PDA

View Full Version : Texas High School Football History?

kepdawg
12-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm not looking for answers to a specific question. I'm not looking for dates. I am curious how well you (that would be the person reading this) believe your general grasp of Texas High School Football history is. Trust me, I am in no way implying I have a good grasp on things.

Some general topics of interests:

Have there always been two divisions?

How does the UIL decide which teams go D1 and which team goes D2?

Has the UIL always used overtime? What happened if a game was tied?

Have three teams always gone to the playoffs?

How are district tiebreakers decided?

Which school was disqualified after winning a state championship?

Where is Gordon Wood most famous for coaching?

What school has played in the most state championship games?

Top 10 best teams of all time? Which schools and what year are always in the argument? (I've got 2 schools/years in mind)

Again, I'm not looking for answers, but I know you will give them anyway! ;)

I am curious how well you believe your general grasp of Texas High School Football history is.

IHStangFan
12-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I'm not looking for answers to a specific question. I'm not looking for dates. I am curious how well you (that would be the person reading this) believe your general grasp of Texas High School Football history is. Trust me, I am in no way implying I have a good grasp on things.

Has the UIL always used overtime? What happened if a game was tied?

Top 10 best teams of all time? Which schools and what year are always in the argument? (I've got 2 schools/years in mind)

I am curious how well you believe your general grasp of Texas High School Football history is. I don't consider myself an expert by any means...but I can answer the majority of these questions.

big daddy russ
12-23-2007, 10:46 PM
I couldn't remember the school that was dq'd in the championship, I'll throw out Cuero as the team that has played in the most championships, but I don't know either of those for sure. All the rest I know. BTW, guessing Big Sandy and Daingerfield as the two teams in the top ten question, right?

kepdawg
12-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I couldn't remember the school that was dq'd in the championship, I'll throw out Cuero as the team that has played in the most championships, but I don't know either of those for sure. All the rest I know. BTW, guessing Big Sandy and Daingerfield as the two teams in the top ten question, right?

I don't expect people to name the two teams I had in mind necessarily, but if you were to make a list of the top 10 teams I would expect to see the two I have in mind on the list.

3afan
12-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Which school was disqualified after winning a state championship? wasn't that Carter?

WOS87
12-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg

No. There have only been two in 5A since 1990, 4A since 1996, 3A & 2A since 1998 and 1A & 6-man since 2006.

In 5A, the 4 teams with the best records in round-robin district play qualify for the playoffs from each district. The qualifiers with the two largest enrollment of the four enter the D1 playoff bracket, the qualifiers with the two smallest enrollment of the four enter the D2 playoff bracket. In 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A, only the top 3 teams from each district qualify, with the largest enrollment qualifier entering D1 and the two smallest enrollment qualifiers entering D2. In 6-man, the state is already divided in to 12 D1 districts which include those programs with the largest enrollment schools, with two teams from each district qualifying for the D1 playoffs. Those programs in the lower 50% in enrollment are divided into 12 D2 districts, with two teams from each district qualifying for the D2 playoffs.

Has the UIL always used overtime?

No. Overtime was only first introduced by the UIL in 1996.

What happened if a game was tied?

Originally, back in the 1920's, if two teams tied, they had to replay the entire game over again until one team won, in order to break the tiebreak. From the late 1920's thru 1995, the primary tiebreak was "penetrations" which is the number of times a team crossed inside an opponent's 20 yard line during a game. This was used to break ties in all playoff games except in state finals. Unless both coaches agreed prior to the game to have a tiebreak method, if a state championship ended in a tie, both teams were proclaimed co-champs. Only once in UIL history have two coaches agreed to use a tiebreak method to decide a state championship and actually have it go in to effect (1932 - Corsicana and Ft Worth Masonic Home ended in a 0-0 tie but Corsicana was declared the sole state champ due to both teams agreeing beforehand that penetrations would be used to decide a sole champ in the case of a tie).

No. From 1920-1981 only the district champion from each section/district qualified for the playoffs. Starting in 1982 the top two teams from each district qualified. In 5A they started allowing the top 3 teams to qualify from 1990-2005, and since 2006 the top 4 teams were allowed in. In 4A, they started allowing 3 teams per district to qualify starting in 1996. In 3A & 2A, 3 teams per district advanced to the playoffs starting in 1998 and in 1A, 3 teams per district advanced starting in 2006. 6-man never allowed 3 teams to advance. Rather, from 1982-2005 two teams per district advanced and starting in 2006 the two division system described above was starting with 2 teams from each D1 and D2 district qualifying.

That is a decision left up to each individual District Executive Committee to decide. If there is a dispute within a district and a district cannot come to a consensus agreement before a certain deadline, they forfeit their right to have any team advance to the playoffs and that slot in the bracket becomes a bye.

Stamford was the first school to be stripped of a state title in 1959 after they were found to have several UIL recruiting violations. Stamford beat Brady 19-14 on the field, but the title was taken from them several months later.

In 1988 Dallas Carter was proclaimed the 5A state champ after beating Converse Judson 31-14 on the field. A court battle that started before the 1988 playoffs even began ensued and lasted all the way until January 1991, at which time the UIL finally ruled Carter had used an ineligible player and every game Carter played that season was considered forfeited and the title was taken from them and given to Converse Judson.

He is MOST famous for coaching at Brownwood, where he lead the program to become the first ever to win 7 state titles between 1960 and 1981. Overall, he was head coach for 43 seasons, won 25 district championships and 9 state titles (7 at Brownwood and 2 at Stamford). In addition to stints at Brownwood and Stamford, he also was head coach at Rule, Roscoe, Seminole, Winters and Victoria High at various times. He retired in 1985 and passed away back in 2003.

Odessa Permian and Converse Judson are tied, playing in 11 state championship games each, with each winning 6 of the 11 titles. (Judson obtaining one of the six by forfeit over Dallas Carter as mentioned above).

Either Houston Yates '85 or Galena Park North Shore '03 will be found near the top of most All-Time Top 10 lists. Other teams that pop up frequently include: Waco 1927, Daingerfield 1983 and Big Sandy 1975. The Dallas Carter team from 1988 has developed a certain mystique around it which has increased over time (largely due to the book and film "Friday Night Lights"), but in actuality their record was not any more stellar than any other 5A State champ since then. In fact, both Carter, and the Permian team they faced in the State Semifinals that year entered the playoffs in the runnerup slot for each of their respective districts.

You knew that I wouldn't be able to resist.... ;)

kepdawg
12-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
No. There have only been two in 5A since 1990, 4A since 1996, 3A & 2A since 1998 and 1A & 6-man since 2006.

In 5A, the 4 teams with the best records in round-robin district play qualify for the playoffs from each district. The qualifiers with the two largest enrollment of the four enter the D1 playoff bracket, the qualifiers with the two smallest enrollment of the four enter the D2 playoff bracket. In 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A, only the top 3 teams from each district qualify, with the largest enrollment qualifier entering D1 and the two smallest enrollment qualifiers entering D2. In 6-man, the state is already divided in to 12 D1 districts which include those programs with the largest enrollment schools, with two teams from each district qualifying for the D1 playoffs. Those programs in the lower 50% in enrollment are divided into 12 D2 districts, with two teams from each district qualifying for the D2 playoffs.

Originally, back in the 1920's, if two teams tied, they had to replay the entire game over again until one team won, in order to break the tiebreak. From the late 1920's thru 1995, the primary tiebreak was "penetrations" which is the number of times a team crossed inside an opponent's 20 yard line during a game. This was used to break ties in all playoff games except in state finals. Unless both coaches agreed prior to the game to have a tiebreak method, if a state championship ended in a tie, both teams were proclaimed co-champs. Only once in UIL history have two coaches agreed to use a tiebreak method to decide a state championship and actually have it go in to effect (1932 - Corsicana and Ft Worth Masonic Home ended in a 0-0 tie but Corsicana was declared the sole state champ due to both teams agreeing beforehand that penetrations would be used to decide a sole champ in the case of a tie).

No. From 1920-1979 only the district champion from each section/district qualified for the playoffs. Starting in 1982 the top two teams from each district qualified. In 5A they started allowing the top 3 teams to qualify from 1990-2005, and since 2006 the top 4 teams were allowed in. In 4A, they started allowing 3 teams per district to qualify starting in 1996. In 3A & 2A, 3 teams per district advanced to the playoffs starting in 1998 and in 1A, 3 teams per district advanced starting in 2006. 6-man never allowed 3 teams to advance. Rather, from 1982-2005 two teams per district advanced and starting in 2006 the two division system described above was starting with 2 teams from each D1 and D2 district qualifying.

That is a decision left up to each individual District Executive Committee to decide. If there is a dispute within a district and a district cannot come to a consensus agreement before a certain deadline, they forfeit their right to have any team advance to the playoffs and that slot in the bracket becomes a bye.

Stamford was the first school to be stripped of a state title in 1959 after they were found to have several UIL recruiting violations. Stamford beat Brady 19-14 on the field, but the title was taken from them several months later.

In 1988 Dallas Carter was proclaimed the 5A state champ after beating Converse Judson 31-14 on the field. A court battle that started before the 1988 playoffs even began ensued and lasted all the way until January 1991, at which time the UIL finally ruled Carter had used an ineligible player and every game Carter played that season was considered forfeited and the title was taken from them and given to Converse Judson.

He is MOST famous for coaching at Brownwood, where he lead the program to become the first ever to win 7 state titles between 1960 and 1981. Overall, he was head coach for 43 seasons, won 25 district championships and 9 state titles (7 at Brownwood and 2 at Stamford). In addition to stints at Brownwood and Stamford, he also was head coach at Rule, Roscoe, Seminole, Winters and Victoria High at various times. He retired in 1985 and passed away back in 2003.

Odessa Permian and Converse Judson are tied, playing in 11 state championship games each, with each winning 6 of the 11 titles. (Judson obtaining one of the six by forfeit over Dallas Carter as mentioned above).

Either Houston Yates '85 or Galena Park North Shore '03 will be found near the top of most All-Time Top 10 lists. Other teams that pop up frequently include: Waco 1927, Daingerfield 1983 and Big Sandy 1975. The Dallas Carter team from 1988 has developed a certain mystique around it which has increased over time (largely due to the book and film "Friday Night Lights"), but in actuality their record was not any more stellar than any other 5A State champ since then. In fact, both Carter, and the Permian team they faced in the State Semifinals that year entered the playoffs in the runnerup slot for each of their respective districts.

Maybe you have saved us from getting answers from everybody!

It just amazes me at times how little people seem to know.

I don't expect them to know exact details about everything, but I think most people should have general knowledge of everything I mentioned.

Leopards,class of 75
12-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Thanks for all the good info.!!!!

mwynn05
12-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Pittsburg had a team that did things similar to that 83 daingerfield team around the same team

g$$
12-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I don't consider myself an expert by any means...but I can answer the majority of these questions.

Me too, but my late father was quite the historian (& not just sports) so I came by it naturally. Great stuff WOS, had forgotten about Stamford.

Gordon Wood's teams were plain vanilla, & just out-executed you all day long. Fundamental football at its finest.

1983 Daingerfield was legit - still haven't seen a 3A team or many others in any class that could play with them. They were that good - big, fast, physical, & intimidating. So much talent on the field & future pros on both teams in 1983 3A Finals. They talked it & walked it. My hometown of Sweeny found out to the tune of 42-0 in the State Finals in Waco! Long, cold night with snow flurries watching a beatdown while in junior high.

Stownhorse
12-24-2007, 05:16 AM

No. From 1920-1981 only the district champion from each section/district qualified for the playoffs. Starting in 1982 the top two teams from each district qualified. In 5A they started allowing the top 3 teams to qualify from 1990-2005, and since 2006 the top 4 teams were allowed in. In 4A, they started allowing 3 teams per district to qualify starting in 1996. In 3A & 2A, 3 teams per district advanced to the playoffs starting in 1998 and in 1A, 3 teams per district advanced starting in 2006. 6-man never allowed 3 teams to advance. Rather, from 1982-2005 two teams per district advanced and starting in 2006 the two division system described above was starting with 2 teams from each D1 and D2 district qualifying.

You knew allllllll that right off the top of your head?

DU_stud04
12-24-2007, 06:45 AM

In 5A, the 4 teams with the best records in round-robin district play qualify for the playoffs from each district. The qualifiers with the two largest enrollment of the four enter the D1 playoff bracket, the qualifiers with the two smallest enrollment of the four enter the D2 playoff bracket. In 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A, only the top 3 teams from each district qualify, with the largest enrollment qualifier entering D1 and the two smallest enrollment qualifiers entering D2. In 6-man, the state is already divided in to 12 D1 districts which include thhe stole my answerose programs with the largest enrollment schools, with two teams from each district qualifying for the D1 playoffs. Those programs in the lower 50% in enrollment are divided into 12 D2 districts, with two teams from each district qualifying for the D2 playoffs.

he stole my answer^^^^
:D

i knew everything besides stamford being stripper. i knew carter had been.