PDA

View Full Version : Legendary ACU track & field coach dies

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-27-2007, 05:04 AM
"Abilene, and the sport of track and field, lost a legend Wednesday when former Abilene Christian University coach Oliver Jackson died. He was 87."

Jackson routinely fielded one of the nation's best teams. He helped the Wildcats to their first of a nation-high 55 national track titles in 1952 and oversaw teams that won78 titles at the Texas, Kansas and Drake Relays -- three of his sport's most prestigious meets.

Jackson attended Highland Church of Christ with his wife, Bridget Marie (Biddie) Rowland Jackson. A family burial will be followed by a memorial service at 1 p.m. Saturday at Highland Church of Christ. Family visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Hamil Family Funeral Home of Abilene.

Article by: Daniel Youngblood

I'm not a track fan but i've heard a lot about this guy. Prayers go out to his family and the community of Abilene for his loss.

I wonder who will replace him.:thinking:
Anyone know?

wyliegrad04
12-27-2007, 07:52 AM
he isn't the current coach ... he is one of the FORMER coaches ...

wyliegrad04
12-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Passing of an ACU legend
Jackson built one of the premier track programs in the nation
By Daniel Youngblood (Contact)
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Olympic medalist Bobby Morrow is one of the greatest runners in the storied history Abilene Christian University's track and field program.

The American track star of the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, Australia, Morrow credits his former coach Oliver Jackson for helping him win three gold medals.

"He was the main reason," Morrow said. "I don't know anybody else in the world who could match Coach Jackson. Every athlete at Abilene Christian College wanted to perform well for him and because of him."

Jackson, who coached at ACU when it was called Abilene Christian College, died Wednesday. He was 87.

Jackson, a member of seven different Halls of Fame for his accomplishments, headed the school's track program from 1947 to 1963. During that time, he built one of the premier track programs in the nation. His teams dominated the competition at prominent track meets around the country, and he mentored athletes who set or tied 15 world records and won four Olympic gold medals.

"Abilene Christian has become nationally known for its track program and that's because Oliver Jackson built that tradition," said Earl Young, a former ACU runner who won gold in the 1,600-meter relay in the 1960 Olympics in Rome. "I've had the good fortune to travel around the country through my job and I've found that whenever Abilene Christian is known, it's for one of two things: the Church of Christ or track of field."

Morrow won gold medals in the 100- and 200-meter races and the 400-meter relay in 1956. He was one of many people who spoke Wednesday about Jackson's abilities as a coach, and his impact as a key figure in their lives.

Jackson, a former ACU running back, coached the offensive line for the football team until 1955. He was on the staff when the Wildcats went 11-0 in 1950, the team's only undefeated, untied season.

Wally Bullington, who played lineman under Jackson in the early 1950s before becoming the head coach and athletic director at ACU, said Jackson had the ability to teach and motivate athletes regardless of the sport.

"He just had a way of getting the best out of athletes," Bullington said. "He made you want to compete for him. There's no doubt he's a legend. It's amazing what he accomplished at Abilene Christian considering the size of the school."

But track and field is where Jackson made his biggest mark. During his 16 years as ACU's head track and field coach, he took a moderately successful track program and turned it into a household name.

Gifted with excellent recruiting ability to go along with his knack for developing talent, Jackson improved the caliber of athletes coming into and out of ACU.

His tenure began with open tryouts for students already on campus. But by the time he resigned in 1963 to pursue a career in the insurance business, he had developed a laundry list of internationally renowned track stars.

Including Morrow and Young, Jackson produced three athletes who competed for the United States in the Olympics. Billy Pemelton placed eighth in the pole vault in 1964 in Tokyo.

Two other Wildcats competed for the United States in other international events. Bill Woodhouse, a contemporary of Morrow, won a gold medal in the 400-meter relay at the 1959 Pan American Games in Chicago. James Segrest ran for the United States on the winning 400-meter relay team at the first USA-USSR dual meet in 1958 in Moscow.

"Oliver Jackson was a leader of men throughout his life," Young said. "He set a great example as a coach as far as teaching the right way to do things, and he did the same as a man. He set a great example of how to conduct your life."

To go with the accomplishments of his individual athletes, Jackson also produced great teams.

Under his watch, ACU won 78 titles at the Texas, Kansas and Drake Relays. And thanks largely to what he built, ACU has won more national track and field titles (55) than any other school in the nation.

During his years in coaching, Jackson had several opportunities to move to bigger schools. He turned down offers from several NCAA Division I schools, including one from Texas A&M in 1958.

His loyalty to ACU was rewarded in the way of championships and personal accolades.

He was elected into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1978, the ACU Hall of Fame in 1987 and the U.S. Track Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 1997.

In 1966, he was chosen by Sports Illustrated as a Silver Anniversary All-American award winner for his contributions to track and field and to his community.

And in November 1999, based largely on his era, Texas Monthly magazine named ACU track and field the state's Dynasty of the Century.

Former ACU sports information director Dr. Charles Marler said Jackson deserved every bit of recognition he received.

"He had an unusual mix of talents," Marler said. "Whether it was recruiting or coaching, he was top-notch at all of it. He was among the best half-dozen coaches of his time, and he's universally respected in coaching circles."