PDA

View Full Version : Iraan

Gsquared
12-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Students allowed to play
BY GEOFF FOLSOM
2007-12-21 19:36:00

Four members of Iraan High’s football team who were disciplined in the beating deaths of two deer will be allowed to return to the field in the fall, the school district’s superintendent said.

The deer were found at the school’s baseball field Dec. 7, apparently beaten to death in the bullpen.

The four students, who were all either first or second team All-District 8-1A football players, will spend 88 days in the spring semester in Disciplinary Alter-native Education Placement. The program educates them at an off-campus location.

“Once you've completed your period in the DEAP program, you return to normal student status,” he said. “Which means you have the rights of any other student.”

Two of the students were identified as Call Cade, a first-team all-district quarterback, and Zac Owen, a first-team running back, Capt. Scott Davis of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department said. Both Cade and Owen are 17.

Davis and Allen declined to give the names of the other students because they are minors.

The four will face up to $500 fines on two Class C misdemeanor counts when they meet with Pecos County Justice of the Peace Cathy Ervine and Davis for a plea hearing Jan. 8.

Allen said the punishment the students already face is among the most severe in the state. As part of the alternative program, the students will miss out on numerous University Interscholastic League spring athletic and academic competitions.

“We’re a small school, so our kids do a lot of different things,” he said.

The students will also face counseling.

A MySpace page in Cade’s name, which was set to private, listed his mood as “okay.” A quote on the page read, “we made a mistake!!!!!”

Messages to the page were not returned.

Allen said it would be up to coaches to determine if the players need to complete any additional tasks before rejoining the team.

Efforts to reach Iraan football coach John Fellows were not successful Friday.

Allen said school officials treated the discipline as if it were a felony.

“There are a lot of people that don’t think law enforcement handled this as harshly as they should have,” he said. “You are going to get disagreement. You either went too far, or you didn’t go far enough.”

Allen expects the students to have paid their debt to society by football season.

He does not, however, expect the Iraan Braves to have the potentially awkward football matchup with the Alpine Bucks, a team they played in 2007.

“We’re probably not going to schedule the Alpine Bucks, because they’re so much bigger than us,” he said.

SWMustang
12-26-2007, 01:08 PM
that was too funny about the Alpine Bucs. Would it have been a crime if they had hunting licenses and tags for whatever was killed?

Gsquared
12-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
that was too funny about the Alpine Bucs. Would it have been a crime if they had hunting licenses and tags for whatever was killed?
Yeah, after I read the coments about Alpine I thought it might be a joke or something.

Daddy D 11
12-26-2007, 01:20 PM

im guessing maybe because it was on public property? and animal cruelty, even though americans kill hundreds of thousands of a deer a year anyway, does not go over to well. Ive been hunting since i was five and our family has a ranch in south texas with LMP (land management permits) which means we have unlimited killing within the high fence and i even find that a little gruesome:( thats ridiculous

SWMustang
12-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
im guessing maybe because it was on public property? and animal cruelty, even though americans kill hundreds of thousands of a deer a year anyway, does not go over to well. Ive been hunting since i was five and our family has a ranch in south texas with LMP (land management permits) which means we have unlimited killing within the high fence and i even find that a little gruesome:( thats ridiculous

That's what I was thinking. It's legal to shoot 'em and have run a mile or so bleeding internally, but God forbid you punch 'em in the snout.

STANG RED
12-26-2007, 01:54 PM
That's what I was thinking. It's legal to shoot 'em and have run a mile or so bleeding internally, but God forbid you punch 'em in the snout.

I see a big difference. There is no cruel intention when you shoot one, unless you intentionally shoot them in the gut or hind end. Beating them to death simply is not acceptable behavior in my book, and should be severely punished.

Daddy D 11
12-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I see a big difference. There is no cruel intention when you shoot one, unless you intentionally shoot them in the gut or hind end. Beating them to death simply is not acceptable behavior in my book, and should be severely punished.
agreed, what would posess someone to do that i dont know? but one word comes to mind..punks:mad:

SWMustang
12-26-2007, 03:29 PM

I guess when you consider intention, there's a big difference. I'm pretty sure you can't kill a dear instantly (and therefore minimize suffering) with one punch. Now maybe if they duct taped razor blades to the deers hooves so they had a fighting chance to defend themselves, that would be OK. I'm going a little stir crazy today at work. Please excuse the rambling.

nobogey72
12-26-2007, 04:05 PM
The article said the deer were "beaten to death in the bullpen". Made me think of the Texas Rangers.:doh:

crzyjournalist03
12-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
The article said the deer were "beaten to death in the bullpen". Made me think of the Texas Rangers.:doh:

Who have had one of the best bullpens in baseball over the past 3 years???

The Rangers pitching problems stem from the rotation...the 'pen has been rock solid.

navscanmaster
12-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Who have had one of the best bullpens in baseball over the past 3 years???

The Rangers pitching problems stem from the rotation...the 'pen has been rock solid.

It was still a funny statement!:D

SpeedOption
12-27-2007, 12:41 AM
I agree with the school district. They enforced the rules. Much more than other school district. Good for them. Notice the parents were not up there complaining. Or Al or Jesse were up there protesting. Good for the school. Once the kids have served their time they have paid the debt according to school policy. I see this as a great lesson on how to run a school.

Gsquared
12-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
I agree with the school district. They enforced the rules. Much more than other school district. Good for them. Notice the parents were not up there complaining. Or Al or Jesse were up there protesting. Good for the school. Once the kids have served their time they have paid the debt according to school policy. I see this as a great lesson on how to run a school.
All in all, those kids out there on the Permian Basin, still say yes sir and no sir. Parents arent thier kids friends trying to bail them out all the time, they are parents.

boudreaux
12-27-2007, 09:35 AM
If they had beaten a dog or cat to death, the public outrage would have been stifling.

A deer is an animal just the same as a dog or cat, and deserves the same respect. If they had wanted to kill it, they should have shot it and been done.

In my humble opinion, they need to be drawn and quartered. It takes a sadistic you know what, to torture an animal.

STANG RED
12-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by boudreaux
If they had beaten a dog or cat to death, the public outrage would have been stifling.

A deer is an animal just the same as a dog or cat, and deserves the same respect. If they had wanted to kill it, they should have shot it and been done.

In my humble opinion, they need to be drawn and quartered. It takes a sadistic you know what, to torture an animal.

I think that’s getting a bit carried away. I'd bet these are otherwise good boys, but together they were just showing off to one another and did something real stupid. I'm sure those school officials know those boys and their parents well enough to know if there are deeper problems that need to be looked into, and decided this was the appropriate punishment. I think we all know someone that has done something really stupid and uncharacteristic in their past, but is not a true reflection of what kind of person they really are. I think the people that really know these boys and their parents are in the best position to determine how this should all be handled, and I think they did just that. They gave them a lot more than a simple little slap on the hand, but not a moniker that has to hang around their necks for the rest of their lives. I applaud the Iraan official’s actions, and think/hope it will prove to be the appropriate action for the long term.

Ranger Mom
12-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I think that’s getting a bit carried away. I'd bet these are otherwise good boys, but together they were just showing off to one another and did something real stupid. I'm sure those school officials know those boys and their parents well enough to know if there are deeper problems that need to be looked into, and decided this was the appropriate punishment. I think we all know someone that has done something really stupid and uncharacteristic in their past, but is not a true reflection of what kind of person they really are. I think the people that really know these boys and their parents are in the best position to determine how this should all be handled, and I think they did just that. They gave them a lot more than a simple little slap on the hand, but not a moniker that has to hang around their necks for the rest of their lives. I applaud the Iraan official’s actions, and think/hope it will prove to be the appropriate action for the long term.

I pretty much agree....I just hope none of them has a pet of their own!!:eek:

SWMustang
12-27-2007, 10:39 AM
I say we brand them with a Scarlet letter "C" for Cruelty and bandy them about town. The locals can throw tomatos at them and then they can volunteer at an animal shelter. Afterwards, maybe require them to nurse sick fawns back to health for 12 months.

Did I mention it's another day of total boredom at work?