PDA

View Full Version : rattlesnakes in December?

lostaussie
12-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I killed 3 on friday with my bow and missed a forth. I can't even hunt now for thinking about rattlers:doh:

STANG RED
12-23-2007, 09:11 PM
That is very odd!:confused: They should have been denned up for weeks now. Any construction in the area that may have disturbed a den?

lostaussie
12-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
That is very odd!:confused: They should have been denned up for weeks now. Any construction in the area that may have disturbed a den? i think unfortunately, the den is under our ranch house. 70 degree weather before the weekend had them looking for some sunshine. all the ones i killed were right up against the house. anybody ever smoked any out. i'm looking for suggestions. on a warm day, with the right equipment, i think i could kill a truckload.

STANG RED
12-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i think unfortunately, the den is under our ranch house. 70 degree weather before the weekend had them looking for some sunshine. all the ones i killed were right up against the house. anybody ever smoked any out. i'm looking for suggestions. on a warm day, with the right equipment, i think i could kill a truckload.

Very hard to smoke them out! The smoke rises and it doesnt irritate them enough. Drip gas through a spryer works best, if you can get your hands on any. Problem is the smell will be around for a while. Moth balls disolved in gas works when sprayed also but then again there is the smell again. Also the gas needs to be done on a warm day when they can move, or they'll just lay there and die. Then you have another bad smell on your hands. The gas needs to be sprayed behind them to chase them toward clean air, and it really just needs to be the fumes instead of the raw gas. Again though, if its not a nice warm day, they will just die. Best to just wait till spring.
Also need to get some momma cats to keep around the farm house. They will keep them under control for ya.

IHStangFan
12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
dang man! must be all of this cold-hot-cold weather. The guy above is on it....although I've used mothballs once they are chased out and they tend to keep them from returning.