PDA

View Full Version : What Should Miami Do With The #1 Pick?

TexanFan4Life
12-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Word is they're not taking McFadden since they already have Ronnie Brown.

I consider Ryan Clady the best LT prospect in the draft, and he'll probably be shooting up people's draft boards in a couple of months. Jake Long figures to play RT in the NFL, so I doubt Miami would go with him. Baker's got a bit of an injury history, so there's going to be ???? around him.

But with The Tuna now making some personnel decisions, I think he's going to keep the #1 pick and take Glenn Dorsey. He said he wants to make the defense 'bigger and stronger', so I can only assume that Glenn Dorsey will be his man at #1. Then again, he could trade the pick for a slew of other picks/players.

Thoughts?

Old Tiger
12-25-2007, 03:09 AM
to build a team for the future you have to go defense. You have to also remember that Taylor and Thomas are getting older and older each year. So IMO they go defense to sure up that side of the ball. That is also what Parcells would like and he doesn't take RB's in the first round because he thinks he can get a good RB in the intermediate rounds.

Daddy D 11
12-25-2007, 11:07 AM
will clay :D

TheDOCTORdre
12-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
will clay :D
Will Clay is my boy

BreckTxLonghorn
12-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Trade down--get more picks. This is going to be a huge rebuilding project, and by trading to the #3 or #4 spot, the 'Fins can get their first or second pick they want, plus others to help start the uphill climb.

Old Tiger
12-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Trade down--get more picks. This is going to be a huge rebuilding project, and by trading to the #3 or #4 spot, the 'Fins can get their first or second pick they want, plus others to help start the uphill climb. I don't think you can pass over the top prospect in this draft and the most explosive player in Glen Dorsey especially when you are trying to build your defense with youth and size.

IMO top 5 prospects in this draft are;
1. Glen Dorsey - DT, LSU
2. Darren McFAdden - RB, Arkansas
3. Jake Long - LT, Michigan
4. Chris Long - DE, Virginia
5. Matt Ryan - QB, Boston College

piratebg
12-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Tuna is always thinking defense first. I don't see that changing at all.

blowfish
12-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Dallas should trade its two #1 picks to Miami plus one player like Roy Williams for Miami's first pick. Then Dallas should select McFadden with the pick.

CelinaCatFan
12-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree with Blowfish. I would love to see Dallas get McFadden. However, I think they would need to give up both their #1 picks this year and next year's #1. If this is the case, I would still do it.

big daddy russ
12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I love Dorsey, but I think the 'Fins should trade down and get some picks. It rarely works out bad for the team trading down (See Saints/Eagles '99--the Ricky Williams/McNabb trade--and Chargers/Falcons '99--the Vick/LT trade) and another stud on defense can be found a few picks down.

While he's not perfectly suited for their hybrid defense, Sedrick Ellis may be one of the most underrated prospects in the draft at this point and could fit in nicely at DE for the 'Fins. I'd rather have Ellis and, say, Quentin Groves (who would be an ideal OLB in that system... can get in the backfield and disrupt an offense with the best of them and is better at the POA than most people give him credit for) or Frank Okam or Red Bryant (who are both big and strong enough to play nose in an NFL 3-4) than just Dorsey.

IMO, they SHOULD trade out of the first pick, trade Zack Thomas and Jason Taylor for picks (they'd probably each draw a mid-round pick, maybe third rounder, depending on the team trading for them), and use those picks to shore up the front seven and maybe pick up an offensive lineman or CB if they have enough picks. Commit to stopping and establishing the run first and foremost, then work on everything else.

As a 'Fins fan, here's my ideal draft:
Trade the #1 overall pick for the Raiders' first- and second-rounders along with a second-rounder next year. Then trade Thomas and Taylor for two third-rounders, and Miami has seven first-day picks this year to go along with an extra second-rounder next year.

Just an example of who they could likely nab with each pick:
#5-#8 overall (via Oakland)- Sedrick Ellis, DT/DE USC
#33 overall (2nd Round)- Quentin Groves, OLB Auburn
#37-#40 overall (2nd, via OAK)- A solid cover corner... Shore up half the field before going after a playmaker... Maybe keep one of those USF corners close to home
3rd Rounder- Red Bryant, DT TAMU
3rd Rd. (via Taylor)- An elite OG, maybe Eric Young out of Tennessee (it'll help that run game tremendously)
3rd Rd. (via Thomas)- An ILB with decent speed and good size, maybe that Johnson kid out of Okie State

Wouldn't the defense suddenly look a lot better? And Ronnie Brown could average more than four yards a carry assuming Satele continues to develop at C and we upgrade at OG.

BTW, this is all assuming Bill Parcells and Cam Cameron get together and start using the 3-4 more often than they did this year. Just one Miami fan's opinion.

big daddy russ
12-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Dallas should trade its two #1 picks to Miami plus one player like Roy Williams for Miami's first pick. Then Dallas should select McFadden with the pick.
As a Miami fan, I wouldn't mind seeing us do this, either. Then maybe we can keep a primary 4-3 and move Williams to OLB.

TexanFan4Life
12-26-2007, 02:39 AM
As a Texans fan I'd favor a trade sending Dunta Robinson to Miami, as part of a big package, for that #1 pick. I believe Asante Samuel is a must have for us this offseason, and with the emergence of Fred Bennett this season Dunta has become expendable.

I just don't know if Darren McFadden is worth the #1 pick. He's a little 'Reggie Bush'-like. Plus, I tend to think you can find quality RBs in the mid-rounds of the Draft. I would probably make the trade with Miami, then trade the #1 pick back, possibly to New England for their 1st and 2nd Rounders this year, in addition to future considerations.

I agree that Miami's got an uphill battle in rebuilding their franchise, and a bargaining chip like a #1 pick must be used to their advantage. Just my $0.02.

injuredinmelee
12-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Word is they're not taking McFadden since they already have Ronnie Brown.

I consider Ryan Clady the best LT prospect in the draft, and he'll probably be shooting up people's draft boards in a couple of months. Jake Long figures to play RT in the NFL, so I doubt Miami would go with him. Baker's got a bit of an injury history, so there's going to be ???? around him.

But with The Tuna now making some personnel decisions, I think he's going to keep the #1 pick and take Glenn Dorsey. He said he wants to make the defense 'bigger and stronger', so I can only assume that Glenn Dorsey will be his man at #1. Then again, he could trade the pick for a slew of other picks/players.

Thoughts?

plegarized almost word for word off of ESPN?

Phil C
12-26-2007, 12:47 PM
From what I have seen if there is a great QB available you take him. If there is a great RB available you take him. If there are both a great RB and QB available you take the QB. That is what experts have told me.

grizz53
12-26-2007, 01:57 PM
As a Dallas fan I hope they dont trade their two first round picks. Even though i think McFadden is going to make a heck of an NFL running back, the offense is not where the Cowboys need help. They should use those two picks to draft some help for their lack luster secondary.

Old Tiger
12-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by grizz53
As a Dallas fan I hope they dont trade their two first round picks. Even though i think McFadden is going to make a heck of an NFL running back, the offense is not where the Cowboys need help. They should use those two picks to draft some help for their lack luster secondary. You can pick up complentary RB's to MBIII in later rounds if they want to get rid of Jones. IMO Kenny Phillips would be a great pick.

Daddy D 11
12-26-2007, 02:21 PM
i just would not draft mcfadden. like someone said earlier he is just like reggie bush. and reggie bush does not fit into the style of ball the NFL plays. Bush really isnt doing much of anything at the NFL level as far as consistancy and mcfadden wont either. i would go with dorsey from LSU, he is a beast. and a good D line is money in the NFL

crzyjournalist03
12-26-2007, 02:28 PM
If I'm the Dolphins, I'm taking Dorsey.

Txbroadcaster
12-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
i just would not draft mcfadden. like someone said earlier he is just like reggie bush. and reggie bush does not fit into the style of ball the NFL plays. Bush really isnt doing much of anything at the NFL level as far as consistancy and mcfadden wont either. i would go with dorsey from LSU, he is a beast. and a good D line is money in the NFL

McFadden is NOTHING like Bush..Darren is 6'2 215..He is taller than Adrian Peterson and only two pounds lighter

Bush came out of college at 6'0 around 200

There running styles are different..Bush is a scatback type, while McFadden IMO runs alot like Eric Dickerson did, long stride and a speed burst

big daddy russ
12-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
As a Texans fan I'd favor a trade sending Dunta Robinson to Miami, as part of a big package, for that #1 pick. I believe Asante Samuel is a must have for us this offseason, and with the emergence of Fred Bennett this season Dunta has become expendable.

I just don't know if Darren McFadden is worth the #1 pick. He's a little 'Reggie Bush'-like. Plus, I tend to think you can find quality RBs in the mid-rounds of the Draft. I would probably make the trade with Miami, then trade the #1 pick back, possibly to New England for their 1st and 2nd Rounders this year, in addition to future considerations.

I agree that Miami's got an uphill battle in rebuilding their franchise, and a bargaining chip like a #1 pick must be used to their advantage. Just my $0.02.
Settle down on all counts, chief.

1.) DMC is nothing... I repeat NOTHING like Reggie Bush. I don't even know how you could come close to saying that. Two entirely different types of backs.

2.) Robinson's already one of the league's best corners. If you did all that, wouldn't you basically be trading Dunta Robinson (one of the best corners in the league... a premium position) to move up eight picks or so? This isn't a marquee draft outside of maybe Dorsey and McFadden, so the Texans fan in me (they're my second-favorite team) can't find a single reason to do that. Asante Samuel isn't a huge step up from Dunta, and although he may be SLIGHTLY better in coverage (read: slightly overrated because he plays on the best team in football), Robinson helps out huge in run support.

This trade just seems like a trade for the sake of making a trade. Change because the Texans need change. But in all honesty, if Houston picks up a solid LT (will Ryan Clady be there, or will his stock continue to rise?) they're a playoff team. Heck, they may be a playoff team without one.

The only areas the Texans must feel the need to upgrade are at LT, RB, and FS. No reason to trade away their second-best defensive player (and he was their best defensive player until earlier this year) so that we can get a first-round pick with negligible value.

big daddy russ
12-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
McFadden is NOTHING like Bush..Darren is 6'2 215..He is taller than Adrian Peterson and only two pounds lighter

Bush came out of college at 6'0 around 200

There running styles are different..Bush is a scatback type, while McFadden IMO runs alot like Eric Dickerson did, long stride and a speed burst
My bad. Didn't see that TXB had already touched on this.

TexanFan4Life
12-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Settle down on all counts, chief.

1.) DMC is nothing... I repeat NOTHING like Reggie Bush. I don't even know how you could come close to saying that. Two entirely different types of backs.

2.) Robinson's already one of the league's best corners. If you did all that, wouldn't you basically be trading Dunta Robinson (one of the best corners in the league... a premium position) to move up eight picks or so? This isn't a marquee draft outside of maybe Dorsey and McFadden, so the Texans fan in me (they're my second-favorite team) can't find a single reason to do that. Asante Samuel isn't a huge step up from Dunta, and although he may be SLIGHTLY better in coverage (read: slightly overrated because he plays on the best team in football), Robinson helps out huge in run support.

This trade just seems like a trade for the sake of making a trade. Change because the Texans need change. But in all honesty, if Houston picks up a solid LT (will Ryan Clady be there, or will his stock continue to rise?) they're a playoff team. Heck, they may be a playoff team without one.

The only areas the Texans must feel the need to upgrade are at LT, RB, and FS. No reason to trade away their second-best defensive player (and he was their best defensive player until earlier this year) so that we can get a first-round pick with negligible value.

I was talking to a couple of sportswriters from the Chronicle today and ran my idea of trading Dunta by them. They pointed out 2 things:

1) Dunta's trade value has dropped tremendously since his injury, even once he gets healthy. They have doubts he can EVER return to his pre-injury form.

2) They're not sure Asante Samuel would want to come play for a not quite .500 team unless we pay him in the neighborhood of $10M/season.

We had a good discussion about it, and they brought up the one thing I was afraid of. I have to believe that some team out there would be willing to take a shot on him, even after the injury, in hopes he would return to the 'old Dunta'.