PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Pre Season Top 10

FrmSTx
12-23-2007, 01:45 AM
who do you think will be top 10 teams in 3A for next year...I guess the 2008 season starts tomorrow.

Here are mine...

1. Navasota
2. Liberty Hill
3. Celina
4. Brownwood
5. Stephenville
6. Cuero
7. Gilmer
8. Wylie
9. Sealy
10. La Marque

No justification, just picks...all three of those current 4As may be 3A...Brownwood turned in lower numbers than Wylie!

setxsports
12-23-2007, 01:51 AM
LaMarque stays 4A! WOS will be in the top 5

TexanFan4Life
12-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by FrmSTx
who do you think will be top 10 teams in 3A for next year...I guess the 2008 season starts tomorrow.

Here are mine...

1. Navasota
2. Liberty Hill
3. Celina
4. Brownwood
5. Stephenville
6. Cuero
7. Gilmer
8. Wylie
9. Sealy
10. La Marque

No justification, just picks...all three of those current 4As may be 3A...Brownwood turned in lower numbers than Wylie!

Insert Sealy into the Top 5, bump Brownwood down, take Gilmer out.

Why do you think Navasota will be so tough? Are they returning a lot?

FrmSTx
12-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Pratt was 1st team all state as a JR

TexanFan4Life
12-23-2007, 02:07 AM

Aaannnnnddddddd........... :confused:

kepdawg
12-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Aaannnnnddddddd........... :confused:

You're easily confused, aren't you? :thinking:

NDFootball
12-23-2007, 02:29 AM

Here are mine...

1. Navasota
2. Liberty Hill
3. Celina
4. Brownwood
5. Stephenville
6. Cuero
7. Gilmer
8. Wylie
9. Sealy
10. La Marque

It will be interesting to see which teams will make the drop to 3a...

FrmSTx
12-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Over the last 10-15 years, the face of 3A has changed and aged with the times...I think it is going to get a face-lift, botox, nose job, lasek, and laser hair removal all on the First Tuesday of February! I think we will see to top jump and the bottom drop...It was crazy to have empty and 4/5 team districts and region 1 and 4 with 10-20 less teams than region 2 and 3

navscanmaster
12-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Pratt was second team all state. Chris Whaley of Madisonville was first team all state, so under that logic and that logic alone, Madisonville should be ranked highly.
I would not say the Rattlers are number one material to start the season next year. Lots of ifs on defense, but overall, yes, the Rattlers return a trove of players, with the only big losses being DE Otis Greenwood and SS Trey Rauschek (First Team AS). I think they are top ten material anyhow, and here is why:

1. 8 starters return on offense, including QB Stokes, RB Pratt, WR Jackson, WR Lamascus, WR Harris (also DB), WR Sweed (also DB) and huge OL Calhoun.
2. Good defensive secondary, including Sweed, Harris, FS Hildreth, and a good pash rush from DE Byrd and DT Williams. If Pratt gets to see significant time at LB, he will solidify the linebacking core. He was a game changer when inserted in our struggling defense during the playoffs. (6 second half Jasper points, 7 second half LH points *yeah, yeah they had two fumbles and kneeled at the 3, still*).
3. Three round deep playoff experience does a lot for a young team. They have played four top 15 teams, made a HUGE comeback, and gotten hammered by the best running team in the 3A ranks in years, who just happened to be the second #1 team they faced in one year.
4. New stadium and a revival of the loud, proud, standing fan base from the past. The players feed so well off the Navasota crowd and the atmosphere of Rattler Stadium.

1. West Orange-Stark (it all comes together this year)
2. Liberty Hill (reloaded without jamming as usual)
3. Gilmer (offense is sensational, defense always good)
4. Cuero (they will be good. Can't help but be)
5. Navasota (looks like a good spot)
6. Celina (the program, people, the program)
7. Brownwood (welcome to 3A, don't be surprised if you don't dominate)
8. Wylie (welcoming Brownwood to 3A)
9. China Spring (they have been getting more solid every year)
10. Sealy (just a hunch, but they were young and improved VERY quickly)
11. Madisonville (Whaley = only questions are on defense)
12. Wimberley (return to glory, but tough road getting there)
13. Sweetwater/Snyder (to appease the masses)
14. Rockdale (no matter how sarcastic he is, Go Blue seems to know a few things. I trust they will be good.)
15. Argyle (hmmmmmm.....)

I know you said top ten, but I think 15 gets you a little better picture.

Fire Away
:wave:

Old Tiger
12-23-2007, 09:35 AM
1. Liberty Hill - Till they get beat
2. Celina
3. Stephenville
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Brownwood
6. Madisonville
7. Navasota
8. Gilmer
9. Abilene Wylie
10. Sweetwater

griff
12-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Are you certain Stephenville will be in 3A next year?

Aesculus gilmus
12-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure Gilmer should be ranked that high.

The Buckeyes are putting in a new offense and it may take a while to work out the kinks.

Something called the "Slot T."

Just kidding. ;)

Pmoney
12-23-2007, 11:21 AM
if Stephenville drops they will be number 1

charlesrixey
12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
not if La Marque does too

VWG
12-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Stephenville turned in around 1050, don't think top number of 3A will go that high.

Dominicfrank
12-23-2007, 12:01 PM
as usual Vernon doesnt get any love. 3-4 rounds deep almost every year. Oh well.

HM33
12-23-2007, 12:39 PM
How about El Campo. Last cut off they were 9 kids over. I have a feeling they will drop to 3A and they will be a very tough team.

Mustangpride09
12-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Dominicfrank
as usual Vernon doesnt get any love. 3-4 rounds deep almost every year. Oh well.

But what do you guys have returning?

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 03:02 PM
1. Liberty Hill
2. Celina
3. West Orange-Stark
4. Brownwood
5. Abilene Wylie

thats the only five i feel comfortable about putting up there, but i do not think madisonville or navasota belong in the to ten.

CHSfan
12-23-2007, 04:31 PM
how many seniors are graduating from Liberty Hill this year! cuz i know of alot of good players that are graduating!! i think they will not be as good this next year but they will still be good.....or lets rephrase that how many starters are they losing?

WylieBulldog92
12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by CHSfan
how many seniors are graduating from Liberty Hill this year! cuz i know of alot of good players that are graduating!! i think they will not be as good this next year but they will still be good.....or lets rephrase that how many starters are they losing?
Teams always lost a lot of starters doesn't necessarily mean anything if you judge it by that Wylie would barely make it through district by people's predictions, its more of how did the JV do and how good are the players stepping in for them and the backups behind the starters.

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 04:40 PM
we lose: 8 on offense. 7 on defense.

our JV team has lost 1 game in 5 seasons:devil: we will be just fine:)

WylieBulldog92
12-23-2007, 04:43 PM
we lose: 7 offense, 8 defense, I think some players started at different times during the season, so depending on how you look at it the numbers can be different.

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
we lose: 7 offense, 8 defense, I think some players started at different times during the season, so depending on how you look at it the numbers can be different.

same here, we rotated our defensive tackles very frequently and our secondary a little less frequently. Our defensive ends will be the toughest to replace, but we have players that can hopefully fill in.

swstangs001
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Brownwood turned in lower numbers than Wylie!

yeah but wylie is always like 3 or 4 ppl under the count

CHSfan
12-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Teams always lost a lot of starters doesn't necessarily mean anything if you judge it by that Wylie would barely make it through district by people's predictions, its more of how did the JV do and how good are the players stepping in for them and the backups behind the starters.
you dont have to preach to me about loseing players...been there last year we lost 32 seniors!! and our jv picked it up and will do the same this year!! i am just stating that i dont think they will be as good next year as they were this year!!

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by CHSfan
you dont have to preach to me about loseing players...been there last year we lost 32 seniors!! and our jv picked it up and will do the same this year!! i am just stating that i dont think they will be as good next year as they were this year!! thats not a very gutsy statement to make considering we just won state:doh: but then again, people said that after the first title and we repeated, so who knows:devil:

Stownhorse
12-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
2. Celina
3. Stephenville
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Brownwood
6. Madisonville
7. Navasota
8. Gilmer
9. Abilene Wylie
10. Sweetwater

I like this one. First ranking was crap, but this one is better. I just think that Brownwood shouldnt be ranked that high until they prove themselves in 3A. Oh yea and Sweetwater at 10? naaaaa

charlesrixey
12-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11

our JV team has lost 1 game in 5 seasons:devil: we will be just fine:)

we lose something similar (both lines and the QB)

but our few remaining offensive starters are Waldrep, Romero, McCartney

we'll see how it all turns out

a total guess, but i'd say roughly 6-7 starters lost on O, and 7-8 on D

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 05:37 PM
both coaching staffs will be tested this next year for LH and CELINA

Stownhorse
12-23-2007, 05:39 PM
both coaching staffs will be tested this next year for LH and CELINA

Nothing that they haven't been through before.

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Nothing that they haven't been through before.

very true. our offense will be fine, and our D line also, itll be interesting to see who takes over some of the secondary positions. it could be a very "green" group

gatordaze
12-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
we lose something similar (both lines and the QB)

but our few remaining offensive starters are Waldrep, Romero, McCartney

we'll see how it all turns out

a total guess, but i'd say roughly 6-7 starters lost on O, and 7-8 on D

Although we are losing 29 Seniors, there are 22 Juniors, 35 Sophmores, and 45 Freshman to re-build from. Not to mention a 8th grader that could see some playing time next year!

CelinaCatFan
12-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I'd be very suprised if that 8th grader (frosh to be) doesn't see the field some next year. Stay tuned!

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
I'd be very suprised if that 8th grader (frosh to be) doesn't see the field some next year. Stay tuned!

id be surprised if he does, i know nothing about the kid obviously but Celina has alot of talent. it would be awfully hard for a freshman to sniff the field in the mix of all the talent if you ask me

CelinaCatFan
12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Romero ( a freshman) played a ton this year and even made the 7-on-7 All State Tournament Team last summer. It can happen.

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
Romero ( a freshman) played a ton this year and even made the 7-on-7 All State Tournament Team last summer. It can happen.
Romero and this other kid must really be studs then:clap:

bobcat1
12-23-2007, 06:45 PM
They are without a doubt.

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
They are without a doubt.

are you sure?;)

bobcat1
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
yes

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 06:54 PM
haha i had to ask, just because you were so certain. i believe you bobcat

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Snyder goes 5 rounds deep and they don't deserve a top 10 stop?

Old Tiger
12-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Snyder goes 5 rounds deep and they don't deserve a top 10 stop? You are in division II region I ;)

HEMOTOXIC
12-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
2. Celina
3. Stephenville
4. West Orange-Stark
5. Brownwood
6. Madisonville
7. Navasota
8. Gilmer
9. Abilene Wylie
10. Sweetwater

Not bad Go Blue. It will be really interesting to see if La Marque and El Campo drops down. From Navasota playing La Marque, granted that it was in 96, and Liberty Hill this year, Liberty Hill was by far the most dominating opponent that I have ever seen Navasota play in a playoff game. What the Liberty Hill program has going is special. Wouldn't it be great to see Liberty Hill tangle with Stephenville, La Marque or the El Campo RiceBirds if they indeed drop down to 3A?
As far as the Rattlers go, I would love to see them tangle with
Madisonville again next season. After playing the Mustangs in their opening game this past season, I truely believe that had Navasota and Madisonville hooked up in the playoffs, the Rattlers would have dominated the Mustangs.....From what I am hearing, old district foe, Huntsville, may be added back to the Rattlers schedule next season. I can't wait to tangle with The Big Bad Cubs from Brenham again!

My Top 10

1. Liberty Hill
2. Celina
3. West Orange Stark
4. Abilene Wylie
5. Gilmer
6. Dallas Rooselvelt
7. Navasota
8. Cuero
9. Jasper
10. Madisonville

1. Liberty Hill
2. La Marque
3. Stephenville
4. Celina
5. WO Stark
6. Abilene Wylie
7. Gilmer
8. Dallas Rooselvelt
9. Navasota
10. El Campo

I forgot to mention Burnet. Can they get back to the level of play
that they had before going to 4A?

kepdawg
12-23-2007, 11:24 PM

You see...when you have a one man team and that one man graduates...

Daddy D 11
12-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You see...when you have a one man team and that one man graduates...
hahahaha thats harsh

Mustangpride09
12-24-2007, 01:16 AM

Do you not realize how bad Snyder's 09 class is?

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-24-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't care that Snyder won't be as good next year as they was this year but they should get credit for going 5 rounds deep.

bandera7
12-24-2007, 01:58 AM
Watch out for Bandera next year...we lost alot but the kids have been working really hard every day. They hold team practices that I can say the coaches had absolutely nothing to do with. Its just the quarterback getting them all together and every day throwing and working mechanics while the lineman do their program...and this is on top of what the coaches have them do ever day in off season. I am excited to come back and watch next year, this group will be good.

IHStangFan
12-24-2007, 02:37 AM
1. Progresso
2. Stafford
3. Goliad
4. Aransas Pass
5. Sinton/Yoakum
6. Hempstead
7. Lamesa
8. Buffalo (when they move up next year)
9. Pearsall
10. Falfurrias

kepdawg
12-24-2007, 02:39 AM
I don't care that Snyder won't be as good next year as they was this year but they should get credit for going 5 rounds deep.

If it were a 2007 post season poll that'd be fine, but not for a 2008 pre season poll!

TexanFan4Life
12-24-2007, 03:20 AM
You're easily confused, aren't you? :thinking:

Since when does the presence of a 2nd Team All State RB make your team worthy of a #1 Preseason ranking? That's all I'm trying to say. Navasota's offense is powerful enough, but their defense often plays without any intensity. I think Pratt is the real deal at RB, but they're nowhere near being a Top 8-10 caliber team....much less #1.

Response?

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
1. Progresso
2. Stafford
3. Goliad
4. Aransas Pass
5. Sinton/Yoakum
6. Hempstead
7. Lamesa
9. Pearsall
10. Falfurrias

Is this the top 10 worst teams in the state?

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-24-2007, 03:24 AM
If it were a 2007 post season poll that'd be fine, but not for a 2008 pre season poll!

It don't matter what peoples opinionated polls are on here.

TexasFootball will know were to put us.

TexanFan4Life
12-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Is this the top 10 worst teams in the state?

He was joking. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Stafford listed.

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-24-2007, 03:25 AM
He was joking. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Stafford listed.

LOL, I knew he had to of been.

I did also when I seen Lamesa I mean LMAO over and over again hahah.

Stownhorse
12-24-2007, 04:35 AM
hahahaha thats harsh

Harsh but true.

HEMOTOXIC
12-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Since when does the presence of a 2nd Team All State RB make your team worthy of a #1 Preseason ranking? That's all I'm trying to say. Navasota's offense is powerful enough, but their defense often plays without any intensity. I think Pratt is the real deal at RB, but they're nowhere near being a Top 8-10 caliber team....much less #1.

Response?

We are talking about a Rattler team that played well above what anyone expected. In 2005 and 2006, Navasota was 3-7. This year, the Rattlers improved to 7-3 and 9-3 overall. Most of their team from 2007 will be returning next year. I like their chances. And, Yes, I do believe that they are a top 10 team going into next season. In addition, the defense was tested alot this year. But, they can and have showed that they can play defense. You don't make it as far as the Rattlers did in a tough district 23-3A without being able to play defense. Granted the D was not as good as Giddings and Liberty Hill, but the talent level is definately there. Navasota's D will be much improved come next year.

TexanFan4Life
12-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
We are talking about a Rattler team that played well above what anyone expected. In 2005 and 2006, Navasota was 3-7. This year, the Rattlers improved to 7-3 and 9-3 overall. Most of their team from 2007 will be returning next year. I like their chances. And, Yes, I do believe that they are a top 10 team going into next season. In addition, the defense was tested alot this year. But, they can and have showed that they can play defense. You don't make it as far as the Rattlers did in a tough district 23-3A without being able to play defense. Granted the D was not as good as Giddings and Liberty Hill, but the talent level is definately there. Navasota's D will be much improved come next year.

I need to see a little more from their defense before I go there with Navasota, but like I said, your offense is as good as anyone's IMO. Any news about Fedora? Is he staying?

OldBison75
12-24-2007, 02:43 PM
I agree that Navasota has the potiential to be a top team next year. But the potiential has to include the defense becoming more aggressive and consistent. I think we can score with and on just about everybody. But, can we keep them from scoring on us regularly. I miss the dominant defense of the 80's and early 90's. I believe Navasota will be a top 10 team if the early season proves to them they can dominate, but, these guys have to believe that they can win without outsscoring the opponent but with dominating and continuing to play sound offense. Injuries and so many varibles cand change the team chemistry so fast. I think this may be the toughest challenge for the coaching staff--make these kids believe they have only begun to be good and they can do so much more if they work hard and believe.

HEMOTOXIC
12-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I need to see a little more from their defense before I go there with Navasota, but like I said, your offense is as good as anyone's IMO. Any news about Fedora? Is he staying?

I haven't heard anything yet. Someone posted that he would make a decision while on Christmas break.

HEMOTOXIC
12-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I agree that Navasota has the potiential to be a top team next year. But the potiential has to include the defense becoming more aggressive and consistent. I think we can score with and on just about everybody. But, can we keep them from scoring on us regularly. I miss the dominant defense of the 80's and early 90's. I believe Navasota will be a top 10 team if the early season proves to them they can dominate, but, these guys have to believe that they can win without outsscoring the opponent but with dominating and continuing to play sound offense. Injuries and so many varibles cand change the team chemistry so fast. I think this may be the toughest challenge for the coaching staff--make these kids believe they have only begun to be good and they can do so much more if they work hard and believe.

Well put. Once they believe that they can do it, anything is possible. It first begins with the coaching staff and the kids establishing a bond. The coaches must continue to work to strenghten not only the coach/player relationship but also the coach/parent relationship too. Overall, Navasota has come a long way in that department since Fedora. If they continue to improove, we will all be amazed at the number of players who not only come out to play sports but also the heart that they will show. I also think that the new Rattler Stadium has encouraged more and more players to work harder. It is a beautiful site on Fridays seeing the stands filled, the band and drill team sitting in the end zone, and the jumbotron capturing it all.

GreenMachine
12-25-2007, 09:54 PM

our JV team has lost 1 game in 5 seasons:devil: we will be just fine:) And your 1 loss was to Cuero, yet you didn't put them on your list :thinking:

JT44
12-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
1. Progresso
2. Stafford
3. Goliad
4. Aransas Pass
5. Sinton/Yoakum
6. Hempstead
7. Lamesa
9. Pearsall
10. Falfurrias

THE BOTTOM 10!:clap:

nobogey72
12-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Everybody's polls on here have included Wylie in the top 10 which is flattering, but, there is no way. We have never started out the year (exception 02) been ranked very high in preseason polls. Mainly, because we never have many returning starters, which is all you can really go by. We graduate 39 seniors this year and have maybe 2 full time starters on each side of the ball coming back. Lots of Jr.s that got quality PT, but not starters. But, the JV went undefeated for the first time I can remember in 25 years and like they say, "tradition never graduates".

44INAROW
12-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
And your 1 loss was to Cuero, yet you didn't put them on your list :thinking:

nice pickup GreenMachine :D