate and still get a good rate with your own bank. anyway just my 2 cents, anybody have any questions you can PM or whatever.

X21AAAPlayer
12-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I purchased just about the exact truck you are looking at right now and I love it! It's a great all around truck and there is much more room in the interior than I had expected. Also, I have not heard of anyone having problems with the f150 at all. When you go to the dealer, DON'T tell them what you want your payments at, they will find a way to make the payment look good but still manage to screw you in the end. Talk bottom line prices and be stern, even if you are in love with the truck. And shop around, another dealership may decide they want to beat their prices... Good Luck!

IHStangFan
12-29-2007, 11:33 AM
you guys gotta understand BDR's view on a truck's ride. He's looking for something that rides like an old 1976 Buick w/ old shocks....the old floater. That's not how a truck is supposed to ride. The closest thing to that would be the Chevys. It's a plain simple fact that a truck is going to have a somewhat stiffer ride than any car. The Fords are very solid feeling and ride just fine, the Nissan is even more solid feeling, you feel more connected to the road, but its a quiet, smooth ride. etc. Nothing wrong w/ the way any of them ride really when considering theyre trucks and what I truck drove like 10-20 yrs ago. HEY RUSS...IF YOU WANT SOMETHING THAT RIDES LIKE A CADDY.....BUY A CADDY.

That is all.

Daddy D 11
12-29-2007, 12:55 PM
i have a 2006 F150 extended cab FX4 and its amazing. there has never been one problem with it and it runs very smooth and quiet.

ive riden in the new chevys and they are quiet, but dont seem to be built has durable and good as my ford:) and dodges just suck:tongue:

big daddy russ
12-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
you guys gotta understand BDR's view on a truck's ride. He's looking for something that rides like an old 1976 Buick w/ old shocks....the old floater. That's not how a truck is supposed to ride. The closest thing to that would be the Chevys. It's a plain simple fact that a truck is going to have a somewhat stiffer ride than any car. The Fords are very solid feeling and ride just fine, the Nissan is even more solid feeling, you feel more connected to the road, but its a quiet, smooth ride. etc. Nothing wrong w/ the way any of them ride really when considering theyre trucks and what I truck drove like 10-20 yrs ago. HEY RUSS...IF YOU WANT SOMETHING THAT RIDES LIKE A CADDY.....BUY A CADDY.

That is all.
Or I could just buy a GM pickup.

And isn't that the definition of a good ride? That it doesn't beat you up on a trip?

I don't like the bouncy ride that you're describing... the old Buick with old shocks makes me nauseous. I like something that glides over potholes with minimal movement and jarring. The Fords tend to jar when a bit they hit something in the road (potholes, cracks, etc.) while the GMs will shift, but will do so almost unnoticed.

I don't like to "feel the road" like Hondas are notorious for. The stiffer suspension beats me up, especially on long trips. I'll get out of the car after being in it for 10 or 12 hours and be completely sore and tired. That's the reason GM's (at least Caddies, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles) ride better than anything else... better than my parent's Grand Marquis, better than my Grandparent's old Toyota Camry or their new Lincoln Town Car, better than one of Amanda's best friends' Accords, and better than everything else.

Now don't take that the wrong way. The Fords still ride alright for a pickup, especially considering where they've come from. Fords pickups, IMO, ride better than most Japanese cars, which weren't built for smoothness but stability. That says a lot when pretty much every truck on the market rides better than many cars, but when you drive a Ford from Corpus Christi to the Georgia state line then drive a GM from CC to the Georgia state line (which I've done), it's hard for me (with a bad neck and a bad back) not to notice.

But the definition of a good ride isn't necesarrily a ride so solid that you feel every bump in the road, but a ride that feels like it's driving down the smoothest stretch of pavement ever. Not bumpy, but not bouncy.