PDA

View Full Version : Terry Glenn to Play Against Redskins

piratebg
12-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Cowboys WR Glenn set to return
December 25, 2007

By Carl Carchia
PA SportsTicker Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys and Terrell Owens received some coal in their stockings when the Pro Bowl receiver was injured on Saturday.

But help may be on the way in the form of veteran receiver Terry Glenn.

The 33-year-old Glenn, who was second in the NFC with 18.3 yards per catch last season, missed the first 15 games while recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery on September 13.

Rather than put Glenn on injured reserve, which would have ended his season, the Cowboys instead chose to save the wide receiver a roster spot.

Glenn practiced on a limited basis last week, and coach Wade Phillips said he likely will see some playing time in Sunday's season finale at Washington.

"I don't know that it'll be a maximum number - it won't be a full game," Phillips said on Monday of Glenn's possible role. "I'd like to get him playing, get him back into the rhythm of it, catch some passes. ... If he wants to start, he'll start.

"He ran a lot of go routes after we did his workout, 10 or 15 in a row and some other routes. It was encouraging. That's why I'm encouraged enough to say maybe this week we're going to see him on the field."

That is the best news to come out of Irving, Texas in a while, considering the commotion over quarterback Tony Romo's injured thumb and girlfriend Jessica Simpson.

The Cowboys (13-2), who have clinched home-field advantage, will definitely be without Owens vs. the Redskins (8-7) and maybe longer. Owens suffered a high ankle sprain in the first quarter of Saturday's 20-13 win over Carolina, and there is no time-table for his return.

Therefore, Glenn's return could not come at a better time. The Cowboys have a first-round bye, which gives Owens time to recover, and Glenn time to get back in the flow before their first playoff game on January 12 or 13.

Ironically, Glenn's absence has helped Owens have a monstrous season as the Cowboys' top deep threat. The 12-year veteran has 81 catches for 1,345 yards and a franchise-record 15 touchdowns thus far.

It is possible that the 34-year-old Owens, who returned from a broken leg in just over six weeks to play for the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX, can be ready for the Cowboys' first playoff game.

But Phillips is not too optimistic.

"Hopeful, but I wouldn't say confident," Phillips said. "We've had some of them (injuries) last longer than I thought. Looking at his background, after the MRI and some of those things they tell me, I think he'll be back.

"I know he's tough and I think he's a fast healer and all those things. I'm certainly hopeful but I don't know if confident is the word for me."

The uncertainty surrounding Owens makes Glenn's return even more significant. Even at less than 100 percent, the speedy Glenn is dangerous and adds a veteran presence to a now young receiving corps.

A 12-year veteran, Glenn caught 70 passes for 1,047 yards and six touchdowns last season to notch consecutive 1,000 yard campaigns for the first time in his career.

And while it remains to be seen how much Glenn can contribute, it certainly cannot hurt to add a 1,000 yard receiver come playoff time.

Need last-minute expert fantasy football advice? Watch Fantasy Football Live Sundays at noon ET/9am PT

Updated on Tuesday, Dec 25, 2007 3:22 pm, EST

Old Tiger
12-25-2007, 04:19 PM
He should play the entire game just to get back into game shape.

Leopards,class of 75
12-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Perfect timing to get Terry Glenn back!

BullsFan
12-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Excellent news! Couldn't happen at a better time.

Macarthur
12-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I'm glad he will get some snaps. I also want to see some extended time for Stainback.

Phil C
12-26-2007, 11:55 AM
This is great news. Just in time for the playoffs. Hopefully, we will rest our players with nagging injuries and have them well by playoff time. Not that we will give the game to Washington but we do need to not take risks and use what we have.