PDA

View Full Version : Herring to be Texas A&M defensive coordinator

kepdawg
12-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Source: Herring to be Texas A&M defensive coordinator

08:21 PM CST on Sunday, December 23, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Arkansas interim head coach Reggie Herring won’t be out of work after the AT&T Cotton Bowl. Herring has agreed to become the new defensive coordinator at Texas A&M, a source close to the negotiations said Sunday.

Herring, who has worked at TCU and with the NFL’s Houston Texas, has been the Razorbacks’ defensive coordinator the last three seasons. He assumed the interim head coaching role when Houston Nutt resigned on Nov. 26.

An A&M spokesman could not confirm whether Herring, 48, would join the Aggies. An Arkansas spokesman could not be reached.

Herring did not want to talk about his future during an interview with The Dallas Morning News last Thursday. He was focused on helping Arkansas defeat Missouri on Jan. 1.

“I'll have work, trust me, I just can’t talk about it right now,” Herring said. “My focus is totally on this bowl game and I’m very fortunate to have this opportunity.”

According to the source, Sherman is also courting another well-known name to join the A&M coaching staff — Major Applewhite.

The former Texas quarterback is currently the offensive coordinator at Alabama. The move isn’t considered a slam dunk. Applewhite would be the quarterbacks coach at A&M. He’d have to accept a lower title and probably a pay cut.

At least one current A&M coach will probably be staying when Sherman assumes control of the team in January. Cornerbacks coach Van Malone is likely to stay on in a similar capacity. Rivals.com has reported that Malone was still making recruiting visits on behalf of A&M in December.

Herring would be the one defensive coach A&M fans would focus on most. He’d be charged with fixing a once-proud unit that ranked 84th nationally in total defense this season and allowed 26.1 points per game.

Arkansas’ defense was among the best in the Southeastern conference in 2006. The Razorbacks allowed only 18.3 points per game, the 24th-best total in the nation, and 299.6 yards per game.

This season, the Razorbacks had the nation’s fifth-best pass efficiency defense and allowed 25.6 points per game.

Herring was three-year starting linebacker at Florida State (1978-80). He was a graduate assistant at Oklahoma State under Jimmy Johnson in 1981 and promoted to full time the following year. He eventually became the defensive coordinator at TCU in 1992 and `93 under Pat Sullivan.

Herring spent eight seasons at Clemson and then worked for the Texans in 2002 and 2003. He spent one season as defensive coordinator at North Carolina State before landing at Arkansas.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/122407dnspoamcoach.463b11d7.html)

g$$
12-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Texas A&M:

DC does look to be Reggie Herring.

OC possibly Bill Musgrave.

QBs coach possibly Major Applewhite, but that is very iffy.

Van Malone only current asst. to stay on board.

Staff will have mix of pro & college guys.

**Looks like Jon Hoke will stay with Houston Texans, & quite possibly will get a promotion too. Family matters factored into this too. Texans' DC Richard Smith is under lots of heat right now & there is talk Hoke could be bumped up from DBs coach.

All formal announcements will come after Alamo Bowl. And a few things could still change too.

Daddy D 11
12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas A&M:

DC does look to be Reggie Herring.

OC possibly Bill Musgrave.

QBs coach possibly Major Applewhite, but that is very iffy.

Van Malone only current asst. to stay on board.

Staff will have mix of pro & college guys.

**Looks like Jon Hoke will stay with Houston Texans, & quite possibly will get a promotion too. Family matters factored into this too. Texans' DC Richard Smith is under lots of heat right now & there is talk Hoke could be bumped up from DBs coach.

All formal announcements will come after Alamo Bowl. And a few things could still change too.

i dont believe it ...

haha:D

g$$
12-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/12/24/razorback_central/122507uafbherringresponse.txt

As of now & maybe just posturing, Herring is denying the report. Says he is talking to 3 schools & has not made a decision.

We'll just have to wait & find out soon. I think it will be Herring or Hoke, but really don't know. Lots of variables in play...

g$$
12-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Looking like Clancy Barone as OC now...

(no, not Tony Barone!)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/122807dnspoambarone.2c5ad76.html